Christy absent 70% of the time!

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Re: Christy absent 70% of the time!

Postby Urbane » Nov 29th, 2014, 9:52 pm

flamingfingers wrote:The thrust of my argument was the fact that during a scheduled sitting of the legislature, where the government justifies its policies and procedures under questioning from the Opposition, the 'leader' of the governing party was absent 75% of the time. If government can operate without leadership 75% of the time, why do we need this kind of 'leadership' at all?
You display a complete lack of understanding of the way government works. You're telling us that the government of this province is operating without leadership 75% of the time because Premier Clark didn't attend 75% of the legislative sessions. You should read up on how government works flaming. Wow! And I thought we weren't supposed to mention the opposition in this thread or is it okay if we don't say "NDP"?

2 people like this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9023 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 30th, 2014, 7:11 pm

^^And you ACTUALLY think that Christy is 'leading' this province? NFL!! It still does not excuse her from not being present in the legislature to appear to 'lead' her party.
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5838 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 30th, 2014, 7:56 pm

My personal experience was that most meetings were an utter waste of time. Whenever I could I made excuses to get out of useless meetings that were just puffery. I made time to attend meetings that were going to be constructive and useful.

Given the way that the NDP have conducted themselves for the past few years, I would use every excuse in the book to get out wasting time in the Legislature. The legislature is supposed to be about debating issues of substance, not mud slinging silliness. It was much better when Carole James was NDP leader, but then the backstabbing weasels came out of the closet and did her in after she busted her hump to rebuild the party from the ashes left by Glen Clark.

The day these clowns did that to Carole was the last day I ever gave them any credibility.

So now the best they can do is mock CC and intimate that it is CC that lacks substance? The current NDP leadership wouldn't know what substance is if it hit them in the face. Where are the constructive policy suggestions? Why do they try and sabotage rather help build up things like LNG that will help this province?

"We" are paying for that nonsense 100% of the time. The Liberal cabinet at least works FOR the province, or their vision of it, most of the time. All we get from the NDP is zero, and we are paying for that??

It is not CC and the Liberals that are absent, it is the NDP party that is absent as a force for good in this province 100% of the time.

And no, I didn't vote for either of them. I'm just fed up with a bunch of do nothings with vacant minds as our official opposition. This bunch aren't worthy of tying the shoes of a credible politician and opposition leader like Mulcair.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 6602 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Nov 30th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Why do they try and sabotage rather help build up things like LNG that will help this province?

Maybe try to keep up to date here. Horgan has sided with the ChristsyLiberals in advancing LNG. Don't you even bother to update yourself from time to time?
Why do people who fancy themselves "fiscal conservatives" not scream at hidden debt accumulated in the past dozen years? Or, do they only object to spending on social programs?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5838 posts

Postby Urbane » Nov 30th, 2014, 9:35 pm

flamingfingers wrote:Maybe try to keep up to date here. Horgan has sided with the ChristsyLiberals in advancing LNG. Don't you even bother to update yourself from time to time?

The NDP is in favour and opposed flaming. Let me help you update yourself:

Les Leyne: NDP’s position on LNG a bit confusing
LES LEYNE / TIMES COLONIST
NOVEMBER 29, 2014

The NDP Opposition spent hours criticizing the bill that imposes a tax regime on any liquefied natural gas plants that open in B.C.

Then they voted in favour of it.

Then, moments after it passed, NDP Leader John Horgan suggested a future NDP government would take a hard look at changing the terms set out in the bill his caucus just supported.

What gives?

There are a lot of political issues pushing and pulling the party on the LNG issue that dominated the fall sitting of the legislature. Horgan manoeuvred as best he could, but the course he set has to leave some people confused about where the party stands.

The Opposition is obligated to oppose, of course. So any government bill is going to be criticized. There will never be any cheerleading for government initiatives.

But they learned a searing lesson in the 2013 election campaign about how costly it can be when voters conclude that the NDP is against job-creating projects. Horgan has spent some time in his seven months as leader trying to undo the damage predecessor Adrian Dix did when he lurched into a position against an oil pipeline, which alienated a number of working people.

At the same time, Horgan has to keep an eye on metro Vancouver’s enviro voters. They helped defeat Premier Christy Clark in Vancouver-Point Grey and a few other Liberals elsewhere in town. If Horgan moves too far into the resource-development camp, they could just move on to the Greens, even if natural gas isn’t nearly as toxic an issue as oil currently is.

So when the proposed tax regime arrived in the legislature, the NDP was trying to straddle a number of divides.

Trying to explain the vote to reporters later, Horgan might have talked himself into another problem, by opening the possibility of changing some terms in the bill he just supported.

He opened by again supporting the general LNG concept. He touched on the Opposition’s obligation to express concerns, but said: “Ultimately, we need to say to British Columbians, this is a bipartisan issue.

“When we stood with [Liberals] to vote in favour of a bill that was deficient in terms of what I believe the returns should be to B.C., it sends a signal … we want to see this proceed.”

Then things got a bit confusing.

“In order for this to proceed, we need certainty. If we’re going to get final investment decisions, we need to have a tax framework. I believe the framework is inadequate. I’ve said that, I will say that to the companies when I meet with them and they should be on record and they should know that when the government changes in 2017, I’m going to be wanting to look at those agreements.

“Bills are passed into law, governments change laws.”

Horgan said he wouldn’t rip up contracts like the B.C. Liberals, “but I will negotiate after 2017 with any company that wants to do business in B.C.”

Changing the tax regime is a “possibility, absolutely.”

He closed with: “I’m not suggesting today I’m going to change the tax regime, because we don’t have any final investment decisions. What I’m saying is: We supported this so there was certainty for the industry so they can proceed and if I get the opportunity to form a government, we’ll talk about it then.”

Generally supporting LNG is slightly safer for the NDP than being against it. But talking about changing the key deal before the industry has even signed on doesn’t do much for “certainty.”

As far as the B.C. Liberals are concerned, the bill is a mixed blessing. Its passage is one of the final moves the government will make on the file. They’ve set the table, now it’s up to industry to decide if it wants to pull up a chair.

But the tax rate set in the bill is dramatically lower than the theoretical upper limit that was discussed just a few months ago. Figuring out how to adjust expectations downward could be just as confusing as tracking what the NDP really thinks of it all.

[email protected]

- See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/opinion/co ... DR4um.dpuf

Rwede likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby George+ » Dec 1st, 2014, 8:58 am

Clark is simply doing the duck and hide role
of a political chicken.
No respect for the legislature and elected members, whatsoever.
No surprise, though.
Her inability to answer questions is classic.
George+
Guru

Liked in: 684 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Dec 1st, 2014, 9:12 am

Excellent post Urbane. It shows the problem in microcosm. The NDP leadership are wasting time criticizing something that they are going to vote for. And just for political reasons. Absolutely no coherent position on a key issue for this province, and by salting their position with fence straddling about taxes on LNG, they create cost uncertainty for potential investors. Uncertainty equals risk, however small. That affects the risk/reward equation and could be a tipping point in that calculation for potential investors. In other words, it adds a little bit of sabotage.

Why didn't Horgan stand up like a leader and say, "this is the best we can get, that's why we voted for it"??? Simple honesty for a change.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

3 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 6602 posts

Postby George+ » Dec 1st, 2014, 9:17 am

Because NOTHING is actually happening with LNG.
Just more political hot air,
And plummeting prices.
George+
Guru

Postby Urbane » Dec 1st, 2014, 9:57 am

George+ wrote:Clark is simply doing the duck and hide role
    of a political chicken.
    No respect for the legislature and elected members, whatsoever.
    No surprise, though.
    Her inability to answer questions is classic.
Directing personal attacks the premier's way . . . how's that been working out for you??

Rwede likes this post.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby Rwede » Dec 1st, 2014, 11:24 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 1st, 2014, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5117 posts

Postby George+ » Dec 1st, 2014, 12:12 pm

Urbane. Ah ha ha ha
As your buddies like to say...
Kettle meet the pot.
Short memory for Adrian Dix and the ridiculous attacks?
George+
Guru

Postby Urbane » Dec 1st, 2014, 1:53 pm

George+ wrote:Urbane. Ah ha ha ha
    As your buddies like to say...
    Kettle meet the pot.
    Short memory for Adrian Dix and the ridiculous attacks?
I don't agree with ridiculous attacks on either side, George, and in the end it was Dix's policies that did him in at the last election.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Postby George+ » Dec 1st, 2014, 3:24 pm

But you attacked Dix quite nicely.

Your BCTF president candidate?
George+
Guru

Postby Logitack » Dec 1st, 2014, 3:28 pm

smh @urbane

fail
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 663 posts

Postby The Green Barbarian » Dec 1st, 2014, 3:32 pm

smh @ Logitack

Dimwit
This current unelected NDP government is a disgrace.

Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists - Dr. Don Boys
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 13171 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Bickering Room