Paramount Theatre Closing

Evan
Board Meister

Paramount Theatre Closing

Post by Evan »

I'm not seeing this posted anywhere... Apparently it's shutting down in May.

Very sad. A lot of less well known, smaller films play here.. I wonder where they will go? Or if Kelowna will be going without seeing these wonderful less mainstream films??

Sad.
The Paramount Theatre in Kelowna will show its final movie later this year.

The iconic downtown theatre has a new owner who is expected to repurpose the theatre.

Since an official application has not yet come before the city, planner Terry Barton said he is not able to formally comment.

"It has changed hands so there is a different proponent," said Barton.

"They are looking at doing, call it an adaptive re-use of the theatre, likely to another commercial, likely a restaurant. But, it's just in the inquiry stage at this point so I'm not at liberty to say."

Barton said he will be able to comment once a formal application is made, but doesn't know when that will be.

"It likely would need a form and character development permit which would need to go to council."

He expects to know more within a month or so.

Bill Walker, COO of Landmark Cinemas which runs the Paramount said he wasn't completely surprised at the announcement.

With the shift to newer, larger multiplex theatres, downtown cinemas are not doing as well as they have in the past.

He was pleased the Paramount was able to fill a void in the market by showing more eclectic, Indie type films. He said the company hopes to continue that tradition at the Grand 10 and Extreme 8 in West Kelowna.

Walker doesn't know exactly when the Paramount will close down but expects it to be sooner than the 90 days they were given by the owner.

A special sendoff will be planned.

The Paramount opened in June of 1949 with just one screen. It was later turned into a triplex.

It will be the second downtown movie theatre to shut down.

The Uptown Cinema, around the corner on Water Street shut down in 2000. That theatre, now the Living Faith Miracle Centre, opened with two screens in the mid 1970's.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#159842
Last edited by Evan on Mar 2nd, 2016, 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To be inspired.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Paramount Theatre Closing

Post by GordonH »

Last downtown movie theatre is shutting down, just one more reason to avoid the downtown core. This was the only reason I ever did go downtown core.

Added: curious to know whats going in that owner wants Landmark theatre out.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

They say they're putting a restaurant in there.
Yup. Another downtown restaurant.
Just what we need.
If it doesn't survive they can always put a thrift store in the location. Or a dozen Starbucks. It's big enough.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I guess it had to happen sometime. I don't watch movies in the theatre anymore, so I suppose I'm part of the problem, but I have many fond memories of the Paramount and the Red and Blue from my movie-going youth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:Last downtown movie theatre is shutting down, just one more reason to avoid the downtown core. This was the only reason I ever did go downtown core.

Added: curious to know whats going in that owner wants Landmark theatre out.

same here, only reason I will go downtown now is a rockets game, unless they clean up all the drug dealers and junkies
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bman wrote:They say they're putting a restaurant in there.
Yup. Another downtown restaurant.
Just what we need.
If it doesn't survive they can always put a thrift store in the location. Or a dozen Starbucks. It's big enough.

I would like a place with live music, pool tables, good food, drinks, games and dancing that the whole family can go to. There is more than enough of us in walking distance of the place to make it a popular spot.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I suspect something that will attract the new hotel crowd.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Movie theaters bring people downtown, who either have dinner before a movie or coffee / drinks afterwards. This is a loss for downtown and Kelowna.

I saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off there years ago on a re-release. Memories.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

The thing I love about the smaller theatres, is they tend to show the smaller films. I recall being able to catch Milk at The Paramount, when no one else in the okanagan would show it.. The theatre beside me (where I live now) is a smaller theatre, and it is the only one that has shown "Brooklyn", and will be showing "Where to Invade Next" soon.

I love that. I love being able to catch artsy, and less mainstream films at these smaller houses. It's a definite loss for Kelowna when it comes to more unique films. Hopefully the Grand 10 can pick up some of the slack.
To be inspired.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Replaced by Netflix. The newer theatres are better.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Evan wrote:The thing I love about the smaller theatres, is they tend to show the smaller films. I recall being able to catch Milk at The Paramount, when no one else in the okanagan would show it.. The theatre beside me (where I live now) is a smaller theatre, and it is the only one that has shown "Brooklyn", and will be showing "Where to Invade Next" soon.

I love that. I love being able to catch artsy, and less mainstream films at these smaller houses. It's a definite loss for Kelowna when it comes to more unique films. Hopefully the Grand 10 can pick up some of the slack.

I will miss that part too. That last film I watched there was Blackfish. I went to an adult cartoon shorts festival there once that was pretty cool too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:Replaced by Netflix. The newer theatres are better.

Unless you have built a theatre in your home with the sound system, if not Netflix is not the same.

Newer usual only brings in what those top hollywood blockbuster, Paramount would bring in smaller not as well known films along with the other I mentioned.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I sure hope they save the sign..preferrably keep it in place...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

I read somewhere that the Marquee would be staying, as it is an icon.
To be inspired.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”