Volcanoes....

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Volcanoes....

Post by averagejoe »

Should be headline news....guess it's not a feel good story?

Global volcanic unrest as six eruption’s registered since last Wednesday in The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Philippines, Chile, Alaska, Mexico and Japan

March had been a quiet month for volcanic activity….until yesterday that is!
After the three mighty colossi, Pavlof volcano Alaska, The Popocatepetl volcano Mexico, and Sakurajima volcano in South Japan all erupted within hours of each other yesterday a fourth and fifth volcano have erupted today!
The volcanic peak Copahue, which sits at the border of Argentina and Chile, erupted today after weeks of gradually increasing activity along with the Kanlaon Volcano in the Philippines .
Last Wednesday The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Nyiragongo volcano was also releasing up to 50,000 tonnes of polluted gas per day as eruption thought to be imminent.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/global-v ... and-japan/
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Volcanoes....

Post by averagejoe »

Wakey, wakey....another dormant volcano awakens....North Korea

One of world’s worst volcanoes ACTIVE after hundreds of years dormant

A VOLCANO in North Korea which once underwent one of the most violent eruptions in history has been confirmed as being active again.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/6 ... rs-dormant
Last edited by averagejoe on Apr 18th, 2016, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Mexico....this morning.

Mexico's Popocatépetl volcano spews ash two MILES into the air: Puebla is caked in white dust as eruption forces closure of airport
The Mexican volcano Popocatépetl began erupting around 2.30am on Monday, covering the city in dust and ash
Popocatépetl has been a highly active volcano near the city of Puebla since 1994 and erupted early this year also
A massive plume of ash and smoke shot two miles into the air during the eruption, which caused Puebla International Airport to shut down from 7am until 1pm
A webcam captured the spectacular explosion in a black and white video at the moment of the eruption
Officials are urging people to wear masks to avoid inhaling the fine grit, which has covered houses and cars

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z46E4sQOQb

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

averagejoe wrote:Mexico....this morning.

Mexico's Popocatépetl volcano spews ash two MILES into the air...

Cool video.

Lots of activity lately (volcanoes, earthquakes).
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

One wonders how much co2 is pumped into atmosphere when one volcano blow its top. Knowing how many worldwide spewing co2 adds up to to one hell of a lot of co2.

Something to think about maybe
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Lots of studies actually revolving volcanos effects on the atmosphere

According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... or-humans/
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

There's an interesting comment for that story:
The 20% increase in CO2 over the last 200 years amounts to an overall increase of 0.006% to a total CO2 concentration of 0.036%. Even with a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry it's apparent that there is no way in hell that such trace amounts of ANY greenhouse gas can affect world-wide climate to the extent we're led to believe. But Scientific American has pushed this idea to rediculous extremes. It's sensationalized and very poor science at its worst. Shameful!

I haven't run this poster's figures for accuracy, but it did make me wonder:
...the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide...

Setting aside the question of how accurately each of these figures was calculated, the comparison in your story is akin to the volcanic activity adding 2 ml of a chemical to a tub of water, versus human activity adding 240 ml of that same chemical to that same tub of water.

How much of a difference this makes would depend very much on the size of the tub.

If the concentration is truly as low as this Lipkin says it is, that's a bit of a perspective shift.

Data to explore here: http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/global.html (note the significant seasonal variation).

ETA: Oh, dear. Just noticed this on that site:
The amount of CO2 emissions from fossil fuel burning comes from the Open-source Data Inventory for Anthropogenic CO2 (ODIAC) and is based on economic data. Most of the emissions are in the Northern Hemisphere
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Another volcano awakes....

Nobody Saw This Volcano Erupt … Except NASA's Satellites

www.livescience.com/54713-mount-souraba ... h-atlantic

looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Just checked out the website that was quoted and this is what I got:

TECH HEALTH PLANET EARTH SPACE STRANGE NEWS ANIMALS HISTORY HUMAN NATURE SHOP
Oops!

Things we can't find:
The page you're looking for.

Things we have found:
Why Do Men Have Nipples?
Solved! How Ancient Egyptians Moved Massive Pyramid Stones
13 Scientifically Proven Signs You're in Love | Am I Falling in Love?
Does Marijuana Make You Stupid?
Alien 'Wow!' Signal Could Soon be Explained
Please accept our apologies.
Hopefully these links will get you on your way.

I didn't see anything there about NASA or volcanoes. I did get information about, "Why men have nipples", though.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I trust we're not blaming this interesting phenomenon on global warming, given that it happens below the surface. Or are we? I know from my upbringing that we're supposedly living in the end of time. The Rapture! Or is it just a coincidence? I don't think there has ever been scientific comment that all volcanoes or even some at distance are physically connected. But very interesting nevertheless. Popacatapetl. The volcano that suddenly appeared in the farmer's field, no? All fascinating.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Likely caused by chemtrails
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Another one in Costa Rica...

Costa Rican capitol affected by strong eruption of Turrialba Volcano

May 2016 – COSTA RICA – The strong eruption by volcano Turrialba at the 01:19 local time affected a great part of the Costa Rican capital, which got up Thursday covered by a thin layer of ashes. Television stations transmitted images of the exact moment of the explosion, with a column of smoke and ashes, gases and other materials. The Turrialba is 3,340 meters high, the 2nd highest in Costa Rica after the Irazu volcano, with 3,432 meters, and the experts stated that after this eruption, which lasted 11 minutes, the volcano went back to its passive state.

https://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress ... a-volcano/

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Another eruption....this time in Guatemala

A volcanic eruption at Guatemala’s Volcan de Fuego, one of the most active volcanoes in Central America, has sparked the evacuation of the area surrounding the peak.

Guatemala’s National Institute for Seismology and Vulcanology are reporting that an ash column reaching 5,500 meters (18,000 feet) above sea level has emerged, while “moderate” lava flow is pouring out of the mountain.

https://www.rt.com/news/343476-guatemal ... vacuation/

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Volcanoes eruptions are starting to get as frequent as major earthquakes these days.....

Another one erupts after being dormant for 400 years.....

I wonder how many are opening up under seas and warming our oceans?

SUMATRA , Indonesia, May 22 (UPI) -- A volcano eruption in western Indonesia killed at least seven people over the weekend and is still spewing ash, hampering rescue efforts.

Those killed were farming in an area declared unsafe due to the proximity to Mount Sinabung, the BBC reported.

Two other people are in critical condition as officials warn the volcano could erupt again, USA Today reported. The same volcano killed more than a dozen people when it erupted in 2014. It also erupted in 2010 for the first time in 400 years.

Return to “World”