Your life is not worth...

I am Canadian
Banned

Your life is not worth...

Post by I am Canadian »

... a bottle of alcohol.

Three men had entered the store in an attempt to steal alcohol.

Aided by an unknown patron, a staff member apprehended two of the men, while the third was able to flee with two bottles of liquor.

During the altercation with the suspects, a 19-year-old man punched the store employee several times in an attempt to get away. The employee was treated by first aid attendants on scene.

Really? They don't teach their employees to let go and call the cops if there's a robbery? Same if they ask for money, let them take the drawer if they want to. Your life is worth more than a few dollars.

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... in-robbery
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Your life is not worth...

Post by Anonymous123 »

Here's another guy that could have seriously been injured.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/136168/Driver-runs-from-crash

"The suspect vehicle struck a minivan and pushed the van into an SUV,” says Duncan. “The truck driver exited his vehicle and ran off. The witness, who followed the vehicle from the start, gave chase and apprehended the man a short distance later and held him for police.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

I'm honestly surprised that the store never gave their employees any training on shopping lifting/robbery. I used to work at a large grocery store in town, and they had strict rules about shopping lifting (that we weren't allowed to chase, or try to stop it). Especially since I would imagine shop lifting at a liquor store to be quite high (could be wrong on that one), you think the store would create policies on this that would be included in training.
hail Satan y'all
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

...you know, I understand stores having the policies they do for this - however, at the same time, what a sad commentary on society that an employee that thwarts a low-life scumbag thief from ripping off the store/company, gets vilified for standing up against crime...I recall a few years ago a local Canadian Tire employee that did the same, and lost their job because it was store policy not to intervene...thieves know, and rely on this - which is why it's so rampant...sad...
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

In most cases when people try to "defend" cash or goods, it's not because they're valuing their life lower than the value of goods or cash, it's more of a question of pride or simply defensive reflexes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Should we?

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says rural Canadians need firearms for their own security so they can shoot people who pose a danger.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/03/16 ... rper-says/
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Swoop wrote:...you know, I understand stores having the policies they do for this - however, at the same time, what a sad commentary on society that an employee that thwarts a low-life scumbag thief from ripping off the store/company, gets vilified for standing up against crime...I recall a few years ago a local Canadian Tire employee that did the same, and lost their job because it was store policy not to intervene...thieves know, and rely on this - which is why it's so rampant...sad...

and that's the truth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

He is correct.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

This elderly man now faces a minimum sentence of 3 years in jail for defending his business against thieves earlier this year.

Report from the Toronto Sun http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/24/de ... lf-defence

Tuesday evening, two robbers entered Leo Boulet’s tiny depanneur (convenience store) in the remote Quebec community. The store is tiny, only a couple of hundred square feet, with a residence in the back, but it has been the scene of frequent robberies.

Boulet, who is 75, took out a gun from behind the counter and shot at his assailants, seriously wounding one.

Once again, when police arrived, they arrested Boulet, and charged him with more serious crimes than his attackers, including discharging a firearm with intent, reckless use of a firearm and aggravated assault.

Boulet is still in a provincial jail about three hours from his home because the Crown opposed his bail application.

Discharging a firearm with intent? Yeah. His intent was not to get killed or beaten badly by the two criminals holding him up.

Reckless use of a firearm? How was his use reckless? He hit the robber he was aiming at.

And aggravated assault? If the robber didn’t want to wind up in hospital with a bullet wound he shouldn’t have entered the Chez Lou depanneur with the intent to commit a robbery.
Last edited by I am Canadian on Mar 26th, 2015, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

quote="I am Canadian"]... a bottle of alcohol.

Three men had entered the store in an attempt to steal alcohol.

Aided by an unknown patron, a staff member apprehended two of the men, while the third was able to flee with two bottles of liquor.

During the altercation with the suspects, a 19-year-old man punched the store employee several times in an attempt to get away. The employee was treated by first aid attendants on scene.

Really? They don't teach their employees to let go and call the cops if there's a robbery? Same if they ask for money, let them take the drawer if they want to. Your life is worth more than a few dollars.

http://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelow ... in-robbery[/quote]

these goofs should get nothing less than 10 years in jail
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

People aren't really thinking straight when they are threatened.
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Mar 27th, 2015, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Swoop wrote:...you know, I understand stores having the policies they do for this - however, at the same time, what a sad commentary on society that an employee that thwarts a low-life scumbag thief from ripping off the store/company, gets vilified for standing up against crime...I recall a few years ago a local Canadian Tire employee that did the same, and lost their job because it was store policy not to intervene...thieves know, and rely on this - which is why it's so rampant...sad...

the truth wrote:and that's the truth

I recall a few years ago a young man from the Vancouver area tried to stop a gas and dash. His name was Grant DePatie. That's sad too.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
northernlighter

Post by northernlighter »

Hence why all gas stations in B.C. require payment prior to fueling: Grant's Law. Sure hope nothing serious happens in one of these heist results in a new law......
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Why should a minimum wage employee take that risk.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

GordonH wrote:Why should a minimum wage employee take that risk.

...maybe now's a good time to clarify the context...I'm not saying anyone, especially some Minimum wage employee should take any risk, or feel obligated to do so...what I am saying, is why, if that employee decides to take it upon himself to intervene and stop a criminal act, is that employee vilified for ultimately standing up for what's right?...it's his decision, which is exactly why employers have made policies clearly outlining that they do not want employees to take those risks - is because if they don't, they'll be held liable for the employee should anything untoward happen - doing their due diligence to remove them from being held accountable, which again, I understand...change the situation slightly to maybe someone interrupting a purse snatching of an elderly woman - hailed as a hero, yet because it's a gas station or liquor store, the employee's in the wrong...

Return to “Central Okanagan”