Uber is coming to town...

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Uber is coming to town...

Post by MAPearce »

MA worked in Victoria 8 years ago and jbraid worked in Kelowna I think I would go with the latters opinion.

Take who's opinion you want G.. I've also done over ten years in Kelowna with Kelowna Cabs ,Checkmate and that little ol company called In Town Taxi..
In total , I've "hacked" for over 20 years .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MAPearce wrote:Picking and choosing customers to select the cream isn't part of the deal...

If you're so worried about drunks and hooligans not being picked up by Uber, don't worry, cab companies hurting for business will be there to take care of them.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

If you're so worried about drunks and hooligans not being picked up by Uber, don't worry, cab companies hurting for business will be there to take care of them.

I'm not.... But Uber should be worried about that ..

Offering service for hire is inclusive to all.. Don't think for a minute that Uber will be able to discriminate for ANY reason..

Drunks , old people ,the blind and their dogs , and "short hop" trips that net less money than the cost in gas just to get to them are all things that cabs have to do under the condition of licence ..Expect that to be any part of Ubers conditions IF they get approval to operate..

But don't let me stop you from finding that out for yourself..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MAPearce wrote:Offering service for hire is inclusive to all.. Don't think for a minute that Uber will be able to discriminate for ANY reason..

Discrimination? I don't think you understand how rating for drivers and passengers works. Drivers quickly rate their drivers from 1 to 5, passengers rate their drivers from 1 to 5 after the ride is over. If a passenger has low rating due to previous problems (loud, rude, drunk, etc.) nobody will pick him up. It ain't discrimination. Similarly, if driver's rating goes below certain mark, Uber will remove this driver from the system cutting off the stream of income. It's already in place in half the world and half of Canada.

Sorry for poking holes in your perfect bubble world where things are the way you want them to be. But like I said, all the drunk can still call the cabs for the usual rude behaviour, lack of service, smelly cars with "check engine" lights on.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

It ain't discrimination.

hmm.
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/164 ... ber-driver

There has to be better back ground checks on Uber Drivers
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

susyq wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/164314/Sex-charge-for-Uber-driver

There has to be better back ground checks on Uber Drivers

If he had no past history, how do you stop this?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Uber is just a stepping stone before Google's driverless cars. Taxi drivers as they are today will be obsolete in the near future.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

not that near
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

forum wrote:Uber is just a stepping stone before Google's driverless cars. Taxi drivers as they are today will be obsolete in the near future.

Yeah .. like pilotless airliners...

Not gonna happen.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:

Yeah .. like pilotless airliners...

Not gonna happen.

Guess you've never seen a drone?

The pilot is only there now because passengers don't want a pilotless aircraft. Today's planes can take off, land and even taxi to a gate all on their own. Most airplane crashes are pilot error and have been cut down dramatically as pilot input is gradually reducing.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

goatboy wrote: Guess you've never seen a drone?

Not even a point Goatboy. It's a losing battle having a discussion against a former or current cabbie. We already know his opinion. It's one thing to discuss both sides it's another to be totally biased in a discussion.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
cyberking

Post by cyberking »

Lmao ... planes that flywith no pilots.. BOY.. I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
They dont exist.. all the computers can do is hold a cruising altitude and speed.. officially Uber is not operating here yet.. but why are they hiring drivers ????
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

cyberking wrote:Lmao ... planes that flywith no pilots.. BOY.. I THINK YOU NEED TO STOP WATCHING MOVIES
They dont exist.. all the computers can do is hold a cruising altitude and speed.. officially Uber is not operating here yet.. but why are they hiring drivers ????

Yeah, OK

With such sophisticated technology, the Boeing 787 is certified to even land itself, without pilot input, in zero visibility conditions.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Guess you've never seen a drone?

There is a difference between a flying remote control camera , or ordinance deployment vehicle if you wish and a commercial passenger airliner G ...

If you think that those in gov't , the industry and people that use airliners would ever allow them to go pilotless , you'd better have another sniff of that glue ..

Return to “Central Okanagan”