Kelowna Rail Closure

the quadguy
Fledgling

Re: Kelowna Rail Closure

Post by the quadguy »

Another attraction that we could watch from the floating grandstand would be the pretty spandex bi-cycle riders at top speed trying to avoid huge piles of horse dung(hey how come they don't have to pick it up like dog doo) , Maybe the bags would be too big.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Pay up, suckas.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#128542

Love this part:
The District of Lake Country’s estimated share is $5.1 million. To minimize the current tax impact to residents the District will be seeking approval to borrow up to approximately 50 per cent of this amount.

Given the regional benefits of public ownership, the City of Kelowna has additionally agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding with the District of Lake Country that would see Kelowna acquire a 50 per cent interest in the land within Lake Country boundaries on a temporary basis.

This abates the immediate cost to Lake Country until such time as the District purchases the share back from the City.

“Given that we are neighbours with shared borders, this is a mutually beneficial agreement for Kelowna and Lake Country,” says Gilchrist.

“The arrangement alleviates the debt load for the District of Lake Country’s residents, protects the opportunity of all the jurisdictions to finalize the deal with CN and preserves the corridor as a continuous route physically connecting the communities of the Central and North Okanagan with no current tax impact for Kelowna residents.”

Are people really so STUPID as to think that they will get this portion at half price, because the balance is borrowed?

What a con job!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Rwede wrote:
Are people really so STUPID as to think that they will get this portion at half price, because the balance is borrowed?

What a con job!

The half price refers to the following:

While the original asking price of the corridor was $50 million, the negotiated cost of the corridor is a combination of $22 million in monetary consideration and land donation for which the City of Kelowna will issue CN with a charitable donation receipt.

You may want to read the full article you posted before calling others stupid...
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

No, the part that I was referencing was the DLC move to borrow 50% of their portion, trying to con people into thinking this is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Borrowing exponentially increases the cost to the taxpayer, layering gobs of debt on future generations. But what do we expect from a left wing council and mayor?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If the powers that be were as uber right wing as you, we'd have a society full of overweight/under-exercised people with an allergy to anything that doesn't revolve around how much money they can spend on useless crap that'll help them sit on their duffs: Pedal a bike? Hike up the switchbacks? Fk no, gimme a quad.. durrrrr.

I've heard it said that BC is the most active and fit province, and this trail is in keeping with what has produced that result.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

kgcayenne wrote:I've heard it said that BC is the most active and fit province, and this trail is in keeping with what has produced that result.

Definitely. Unfortunately, fitness still seems to be a failing for so many. The benefits of a healthy populace far outweigh the costs associated to providing opportunities such as this trail. Cycling would undoubtedly be the most popular use of this corridor and, due to the mechanics of the sport, could be utilized by all age groups and types of riders. Young families and older, more physically challenged riders would benefit as well. It will not be something that is beyond the grasp of most. To say it will just be for the spandex crowd is a cheap excuse. Simply get a bike and enjoy the trail and the benefits of some exercise.
I birn quil I se
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Stockpiled money is worthless to a population that is too unhealthy to use it.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Just think, all them crotchety old mobility scooter riders, may soon be able to go to Vernon..if the battery holds up..
I dont know of many folks that don't know anyone with a bike, that would probably use the trail.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
jswiftkelowna

Post by jswiftkelowna »

This is going to be such a great benefit to the Okanagan. Can't wait to enjoy it with my family. It will connect our region in a safer, more enjoyable way. Considering how much gets spent on roads for cars, it's about time that our governments spend more money on pathways for people.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I can't wait to go for a bike ride along Kal Lake in the summer.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

don't count on that this summer
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I'm not.

I know the tracks are only supposed to be lifted by the end of 2015 (pending the sale).

But one summer tends to come around each year in these parts.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

mite wanna keep in mind the ten years its gonna take to sort out the first nations issue lol
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Its been a little bit surreal around here without the trains running, from my standpoint at least. Every time I have to cross the old tracks, I hope I might see the bright headlights of the train that will not be coming!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

jswiftkelowna wrote: it's about time that our governments spend more money on pathways for people.

You're saying it's time governments spend MORE of OUR money? Really? Because that's what this is, OUR money, not government's money.

Checked your wallet lately?

Return to “Central Okanagan”