Man accused in doctor beating granted bail

Bretbaby
Übergod

Man accused in doctor beating granted bail

Post by Bretbaby »

Thoughts?

*bleep*/newsitem/man-accused- ... il/it17043

ENTICTON - A Summerland man accused of the savage beating of a Penticton doctor was released, pending payment of $50,000 bail, Thursday, Feb.19.

Gregory Stanley Nield is accused in the Dec. 5, 2014 assault of a Penticton psychologist in the hospital’s psych ward.

Nield’s attack left the doctor unconscious resulting in severe facial injuries, including various fractures and a broken jaw.

Judge Meg Shaw said she was satisfied the bail conditions set by both defence and Crown counsel would be sufficient to allow Nield to be released on bail.

Nield will have to obey a list of 11 strict conditions in order to maintain his freedom.

Those conditions include a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., to his place of residence at an orchard property in Summerland. He will be allowed free movement only between two orchard acreages owned by his family. Other than that, he is not allowed to leave the property at any time except under the supervision of an adult approved by his bail officer.

Nield is also restricted from possessing weapons, and is not allowed to consume alcohol or illegal drugs.

Nield, who is 31 years old has no prior criminal record, and has been married for three years. He has joint custody of a daughter from a former relationship.

His next appearance in court is scheduled for Mar.11.
twobits
Guru

Re: Man accused in doctor beating granted bail

Post by twobits »

Bretbaby wrote:Thoughts?

Thoughts? OK. Guy was in the system getting help. Just about killed the Doctor trying to access and help him. His MMA fighting skills overtook his mental capacity for reasoning like a normal human being. Now, we will pay to keep this person incarcerated for lord knows how many years? My compassionate side says we need to invest in finding out what created this anger and see if he can be helped. The practical side devoid of emotional response says a bullet is only a dime.....why prolong the misery to innocents in our society?
For debate purposes, I'll throw it back. Thoughts?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I'll chime in.

I don't think it's fair to make an opinion of the situation until the full truth has come out. We don't know what went on. It doesn't justify the beating, but given the fact he was in a mental institution to begin with, we have to question the policies and procedures that were followed that led to this.

When a man has a history of violence, being alone with him and likely provoking him probably isn't the best idea.

Here's to a full recovery for both parties.
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

To begin with, as a patient, his name should never have been released, the name has never been for the similar incident in Kamloops,as an example. Having known him and his family for many years, this is so out of character. From my understanding of the situation, he definitely needed help and was given wrong medications, which put him over the top. If there ever was a case for someone deserving of help, this young person certainly is. We are so quick to help those that don't deserve it and will never change.
He deserves a fair hearing and I am sure a lot of what we don't know will come out at that time.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

ToddT wrote:I'll chime in.

I don't think it's fair to make an opinion of the situation until the full truth has come out. We don't know what went on. It doesn't justify the beating, but given the fact he was in a mental institution to begin with, we have to question the policies and procedures that were followed that led to this.

When a man has a history of violence, being alone with him and likely provoking him probably isn't the best idea.

Do you know something we don't know? Unless you've got something to back up that comment, I'd say that's an awful thing to say.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. That's irrelevant. A beating like that doesn't usually happen without provocation.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

ToddT wrote:Maybe I do, maybe I don't. That's irrelevant. A beating like that doesn't usually happen without provocation.

Sometimes it does when the person is very unstable, as clearly this man was. A doctor doing his job is considered provoking him? He might deserve help but should also be locked up while receiving said treatment.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

All of this and not a word for the unfortunate psychiatrist who was beaten and still not back at work. I'd have to say that he is the victim, not the one who did the beating.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

A local summerland massage therapist. Jacked up goon fighting MMA. He was in the psychiatric ward for a reason. Now he is out walking around. No problem! Let's see if he does it again then figure it out. He broke the doctors jaw for Christ's sake.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

ToddT wrote:I'll chime in.

your a out and out as nuts as this nutball if you believe what you just posted.This guy is a crazy dangerous Crazy *bleep* and should not be out on bail
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I'll accept that.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Has the doctors name been released? I haven't seen it published anywhere.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

old boy wrote:To begin with, as a patient, his name should never have been released, the name has never been for the similar incident in Kamloops,as an example. Having known him and his family for many years, this is so out of character. From my understanding of the situation, he definitely needed help and was given wrong medications, which put him over the top. If there ever was a case for someone deserving of help, this young person certainly is. We are so quick to help those that don't deserve it and will never change.
He deserves a fair hearing and I am sure a lot of what we don't know will come out at that time.

I agree with the comment on the wrong medication. My sons medication was changed and I blame that for his demise.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
darkaengel

Post by darkaengel »

for the record there is a big difference between and MMA (mixed martial arts or cage fighting) and BJJ (brazilian jiu jitsu)

one involves striking, one does not.

I've trained BJJ with the accused and as far as i know he had never worked on any boxing, muay thai or striking - options which were available to him.

BJJ is basically fancy wrestling in a karate outfit... breaking jaws is hardly something he was trained to do.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

darkaengel wrote:for the record there is a big difference between and MMA (mixed martial arts or cage fighting) and BJJ (brazilian jiu jitsu)

one involves striking, one does not.

I've trained BJJ with the accused and as far as i know he had never worked on any boxing, muay thai or striking - options which were available to him.

BJJ is basically fancy wrestling in a karate outfit... breaking jaws is hardly something he was trained to do.

SO? WHAT? the guys a NUT BAR and needs to be in Jail.Any rational clear thinking person knows that? so what exactly was your point ???

Return to “North Okanagan”