Ideal Protein Diet

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Ideal Protien Diet

Post by WeatherWoman »

Any calorie intake under 1200 isn't good for your body...You body will eat muscles to just to function. Your body also goes into starvation mode and as soon as you start eating a regular diet you body stores fat for the next drought.

I hit a plateau in fat loss and as soon as I started eating more the weight started to come off again.

Skinny wasn't my goal...strong and healthy is. Sitting on the couch and losing weight isn't doing any benefit for your heart nor are you gaining muscle. You have to workout if you want to build muscles and then appropriately fuel your body so it doesn't.
Last edited by WeatherWoman on Dec 15th, 2015, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 15th, 2015, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Gixxer wrote:You dont want carbs in the afternoon. If anything you want carbs in the morning to give you energy through out the day, but you'll get the mid day crash because of low glucose levels (SUGAR)

Ive basically cut out all carbs, sugar, and have gone High Fat/High Protein. The fat is for an energy source, and protein is for muscle building. Its amazing how much energy and mental clarity I have all day. I've also lost 20-30 lbs without running a mile of cardio.

Again it all depends on what you want to achieve. Google or youtube HFLC diet(high fat low carb) or the Ketogenic diet. There's a ton of great information on there with lots of people showing their transformations over 3,6,12 months

Ive been eating like this for 3 years and its what works for me. When I eat carbs its green and leafy, I dont eat fruit anymore because its loaded with fructose.

Those protein drinks energy bars are all loaded with sugar. Read the nutritional labels on the products you consume and you'll be amazed at how much of it has sugar in it.

agree 100% with your post--cut out carbs and you win the battle, fats gets a bad rep,healthy fats are very important for the body and brain
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Ideal Protein Diet

Post by Captain Awesome »

Well, you still need carbs. Just cut out the bad ones.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct but not as much as people think,healthy fats will give you the energy your looking for
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Carbs are required but not in the quantities most people eat. We pretty much eat protein and buckets of vegetables for dinner most nights and skip the carbs. Morning is when I load up on good carbs like a rough cut oatmeal flavored with real maple syrup and some butter, a little fat is always good. But by all means skip the bagel, muffin or standard box cereals because refined carbs are empty calories which are to be avoided if you're trying to maintain or loose weight. Basically, you need carbs but avoid the bad ones like sugars, pasta and minute rice and you should loose weight without lifting a finger. Cutting carbs out completely is a drastic move and not really that healthy a diet.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct on all counts
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

i think since everyone is different, what works for one isn't what works for others. as a person in recovery from an eating disorder, i have maintained my weight (healthy) for several years eating 'crap' as well as 'good' food. i could be healthier with the choices i make, but i also don't want to deprive myself, restrict, etc. and set myself up for harming my body or live by certain food rules (diets) that can't be sustained and rule my life.

it might be best to consult with an actual registered dietitian, not nutritionist or people on the internet, as they know more in depth about the body, how it uses up food, what is needed for each individual person, etc. and what is actually healthy or not.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

mysideofthings wrote:

it might be best to consult with an actual registered dietitian, not nutritionist or people on the internet, as they know more in depth about the body, how it uses up food, what is needed for each individual person, etc. and what is actually healthy or not.

True, not only is everyone different, there are alot of misconceptions out there. A good example of something that people think is healthy is juicing, or even a glass of OJ in the morning. For the most part you're drinking highly concentrated sugar water and would be better off with a glass of water, or even a lightly sweetened coffee for that matter.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

I haven't read this whole thread but...

A friend of mine was sold the Ideal Protein diet by a Pharmasave in Kelowna. I know that most drugstores have taken a hit since they quit selling tobacco but really?!? He needed to lose 30 lbs since he was borderline diabetic and was trying to avoid taking insulin. The pharmacist in question knew his history and his meds. Recommended this ridiculously expensive diet. They tell you that you may feel bad and nauseous the first week since your body is "adjusting" and whatnot. My friend ignored the symptoms that he was in distress. His wife became concerned about day 5 and contacted the pharmacist. Everything is great! It means it's working as it should! says the pharmacist.
He was in ICU within 24 hours of that. Hospital said if the wife had waited another 15 minutes to call the ambulance, he would be dead. They saved him but it was pretty touch and go. His blood sugar levels had crashed and his blood pressure as well. His blood acid levels were low (not sure what that means).

I trust pharmacists to know more about drug interactions than my doctor. I know that fad diets don't work but sometimes people are swayed by "professional" opinions. I am horrified that any pharmacy would be involved in a product like this.

One of the first responders, upon hearing my friend's wife story about the diet, called his fellow fireman up to see what was happening. That fireman had also been sucked into buying the diet.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Sounds like the Keto diet or low carb. It takes about a week to adjust. What he probably experienced was reactive hypoglycemia. The body is use to producing so much insulin to convert sugar into energy. So when a person stops eating processed carbs loaded with sugar the body will keep producing insulin but there's no sugar for it. Its a really horrible feeling. Its best to keep a can of pop or orange juice nearby just in case until the body adjusts.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

There is a doctor who promotes a very low carb diet for pre-diabetics to slow down progression of condition, and for diabetics. It works. But people need to monitor their blood sugar if they are diabetic, and obviously for a diabetic they need to do it under doctor's supervision. People wing it, don't do the research, don't do the blood sugar tests, and then blame the diet for failures.
If I can stave off using insulin for a few (or many) years, of course a dietary (and exercise) approach would be preferred.
I lost thirty pounds and improved my blood sugar spikes big time. Before diet my blood sugar could go into diabetic range, when on the diet, blood sugar stayed in normal range. This makes the insulin that your body does produce, work much better. The doctor who wrote the book on this was a type I diabetic himself, and felt that insulin plus standard diabetic diet wasn't making sense. So he researched the diet and how to use it for prediabetics and diabetics. Diabetics found they could use far less insulin on the diet and still have good control of sugar. This also has financial repercussions since insulin is not cheap.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

V-Rated wrote:Has anyone had any experience with the Ideal Protien diet?
~V~

hey -V-,

a friend of mine is on it and has lost a fair bit of weight doing so. She hasn't been exercising, she wants "to get thin before going to the gym". I know it's pretty pricey, but comes with all the shakes and snacky things. I wouldn't do it myself, I'm trying to go keto.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Lady tehMa wrote:She hasn't been exercising, she wants "to get thin before going to the gym".

What's the point of going to the gym if you're thin already?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thin has nothing to do with being in shape and healthy.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Health”