Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Post by GordonH »

Hwy 97 has far to many traffic lights as it is now adding another one would be stupid, spend the extra money & put in an underpass at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2111048/updat ... ly-panned/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Changes at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd north-end of Vernon

Post by Gixxer »

I like the idea of a t-intersection.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

GordonH wrote:Hwy 97 has far to many traffic lights as it is now adding another one would be stupid, spend the extra money & put in an underpass at Hwy 97 & Stickle Rd.

So how would that work? There are homes and an RV park on the Swan Lake side of Hwy 97 where on-and-off ramps would have to be built if an underpass were to go in. As frustrating as they can be, sometimes traffic lights are the safest and most cost-effective way to go.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Read the report, it explains a traffic light would make it more dangerous with potential rear end accidents and drivers running a red light.

Vehicles from the camp ground wanting to go northbound would have to go southbound to get turned around. The volume of traffic leaving the camp ground to travel northbound is minimal.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

You are dealing with the Ministry of transportation. Is not that the same people that put that HOV lane into Kelowna? Dont forget they always know better. (sarcasm)
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

I would dearly love to know just which planet some of these people live on. Having worked at a company out there I can say from personal experience that my trip to work on H97 was always safer than my trip home on PV rd. It is time the Ministry people pulled their heads out of the shady portion of their anatomy and put their brains in gear. The north end of Vernon has grown substantially in the last 15 yrs and the Ministry is still planning one year at a time. \With plans to expand sewer out there and other upgrades as well it would be most appropriate to build and put lights in to a safe intersection at the same time. SMH
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

BCGrrrrl wrote:I would dearly love to know just which planet some of these people live on. Having worked at a company out there I can say from personal experience that my trip to work on H97 was always safer than my trip home on PV rd. It is time the Ministry people pulled their heads out of the shady portion of their anatomy and put their brains in gear. The north end of Vernon has grown substantially in the last 15 yrs and the Ministry is still planning one year at a time. \With plans to expand sewer out there and other upgrades as well it would be most appropriate to build and put lights in to a safe intersection at the same time. SMH

Actually if MOTI would do the right thing and look years down the road they would be installing more under or over passes, instead of traffic lights (wherever possible). That way it would not effect traffic flow.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

GordonH you are very right. Instead of looking down the years I was trying to save tax dollars and get a quick fix. Okay, I actually live on Pluto, no traffic there, :)
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I was listening to some lady on the radio speaking about this yesterday. I'm not sure who she was or her role (I caught it part way through).

She wanted lights at that intersection. Her well thought out reasoning.

"People say lights will slow down the highway traffic. But lights slow down traffic all over the place, so what's the difference".

It's inefficient and unsafe dummy. If it's already not working well for traffic flow, what the heck makes you think this is a good idea.

As someone who works in that area often, I would much prefer the T-intersection as well.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Always Sunny wrote:I was listening to some lady on the radio speaking about this yesterday. I'm not sure who she was or her role (I caught it part way through).

She wanted lights at that intersection. Her well thought out reasoning.

"People say lights will slow down the highway traffic. But lights slow down traffic all over the place, so what's the difference".

It's inefficient and unsafe dummy. If it's already not working well for traffic flow, what the heck makes you think this is a good idea.

As someone who works in that area often, I would much prefer the T-intersection as well.

So with a T-intersection the residents & visitors of RV Park would be sh*t out of luck then. Forcing them to make dangerous U-turn past the scales if heading north on Hwy 97. Just to return to there RV/home.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:So with a T-intersection the residents & visitors of RV Park would sh*t out of luck then. Forcing them to make dangerous U-turn past the scales if heading north on Hwy 97. Just to return to there RV/home.

So apparently I misunderstood this entire part of the proposal?
Current Proposal

• Construct a Protected T intersection to allow left turns from Stickle Road on to Highway 97 towards Vernon
Provide a separate left turn with turn around access for the Silver Star RV Park area

When the proposal also states that for every ONE left turn northbound onto Highway 97 during peak hours, there are 12-19 turning southbound. I would say that option is for the greater good of the majority of drivers and provides the most efficient flow of through traffic.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

GordonH wrote:
So with a T-intersection the residents & visitors of RV Park would be sh*t out of luck then. Forcing them to make dangerous U-turn past the scales if heading north on Hwy 97. Just to return to there RV/home.

http://www.vernon.ca/transportation/doc ... Vernon.pdf

There will be a left turn u-turn lane just past the intersection for people wanting to turn into the camp ground. Seems like it will be dangerous with commercial vehicles exiting from the weigh scale.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

For starters if nothing else gets done, at the very least lower the speed limit and have it enforced.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'd prefer the T intersection as well myself. Otherwise, use PV Road. Once you put a light up there, then they'll want one at Meadowlark and again by Swan Lake Nursery - next thing you know, the north end of Vernon will end up as a parking lot as is the cluster fudge that is West Kelowna.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'd prefer the T intersection as well myself. Otherwise, use PV Road. Once you put a light up there, then they'll want one at Meadowlark and again by Swan Lake Nursery - next thing you know, the north end of Vernon will end up as a parking lot as is the cluster fudge that is West Kelowna.

Based on the options T intersection is the best, agree about traffic lights very bad idea.

Added later: MOTI has to really start using under or over passes as much as possible to keep traffic flowing, stop with the easy/cheap fix of traffic lights

Return to “North Okanagan”