Negative posters.

Comments about the discussion board. Site-related comments should be addressed to the applicable department through the Contact Us form.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Negative posters.

Post by Woodenhead »

Lots of debate here. Very little intelligent debate, though. And the childish drama and name-calling (talking about @ groups, not just @ individual posters) has made me go from a regular poster to a rare-poster. I only skim thru for details on news once in a while nowadays. By & large, most posts here are mind-numbingly predictable and heavily steeped in preconceived, unchanging bias. Hardly anything to learn from.

PS: The ignore feature here doesn't work very well, as it doesn't hide quotes. It's not a hard thing to code in. I did it, and I don't even code! :

(PS I only temp-ignored Jo to illustrate ;) )
Last edited by Woodenhead on Mar 14th, 2015, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

^^^I'm pretty much in the same boat but I was told that "The 'silly drama' is what fuels forum life" so what are you gonna do, eh? Evidently, that's what they want. It must be a quantity VS quality thing.

I guess that's why I tend ignore it for months at a time when my tolerance for BS gets near it's limit.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^In part I agree with you, but I would like to hear a response to Jo's comment about the R&P dying because "drama" wasn't allowed. Meanwhile, the "bickering room" flourishes... though I'm not sure that I'd consider extremely high post count as a good thing or a sign of something flourishing. I'm more inclined to associate it with cancer than something healthy.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Glacier wrote:^In part I agree with you, but I would like to hear a response to Jo's comment about the R&P dying because "drama" wasn't allowed. Meanwhile, the "bickering room" flourishes... though I'm not sure that I'd consider extremely high post count as a good thing or a sign of something flourishing. I'm more inclined to associate it with cancer than something healthy.

I didn't like the way the R&P was introduced and implemented. I never even joined. I would enjoy respectful discussion on the main board with adults, not full-out shouting matches. I don't want to have to segregate myself with a few others on some other board.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

The beauty of forums is it attracts all types of people. When joining a forum, the person must understand that and accept it. People get along, others like to argue for the sake of arguing. It is up to you as a member how you want to react.
Overall I have met some very interesting, and helpful people here. I come for the entertainment, happy/sad stories, learn different opinions of a news topic, and I have received some great advice from people here.
Yes, there is some that one would question how they make it through the day, some NEED to get that last comment/dig, others trolling, but you are in control of how you react, stoop to their level, or just ignore them. For the most part we are adults, although some don't act like it. *wink*
Overall, it is what you make of it and take away from it. I love it here, this is definitely a great forum made up of great people.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Tacklewasher wrote:There is an ignore function, if you don't like certain posters.

OREZ wrote:I've considered using that but I came to this conclusion. If I have to do that, I'm basically burying my head in the sand, pretending the forum is more civil than it is. If I need to take that measure I think it doesn't really make sense to participate at all.

Not necessarily. I use it with a number of posters with whom time has proven to be inflammatory or inane, possibly on purpose. I see no point in subjecting myself to their constant drivel. Most of the time I can read through a thread without feeling any loss of context for their posts - in other words, they don't really contribute. If, perchance, they actually post something on topic then there is a chance someone I don't ignore will quote them, or I could click on their post to read it. About half the time I do, I regret doing so, but c'est la vie.

There are a number of coherent posters who offer opposing viewpoints, I feel no need to waste my time on the questionable.
I haven't failed until I quit.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Not necessarily. I use it with a number of posters with whom time has proven to be inflammatory or inane, possibly on purpose. I see no point in subjecting myself to their constant drivel. Most of the time I can read through a thread without feeling any loss of context for their posts - in other words, they don't really contribute. If, perchance, they actually post something on topic then there is a chance someone I don't ignore will quote them, or I could click on their post to read it. About half the time I do, I regret doing so, but c'est la vie.

There are a number of coherent posters who offer opposing viewpoints, I feel no need to waste my time on the questionable.

AM I one?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ValB58 wrote:
AM I one?

No, you are not one of the ones I have blocked. That will be that last such question I answer, as there is no point in listing the people I have blocked. They don't need to know, and neither does anyone else. I feel it would be rude to wave it in their faces that I find them lacking in coherence or content.
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I never block, just ignore.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Nibs started it!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I proposed a solution earlier.

Ban members who constantly take up the moderators time with removing their off topic and personal attack posts. Do it based on stats alone, not emotions. Certain amount of posts removed - you get a lengthy time-out. Come back and do it again - you're banned. There actually are only very few who would be banned and they wouldn't be missed. There's even a remote chance that it would be an opportunity for personal growth and they might mature a little and learn how to participate in a discussion and not a playground shouting match.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Nothing broken, system is in good working order.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I propose that we ban OREZ for the above proposal.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Go for it, Jo.

Return to “Feedback and Requests”