Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
pmaria
Fledgling

Re: Tesla to sell $35,000 model by 2017

Post by pmaria »

I see a lot of Model S's around Kelowna. Does anyone know how these fair on the Coqu-connector? Can you make Vancouver on a single charge? If not, how long does it take if you need to stop somewhere along the way? I imagine doing ~120 - 140 on the highways chews through the battery, and probably only the 90D has a chance.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It is about 400km to Vancouver, and even further if you actually have to scoot around a little once you get there. You'd expect about 400km with the larger 85kwh battery which is an extra $10,000 upgrade. I hear the 85kwh might be phased out and a 90kwh is available. Anyways, You will get 30% less capacity in -10c weather, and over time the battery capacity degrades by 30%. You would not make it to Vancouver with the 60kwh battery. The range is also shortened if you go 75mph instead of 65mph, by about 17%... So if you go 65mph you might get as far as 215 miles, but at 75mph you'll go 183 miles due to increased air resistance and the energy required to overcome it. According to the chart, maximum range is at 40mph with optimal tire pressure.

So at highway speeds (75mph on the coke), I'd say you wouldn't make it to Vancouver on any battery. If you have A/C on or you speed, you will fall even shorter.

If you go under the speed limit, you will barely make it to Vancouver with the upgraded battery option 85kwh+. You'd be looking at spending a lot of money.

Every 6 to 8 years you'll have to replace your battery, and if the battery is the high capacity option then you'd be looking at $14000 or more. If you stop 1/2 way and do a 30 min to 60 min charge, you'd make it to Vancouver.

https://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/blog/ ... l-s-family
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Embiggen
Fledgling

Post by Embiggen »

Jlabute wrote:It is about 400km to Vancouver, and even further if you actually have to scoot around a little once you get there. You'd expect about 400km with the larger 85kwh battery which is an extra $10,000 upgrade. I hear the 85kwh might be phased out and a 90kwh is available. Anyways, You will get 30% less capacity in -10c weather, and over time the battery capacity degrades by 30%. You would not make it to Vancouver with the 60kwh battery. The range is also shortened if you go 75mph instead of 65mph, by about 17%... So if you go 65mph you might get as far as 215 miles, but at 75mph you'll go 183 miles due to increased air resistance and the energy required to overcome it. According to the chart, maximum range is at 40mph with optimal tire pressure.

So at highway speeds (75mph on the coke), I'd say you wouldn't make it to Vancouver on any battery. If you have A/C on or you speed, you will fall even shorter.

If you go under the speed limit, you will barely make it to Vancouver with the upgraded battery option 85kwh+. You'd be looking at spending a lot of money.

Every 6 to 8 years you'll have to replace your battery, and if the battery is the high capacity option then you'd be looking at $14000 or more. If you stop 1/2 way and do a 30 min to 60 min charge, you'd make it to Vancouver.

Regarding trips to Vancouver: you can stop at the supercharger in Hope and recharge at a rate of up to ~270km of range per half an hour of charging.
Corrections: long term data is limited, but you're wildly overshooting on your battery degradation predictions. Here's what we have so far: http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-batt ... tion-data/
"After say 80,000 km, the overall range degradation is seen to be approximately 6%, with a rate of appr 1%/50,000 km from that point onwards."
'30% over time' is technically correct for suitably large values of 'over time'.

Further, you don't need to replace your battery every 6 to 8 years unless something atypical happens to it. They have 8 year unlimited km warranties on the batteries after all.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Tesla super charging stations are spaced apart so you can easily be able to drive from Vancouver to Calgary. Even Golden has one (I worked on that project). It's always nice to stop and stretch your legs a bit on a long trip. Personally, when I get one, I'm going to mostly use it for local driving.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Glacier wrote:The Tesla super charging stations are spaced apart so you can easily be able to drive from Vancouver to Calgary. Even Golden has one (I worked on that project). It's always nice to stop and stretch your legs a bit on a long trip. Personally, when I get one, I'm going to mostly use it for local driving.

Yeah, I think they'd be great for local driving.

I have no inclination to stop for so long to recharge, though. No way. The other thing for someone like me is being a 1 vehicle owner - this thing would be useless for my summer camping trips and that sort of thing. There's 1 trip I make each summer where this Tesla would leave me F.O.R.D. before I even made it to the destination, let alone getting back home. (think distance & driving conditions: charge station > main roads > logging roads > campsite > logging roads > main roads > charging station = I wouldn't even make it halfway and/or get stuck)

Now, that's just me, but I highly doubt that opinion is a small minority here in BC. This is a great step, but they've still got a long way to go for many of us outdoorsy BC-ers. I think the best that folks such as myself will be able to do for a while yet is still hybrids. :)
Your bias suits you.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Embiggen wrote:Regarding trips to Vancouver: you can stop at the supercharger in Hope and recharge at a rate of up to ~270km of range per half an hour of charging.
Corrections: long term data is limited, but you're wildly overshooting on your battery degradation predictions. Here's what we have so far: http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-s-batt ... tion-data/
"After say 80,000 km, the overall range degradation is seen to be approximately 6%, with a rate of appr 1%/50,000 km from that point onwards."
'30% over time' is technically correct for suitably large values of 'over time'.

Further, you don't need to replace your battery every 6 to 8 years unless something atypical happens to it. They have 8 year unlimited km warranties on the batteries after all.

Well, I wouldn't quite call that good data, even the site says it isn't reliable. If one looks at the dots called XFrank, he has a 60kwh battery then all of a sudden it is an 85kwh battery. I'd say the data is plain goofy and not authoritative at all. Plus, Li-ion battery chemistry is well understood and I don't believe Tesla has anything the rest of the world doesn't.

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Batt ... acity_Loss

My estimates seem to be right especially if the vehicle is used in long trips and the DOD is large. Discharge Depth is a big factor. You are likely to get a longer life from your battery if you take short trips.

Degradation starts slow, after 8 years expect 30% or worse - so says Tesla.
https://www.quora.com/How-often-do-Tesl ... e-replaced

I think also in Canadian weather, you WILL get additional degradation due to colder temperatures. Li-ion hates cold temps.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K wrote:Tofino has a charging station. I see more of them the more I am aware of the signage for them.

It is key to the multitudes to have more charging stations, no question.

Way back in 2015 I said this, that electric charging stations is the key to the multitudes to own electric cars.
And now?

Ta Da!

Christy Clark's Liberal Minority Government is desperately trying to cling to power by pre-empting the Green Party voters with goodies they hadn't thought important in the last oh so distance election.

Fifty Million clams towards??? You guessed it, Electric Charging stations.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#199953

British Columbia's Liberals are promising a $50-million jolt to charge up more electric vehicles across the province.

Environment Minister Jordan Sturdy says the Liberals are not letting their minority government status serve as a roadblock to ongoing plans to build up infrastructure to support electric vehicles.

He says Thursday's throne speech includes a plan to spend $50 million over five years to add more than 4,300 charging stations for electric vehicles.

Sturdy's plans are the latest in a series of announcements in advance of the throne speech, including promises to raise monthly welfare rates by $100 and ban corporate and union donations to political parties.

He says he knows the Liberals face a confidence vote in the legislature that could see their defeat, but the electric vehicle initiative is part of the government's plan to put more zero-emission vehicles on the road.

Last month's election saw the Liberals win 43 seats, one seat short of a majority, and the New Democrats and Greens have an agreement to defeat the Liberals in a confidence vote later this month.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:Nice.

Tesla Motors Inc said on Wednesday it will name its planned small car, intended to move the electric car maker into a broader consumer segment, the Model 3.

The vehicle will go on sale in 2017 and compete with BMW's 3 Series sedans.

The Model 3 will be priced starting at $35,000, or half the starting price of Tesla's first mass-market car, the Model S sedan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tesla-t ... -1.2709068

How is this stacking up now Glacier? Still want one now that it's 2017?

http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Tesla to Sell $35,000 model by 2017.

Post by Queen K »

Dizzy1 wrote:But there are only a limited number of charging stations which will need to be largely expanded if we're to expect such an onslaught of e-cars

Diz, how right you were back then. What do you think now with the Liberal promises?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Currently the Tesla supercharging stations are free to use, wondering if BC Liberal charging station will be the supercharge type & will they match tesla free use.

If they are the standard charging units then hopefully a coffee shop is near by. lol, because it will be a long time to get charged.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

If they let me drive at 200+ kph then I don't mind stopping for 30 mins to recharge.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:

How is this stacking up now Glacier? Still want one now that it's 2017?

http://www.caranddriver.com/tesla

I don't like the government's idea of spending millions of dollars on charging stations because Tesla has spent millions only to have the government fund the competition. Instead, I would like to see the rebate upped to the point that most people will be buying electric cars. This will encourage a market of charging stations. Let the free market decide which is the best car. The Chevy Bolt is pretty much as good as Tesla 3, but I would pay the extra couple grand to get the Tesla because of their super charging stations. There are charging stations for the Bolt (I know of two just in Vernon), but they aren't as good.

I might end up buying the Chevy Bolt in two years (once my van dies) if the government spends big money on charging stations. Otherwise, it will be the Tesla 3.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Tesla website says if you give your $1000 deposit now, it won't be until mid 2018 or "later" before you get your vehicle.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, the bolt looks nice. I see there has been a recent price increase, but still a $5000 incentive which makes it $40,290. So for $800 a month over 5 years you can have one.

I just heard a report on Q13 news that self driving shared cars will make up 25% of all miles driven by 2030 and car ownership will end in our lifetime. So maybe no point buying a car anymore? lol.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Jlabute wrote:Yeah, the bolt looks nice. I see there has been a recent price increase, but still a $5000 incentive which makes it $40,290. So for $800 a month over 5 years you can have one.

I just heard a report on Q13 news that self driving shared cars will make up 25% of all miles driven by 2030 and car ownership will end in our lifetime. So maybe no point buying a car anymore? lol.

It's actually a rebate of $11,000 ($6,000 provincially, $5,000 federally).
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”