Challenge Funding Denied

twobits
Guru

Re: Challenge Funding Denied

Post by twobits »

onestop67 wrote:I saw this funding request from the new owners of Challenge a month ago.

My first thought was "didn't they say they would make Challenge a private venture" and it wouldn't affect the taxpayers?

Yet here we go, second year in, and they are asking for money.

Are we actually surprised they are asking for money? I am glad the RDOS said no. Joe citizen/taxpayer has already ponied up enough for these races vis a vis in kind services. In addition to that, I, as a resident, am more than happy to say home a cpl of days for race events. But I am getting somewhat tired of the perpetual need for tax dollars to make these races happen for businesses that are in the business of generating profit. It behooves me why these for profit race organizers would expect the residents of say Cherry Lane Towers to even accept a one dollar increase in their property taxes to make the race viable.
In essence, what these race organizers are expecting, is that every taxpayer be a philanthropist for the community good. I would humbly suggest that these for profit race organizers solicit the Chamber of Commerce Members, the Downtown Merchants Association, as well as ......that dysfunctional group of motel/hoteliers with the room tax budget.....for some funding. It is they after all that reap the majority of the benefits. Why don't these groups pony up the fifty k requested instead of being pigs with no lipstick so no one notices.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Anyone know the number of entrants? The deadline was extended to the 9th.Doesn'tlook good for the future of the event, I have heard a ridiculously low number.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

anyone else feel that surge and pre race energy leading up to Challenge 2015???

nope me either... sure miss Ironman
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I had to dodge a bunch of arrogant cyclists on Eastside Rd today but that's it.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

ToddT wrote:I had to dodge a bunch of arrogant cyclists on Eastside Rd today but that's it.

Was it a group of three riding abreast in the lane. Two guys and a gal. I had to deal with them too but fortunately I was in my pickup that has some HP to pass.
They were comedic actually. One guy pedaling normally, the gal was in way too high a gear and struggling to keep up , and the other guy was somewhere in the basement for gears cuz his legs and pedals looked like a hamster in a wheel on steroids.
And not one of them had spared any expense in trying to look like a Tour de France competitor with the outfit. Good chuckle.

Is road cycling the new cool thing to do now that racket ball and squash are passe?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

twobits wrote:And not one of them had spared any expense in trying to look like a Tour de France competitor with the outfit. Good chuckle.

Is road cycling the new cool thing to do now that racket ball and squash are passe?

Have you heard the term MAMIL? (middle aged man in lycra)
Apparently its the new mid life crisis corvette.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

slootman wrote:
Have you heard the term MAMIL? (middle aged man in lycra)
Apparently its the new mid life crisis corvette.

Can't say I have heard it but if lycra is spandex, I like it as it fits. Pun intended.

Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Maybe if they didn't lose the funding, they would have caught this mistake.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:Image

Maybe if they didn't lose the funding, they would have caught this mistake.

Might be missing something obvious but can someone please point out the mistake that should have been caught?

Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

Check out the spelling of Penticton.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

I was told, not having seen it for myself, that they made the "o" really big now to incorporate the "i" next to it as a 'fix' for their error.
*shakes head*
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Wow. Who proof read that? Egg on their face or what? Or is that streudel?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Giants Head wrote:Check out the spelling of Penticton.

I knw it hd to be smthg the mnd scns ovr and accpts as corrct.

But OMG. Where are these banners located and I hope they don't pay a dime for such incompetence.

Funny but true story along the same lines. Well know resort in the Caribbean the missus and I were at were doing a Guinness World record thingy for the most nuptials on a beach at one time. Virtually gave holidays away to these couples for participating. Much fanfare, choreographing, and about 50 different camera's from different news services big and small. In six foot tall lettering, painted on some massive local plant leaves ten feet above the ground, behind all off the Brides and Grooms, was Welcome to "insert resort name here" Jamaca". And no one, not one of hundreds of us watching this spectical, really noticed until this 10 yr old British child with full on accent, mid vows when all was quiet queried way too loudly, "Daddy, should Jamaca not have an "i" in it?"
I cannot possibly convey the rest of the story without pizzing my pants in laughter again.
Last edited by twobits on Aug 28th, 2015, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Giants Head wrote:Check out the spelling of Penticton.

twobits wrote: I knw it hd to be smthg the mnd scns ovr and accpts as corrct.

But OMG. Where are these banners located and I hope they don't pay a dime for such incompetence.

Those signs look like they are located close to the Lakeside Hotel. Is that not the Hooded Merganser in the background?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

That's the walkway behind the Lakeside. The mini flags in the hotel all say "Pentiction" (again this is just information garnered from social media)

Return to “South Okanagan”