Cop gets charged

Jx3
Übergod

Re: Cop gets charged

Post by Jx3 »

Admittedly (and unapologetically) I am one of the police "cheerleaders" on here as some of the more rabid Castanet "cop-haters" like to say but in this particular case I don't think there is any way to justify what happened no matter what spin you put on it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

This cop has a history of violence. There is no defending what he did. A traffic stop.

I thought the rule was that if there was no immediate danger to anyone, the use of a firearm is not condoned?

The guy is running and not very fast, he was a big guy and the cop never thought about anything other than to shoot.

Is this cop that lazy that he believes the best choice between running after the guy and shooting him is shooting him?

He planted the tazer by the body and for that, he is toast.

I am just waiting for someone to post her "now wait a minute. The video doesn't show the whole story". Just you wait. It's coming.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Looks like a typical traffic stop in Texas. 8P
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Walter Scott Shooting. Police Problem Is More Than a Few Bad Apples
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

If the police/gun culture in the US isn't bizarre enough ...

The reserve Tulsa County Sheriff’s deputy who fatally shot and killed a man last week when he thought he had pulled his Taser, is part of a group of wealthy donors who make large contributions to the department for the privilege of playing police officer.

According to Tulsa World, Robert Bates, 73, who made the fatal mistake that cost a man his life, is a local insurance company executive who has donated multiple vehicles, weapons, and stun guns to the Sheriff’s Office since becoming a reserve deputy in 2008.

Bates is responsible for the death of Eric Harris, when he attempted to assist in the arrest of Harris as he struggled on the ground with Tulsa sheriff’s deputies. Bates shot Harris with his service weapon believing he had pulled his Taser.

In video released Friday, Bates can be heard apologizing, saying “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” as police handcuffed Harris before he was taken to a local hospital where he died from his gunshot wound.

According to Maj. Shannon Clark, Bates is a highly regarded member of the Reserve Deputy Program who was assisting the Sheriff’s Office’s Violent Crimes Task Force when Harris was shot.

Clark stated that Bates is one of many wealthy donors among the agency’s 130 reserve deputies, saying, “There are lots of wealthy people in the reserve program. Many of them make donations of items. That’s not unusual at all.”

On Monday, the Sheriff’s Office deferred questions to the county commissioners’ office when asked for a list of items Bates had donated, including his own service weapon and Taser.

Bates, who served as a Tulsa police officer for one year in 1964, is not compensated for his time assisting the sheriff’s deputies, and is classified as an “advanced reserve,” meaning he “can do anything a full-time deputy can do,” explained Clark.

“Although he had training and experience for the arrest team, he’s not assigned to the arrest team,” Clark said of Bates’ role assisting the task force. “He came to render aid during the altercation, but he’s in a support role during the operation. That means keeping notes, doing counter-surveillance, things like that.”

Following 320 hours of training with CLEET (the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) as well as have completed 480 hours of the TCSO Field Training Officer Program, an “advanced” reserve can “perform normal field duties by themselves and without the direct supervision of a certified deputy” according to the training program

The Tulsa Police Depart also utilizes reserves, however the approximately 55 reserve officers are typically limited to working traffic control or parking lot patrols during “Safe Shopper” operations during the holiday shopping seasons.

The Tulsa County District Attorney’s Office has yet to decide whether they will press charges against Bates.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/04/depu ... -play-cop/
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I wonder if these cops get charged:

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

^^
If the police's intent was to incite the group of men upon arrival then it was a success. I don't know if anyone watches Alaskan state troopers but these guys, on their own manage to bring in some scarey individuals. They manage to do it because they talk to the person and reason with them convincing them that It will only be worse for them in the long run if they choose to run or resist arrest. That's how you should enter a possibly dangerous situation. The polce across the US should be trained to defuse a situation, not escalate it. Some believe its due to the militarization of the police. Training now resembles military training which provides inappropriate skills that are proving themselves to be counterproductive to keepng the peace. Just my opinion.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

grand jury indicted this fool

SOUTH CAROLINA — Both sides in the case of Walter Scott described what happened Monday as a single step in a long march.

Michael Thomas Slager

A grand jury indicted former North Charleston, South Carolina, police officer Michael Slager on a murder charge in connection to the April shooting death.

Scott was shot by Slager in the back as he was running away. His death was recorded by a bystander, and the graphic footage sparked outrage and reignited a national conversation around race and policing.

http://fox6now.com/2015/06/08/grand-jur ... ter-scott/
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Interesting what makes the media and what doesn't - particularly when it doesn't fit the narrative.

http://www.cbc.ca/shortdocs/shorts/frame-394

Watch the video. It's 30 minutes.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “World”