What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

toonz99

What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

Post by toonz99 »

Is it just me or does anyone else dislike what global has done to the night time news. All new personel ... new graphics ... crappy host and weather person. I want my small town personal touch news broadcast and personalities back. This new big city slick broadcast really sucks. I am willing to bet it is not even actually being produced locally but in fact out of town like either Victoria or Vancouver.

Anyone else not like what's happened?
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

Post by voice of reason »

it was pretty cool to have our own channel for so long with all the small town local news and personalities.it seems like the last few years it has got farther and farther away from being something local and now its just a part of global bc.after mike roberts retired it went down hill fast.im not even a mike roberts fan but he was the face of chbc for a lot of years.its too bad it has become just another channel because it is a part of the community we have lost and will never get back.there will never be a local channel equal to chbc in the okanagan again.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I agree........start "*bleep*'n" to Shaw about this. I think Jim Shaw still has a shack on Hobson Rd. unless his $495,000.00 per month pension could not keep up with the cost of living in Kelowna.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I am not impressed with this change by Global either.

I do not remember hearing any announcement by Global of changes coming.
What happened to Wesla and Duane? They just moved here and were getting settled in to the valley life.
Kimberly and the rest of the crew, what has happened to them?
Not one word from Global as to what is going on.

The clowns they have on do not fit with the OK Valley from what I have seen so far.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

I think Duane and Wesla are on holidays, can't wait for them to get back, i can NOT stand that Sonia....
For sure miss the good old days of it being pretty much all local, Pat with the local sports, Mike with the weather.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

meh, i dont watch chbc news anyway so doesnt affect me at all...but for those of you *bleep* at global/shaw

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsc ... efaut.aspx and file a complaint
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

My husband and I laugh at how often Duane and Wesla are off, which seems to be more than they're on. I get that they're a couple, but what's the point of having two weather people if they're always away at the same time? I do miss the days of having our own truly local newscast, even though it was a bit cheesy at times. The thing that bugs me most is that the quality of the actual show has suffered, it's pretty clear all the timing and switching is controlled from a different location (presumably GlobalBC at the coast) and it shows. Half the time they have the wrong chyron, or video, or they cut away late leaving the anchor sitting there looking stupid. At least the remote, fill-in weather people seem to have finally learned that they're the Arrow Lakes, not Arrow's Lake (reading is hard, ya know). I would bet the majority of bodies who work on the newscast as it is now have never been east of Hope.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

I thought something was different last night. Having just moved here from YVR 9 months ago, I found myself missing the Global Vancouver personalities, Anne, Squire, Chris, Randene, Arron etc, but the local personalities began to grow on me, and I got used to them, and it's definitely not the same without them. You want the people informing you about your community to actually be part of the community. Sure I can read all the news online, but there there is something about sitting down with a refreshment and having the happenings of the day brought to you from someone you are familiar with.

I hope its not a permanent change, this being such a small town and all, someone must know something.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

One of the things I noticed last night was the temporary anchor says that "Crystal Goomansingh is off tonight".

Reading through her Bio online http://globalnews.ca/author/crystal-goomansingh/ seems to suggest that she is in Toronto.
So, does this mean that our local Okanagan news is coming from Toronto??

Does Castanet have anyone looking into what is going on?
Are these jobs gone from the valley and any reporters are now home based??

I think there is a lot more to this than a holiday break for a few people.....

Looking at the Global Okanagan info page http://globalnews.ca/pages/about-global-okanagan/ - There are no links to any people.
Last edited by NotNorthAnymore on Aug 26th, 2015, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

at least it is not the E entertainment channel anymore
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

The move to Toronto newsreading was announced a long time ago and so I guess it's happening now. Did you remember that they tried moving Rick Webber to Victoria a few years ago, but having him read our local news? Whoever the owners are of the local TV station, they have been trying to wipe out the local news room for years. Maybe they finally succeeded this time.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Finally found the "personalities" page
http://globalnews.ca/okanagan/staff/personalities/
But still nothing on why the change.

Reading local news from Toronto???
Really?

Not even sure how to respond to that.
And no - I have never heard anything about trying to shutdown the station here.
They just opened a Global Okanagan office in Vernon in the last year.
It is across the street from Polson Park.
KelownaGuy19

Post by KelownaGuy19 »

It was announced a few months back that late night and weekend newscasts would be produced out of Toronto.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1930342/globa ... -produced/
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:And no - I have never heard anything about trying to shutdown the station here.

In 2009.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/48384/CHBC-television-saved
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

With everything that has happened at CHBC over the years, I have to admit I preferred them when it was a CBC affiliate even with it's problems/issues back then.
Now I find myself rarely ever watch CHBC news.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”