Paramount Theatre Closing

Even Steven
Guru

Re: Paramount Theatre Closing

Post by Even Steven »

Last time I was there it smelled like mothballs. And overall feeling was very blockbustery. Not as in "big movies" but as in "another business way past its prime and not able to adopt and scheduled for shut down thanks to Internet and very narrow target audience"
TedD
Board Meister

Post by TedD »

The Paramount Theatre in Kelowna will show its final movie later this year.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/16 ... e#comments

March 28 really isn't later this year. "Later this year" would be like the fall or so.

Sad to see it go.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I always thought it was cool that they showed some lesser-known films, but like many in this thread, I don't go there much. I saw Blue Jasmine at the Paramount in 2013, and I can't remember if I've been back since.

to lesliepaul: You might be surprised how low the profit margins are on a movie theatre. Their overhead is tremendous...huge buildings to lease, heat, and cool, staffing costs (even at minimum wage), etc. Charging $5.00 for a nickel worth of popcorn kernels isn't done out of greed, it's how they get by. As for the films they show, bringing in the off-the-beaten-path movies is a good way to feel proud of yourself and an even better way to go broke. I really believe they show what they do out of necessity. You'll also notice that smaller movie houses simply aren't being built anymore. 8-10 screens seems to be the minimum.

I remember when Kelowna had five movie screens...one at the Paramount, two at the other one downtown which is now some sort of faith healing thing (was that the Uptown Cinema?) and two more in the ground floor of the medical/office building in Orchard Plaza. That one became the five-screen Orchard Plaza Cinema we have now. Things have changed and grown a lot, but IMO the only one that's upped the game is the Xtreme 8 in West Kelowna.

So long, Paramount Theatre. It's not you, it's me.
Last edited by JayByrd on Mar 17th, 2016, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
acrent7

Post by acrent7 »

Bman wrote:They say they're putting a restaurant in there.
Yup. Another downtown restaurant.
Just what we need.
If it doesn't survive they can always put a thrift store in the location. Or a dozen Starbucks. It's big enough.

We love going downtown! The restaurants would survive if locals would go...so much bitterness and resentment towards any life and excitement and action downtown..........go enjoy it and it will survive. Support local!
ktowner
Fledgling

Post by ktowner »

The more I think about this the more it makes sense.... Kelowna needs a couple more restaurants downtown, preferably ones with a 16-24 month life span.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I went to the Paramount many years ago. In other movies the feature had always been preceded by a cartoon. I was surprised and amused to see the cartoon was replaced by a Ford commercial.
Black Dogs Matter
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

Mmmmmmm, I can't wait to see what delicious food this new place will serve, lol
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

Snarf wrote:Mmmmmmm, I can't wait to see what delicious food this new place will serve, lol

I am going to miss the theater. Definitely my favorite place to see a movie in the Okanagan. Rumor has it www.craftbeermarket.ca is moving in. I guess they're hoping to capitalize on the money train the new tower will bring in.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

sublime wrote:
I am going to miss the theater. Definitely my favorite place to see a movie in the Okanagan. Rumor has it http://www.craftbeermarket.ca is moving in. I guess they're hoping to capitalize on the money train the new tower will bring in.

Is that development still a go?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Noisy Boater wrote:Probably dating myself here but does anyone remember theaters with a balcony ? Theater in Prince George had one as well as Cranbrook. Years ago when we lived in Cloverdale the old Clova theater had $2.00 movie nights bring your own bowl for popcorn and they had a few double seats so you could snuggle yer honey and no fighting over armrest.!! I also remember 25 plus years ago there was a theater in Calgary which allowed smoking on the side sections. That was also back in the day when you could smoke on planes. If you ever get down to Oliver they have a cool old theater right on the main drag. Velvet curtains and all the cool old stuff.

I do! I do! In fact I recall the theatre in New Westminster on Columbia Street was also called the Paramount. We went there as kids, and as somebody else said, your parents could drop you off and come back and get you two hours later. I also recall when there was a 'Battle of the Bands' on Columbia Street in New West and all the bands were playing on the roof above the theatres, almost like a street party.

And the Clova? Haha, I was there, in elementary school mind you on Saturday afternoons. Still remember going there with friends. As I got older it was the Clova Pub we tended to hang out at (the older one, not the new one).

I even remember the Surrey Drive-In. We were very young but we would all load up into the old Studebaker and take our blankets, be in our pj's. Later we went there as teens and young adults. I still remember the 'combo burgers'.

Yeah, first the drive-ins, now the movie theatres. Gone. I think business is under-estimating the power of RETRO and baby-boomers myself. It's gonna make a comeback, and soon.
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

pepsilover wrote:
Yeah, first the drive-ins, now the movie theatres. Gone. I think business is under-estimating the power of RETRO and baby-boomers myself. It's gonna make a comeback, and soon.

It sounds like you have a bulletproof business plan there. Get on it. Maybe the Dragon's Den will help you finance the millions of dollars your venture will cost.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Want to go to drive-in then go to Enderby
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Mr Danksworth wrote:

It sounds like you have a bulletproof business plan there. Get on it. Maybe the Dragon's Den will help you finance the millions of dollars your venture will cost.

Nah, I don't need the money. I'm pretty good that way. BUT it would be worth going to Dragon's Den just to meet Kevin O'Leary! :smt045
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Want to go to drive-in then go to Enderby

I heard a few years back that one is still open. Sounds like a plan.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Want to go to drive-in then go to Enderby

pepsilover wrote:I heard a few years back that one is still open. Sounds like a plan.

http://www.starlightdrivein.ca

I believe it opened in early to mid 90's, I've never heard anything about shutdown in time since.

Added later: If memory serve me in area of Orchard Ford & Bannister GM was where Kelowna's drive in was.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”