What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

damama55
Übergod

Re: What happened to CHBC/GLOBAL news at 11?

Post by damama55 »

Thank you, SassySasquatch, for the link to the CRTC. :) I have gone on and posted my comments about the late night and weekend news broadcasters that are pretending to be Okanagians. We don't like them, and we don't like the fact that, most times, the can't properly pronounce the names of different areas that make up this region. Hopefully, the CRTC will take note of our comments and make the changes we all want, to have our own locals do our own local newscasts and weather forecasts. Otherwise, we will not watch the local station but watch either the national newscasts or simply watch news from Vancouver.
I have also copied and sent your comment, SassySasquatch, on to other friends in the valley so they can link up and post their comments. Thanks again.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I doubt very much that the CRTC has any say in where the news is broadcast from. Sending your concerns to the TV Network involved would have more weight.

The CRTC can't even do anything about the damn Robocalls! I would rather they do something about those.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

The valley is nothing but old people who cant stay up that late, so nobody was watching is what I heard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I rarely if ever watch Global Okanagan. Any TV shows I get them earlier via eastern Global channel.
What actual local news happens I get it online, as for weather AccuWeather work great.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Sky tracker was good until last summer , they took away future cast Doppler view and added advertising , so now it's useless .
Global morning news was my ritual , that's ruined now . Mark is gone , soph is gone, kristi is long gone , Steve is ok but soph kept him grounded . Kaitlyn , she's ok . Sonia was a hard pill to swallow , couldn't understand a thing she said . She seems to be speaking a little more clearly today . Yvonne is going to go far . Okanagan global has very little news to use up an hour with .
Strong and free
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Zoso wrote:Sky tracker was good until last summer , they took away future cast Doppler view and added advertising , so now it's useless .
Global morning news was my ritual , that's ruined now . Mark is gone , soph is gone, kristi is long gone , Steve is ok but soph kept him grounded . Kaitlyn , she's ok . Sonia was a hard pill to swallow , couldn't understand a thing she said . She seems to be speaking a little more clearly today . Yvonne is going to go far . Okanagan global has very little news to use up an hour with .

All those mentioned here are from Vancouver Global channel.

Added: I will not be surprised once Corus takes over all of Global, that Global Okanagan will be one of the stations slashed. Who knows just maybe the owner of Kamloops station will pick it up.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

One of the many things I find very annoying with the "away" casters is their habit of standing right in front of the screen blocking off what it is they're commenting on. Especially annoying when they're doing OUR local weather forecasts.

I want to see what the temperatures and precipitation forecasts are, NOT them parading back and forth showing off that expensive suit they're wearing today.

Please bring back the "professional" people who worked locally and not these twits who are only interested in how much "screen time" they're getting.

Grrr.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I see that the Toronto people are now long gone!! :130:

A good move for sure. :up:
Wesla and Duane doing the weather again (Even if it is taped earlier in the evening)
And Jeff Hastings at this point reading the news.
At least he knows how to properly pronounce the place names here.
He is reading from Van, but it is not types from TO trying to pretend that they know something about the valley.

This gives me reason to go back to watching CHBC.

Edit to spell Duane's name correctly!!
Last edited by NotNorthAnymore on Jun 8th, 2016, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

Yes, I agree. I would rather have a truly local anchor, but at least it's much better than having anchors from Toronto pretending to be in the Okanagan. Actually I was waiting for one of those easterners try to pronounce Malakwa. I used to get stumped on that one in my early years.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I hope Blaine can continue his journalist career with little disruption to his personal life.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
kelownaobserver

Post by kelownaobserver »

Have to agree with Bmann. Blaine’s demeanour especially when it came to the court reporting was second to none. As far as the other journalist covering the northern part of the valley will be sorely missed as well as the cameramen. Getting the news out especially in time of disaster should be an essential service to the public
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Just so everyone knows, Blaine has not been let go. There is an update to the news release.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/219086/Global-cuts-hit-Okanagan

Contrary to earlier reports, senior reporter Blaine Gaffney was not laid off.

Union rep Barb Van Stone said some miscommunication at the corporate level led to the mistake, and Gaffney will be staying on.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

Oh ya... The news I read yesterday.
KPG_4

Post by KPG_4 »

I would like to know what happened to the local sports segments from way back? Other than a brief 30 second highlight on the Rockets games they never discuss local sports regularly. I really enjoy learning about whats going on in the local sports scene (AAA hockey, etc.) but they seemed to have done away with that.

Return to “Central Okanagan”