What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

Wesla

Re: What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

Post by Wesla »

Catri wrote:Wesla, I hope you do check back here occasionally, it's great to have someone so close to a topic come in and comment. I did not realise you and Duane job-share, that explains much and is a pretty cool arrangement to boot! I hope you didn't take my comments here to say that I don't respect and enjoy your work, because I do.

Hi Catri - thanks - not at all. Just wanted to explain to everyone about our crazy work arrangement or else it would all be just an assumption :)

... And to everyone else - THANK YOU for replying with such positivity. Whatever happens in the future with television media is up in the air, and as I said in my last post, the only reason why Duane and I have a job is because we still have viewers like you who care. Who knows how long our jobs will last... some of our friends lost their job over at CTV Vancouver earlier this week because of cuts, and that's just the reality of the television business today. The way information is broadcast has changed over the recent years, and I too am very sad to see how much local content has been taken away from its roots.

Have a great weekend everyone... and a heads up, after today, we are taking some time off to spend a (very) early Christmas with family and friends over the next couple of weeks. See you in December and take care.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Enjoy the time with family and friends and please don't let it be Sonia filling in...........
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bubalouie wrote:Enjoy the time with family and friends and please don't let it be Sonia filling in...........

Global will have those weather people from Toronto do it instead Sonia.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

We can all thank Shaw for the way the news is being run. There so cheap they wont even finish there new building. Finally after many complaints, and sitting for many years looking like an old abandoned parking garage, they added cladding and windows, but it's still very much an eyesore.
Seems they just dont want to spend any more money in this town, even on local talent. so they broadcast from elsewhere.
wish they never would have bought out CHBC
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:We can all thank Shaw for the way the news is being run. There so cheap they wont even finish there new building. Finally after many complaints, and sitting for many years looking like an old abandoned parking garage, they added cladding and windows, but it's still very much an eyesore.
Seems they just dont want to spend any more money in this town, even on local talent. so they broadcast from elsewhere.
wish they never would have bought out CHBC

Jim Pattison Broadcast Group bought up Kamloops station CFJC, of course Rogers is main feed for CFJC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

None the less, it was much better when it was locally owned and operated, or even just locally operated for that matter. But Shaw owns it now, and they're the ones calling the shots.
People always say change is good. however, I dont believe thats the case in this particular situation
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

vinnied wrote:None the less, it was much better when it was locally owned and operated, or even just locally operated for that matter. But Shaw owns it now, and they're the ones calling the shots.
People always say change is good. however, I dont believe thats the case in this particular situation

Where I grew up there was only 2 TV channels (later a third Knowledge network, it was mostly distance Education). CHBC a CBC affiliate station and original BCTV which was CTV affiliate station.
Reception sucked on both, as a kid I only cared about 4 programs.

Wonderful world of Disney
Bugs Bunny & Roadrunner Show
Other cartoons
Hockey Night in Canada
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

GordonH wrote:
Where I grew up there was only 2 TV channels (later a third Knowledge network, it was mostly distance Education). CHBC a CBC affiliate station and original BCTV which was CTV affiliate station.
Reception sucked on both, as a kid I only cared about 4 programs.

Wonderful world of Disney
Bugs Bunny & Roadrunner Show
Other cartoons
Hockey Night in Canada

Funny. Now they're both owned by Shaw media. Don't see the same changes on global BC, as we do on the Global Okanagan though.

I remember having those same channels, I think Knowledge network was on the UHF dial though.
Later on, a satellite dish was installed on the local mountain and we could descramble What was then Superchannel I believe, with the old 2 wire antenna wire and some tin foil. lol
Couple other shows we would have added to that list was MASH, and The Dukes of Hazards
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Back in '97, Okanagan Life magazine celebrated CHBC's storied history with an issue dedicated to the station's 40th anniversary.

Hopefully, the One Drive link below will take you to a PDF of the piece, rather than to my collection of shirtless selfies.

http://1drv.ms/1MszsPG
Lizard
Fledgling

Post by Lizard »

GordonH wrote:Jim Pattison Broadcast Group bought up Kamloops station CFJC, of course Rogers is main feed for CFJC.

Jim Pattison Broadcast Group bought CFJC in 1987.
Robster

Post by Robster »

So, what happened to Claudia......Anyone ?
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Robster wrote:So, what happened to Claudia......Anyone ?

She had a baby.
Robster

Post by Robster »

How'd that happen.....Ok, don't answer that :)

Yay, congrats Claudia and hubby .
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

"Robster »
How'd that happen.....Ok, don't answer that :)

Yay, congrats Claudia and hubby ."
That is funny, Robster. Glad it didn't have to be explained. LOL :)
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
SassySasquatch
Board Meister

Post by SassySasquatch »

With Toronto-based Corus Entertainment buying Shaw Media now would be a good tyme to add your voice..

How important is local and community programming to you?

http://consultation.crtc.gc.ca/en/consu ... -tv-review
"...always keep your mind and heart open." - Henry Fonda

Return to “Central Okanagan”