BCHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: BCHL

Post by Glacier »

Take out Vernon, and it's only 4.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

So the Vancouver Giants are, I presume, booting Jr. A hockey out of Langley. The W.K. Warriors were moved to Westside and now West Kelowna from Langley because Langley didn't support its Jr. A team then (10 years ago). And of course Major Junior/WHL moved into Chilliwack whose BCHL team then moved to Langley after the "Warriors" pulled out; I'm not privy as to how Langley supported that franchise, but it seems like a Titanic-type exercise in musical franchises. Why wouldn't the V Giants at least move to Abbotsford which had a AHL team for a couple of years and must have put a few rear ends in seats in their fantastic new arena. All too much for my simple mind, I guess.

I grew up with Phil Maloney and the old Vancouver Canucks; there was a professional franchise in New Westminster then, or for a while. BTW, last time I looked, Maloney, a hero of mine, was still alive and living in Ontario.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

occasional thoughts wrote:So the Vancouver Giants are, I presume, booting Jr. A hockey out of Langley. The W.K. Warriors were moved to Westside and now West Kelowna from Langley because Langley didn't support its Jr. A team then (10 years ago). And of course Major Junior/WHL moved into Chilliwack whose BCHL team then moved to Langley after the "Warriors" pulled out; I'm not privy as to how Langley supported that franchise, but it seems like a Titanic-type exercise in musical franchises. Why wouldn't the V Giants at least move to Abbotsford which had a AHL team for a couple of years and must have put a few rear ends in seats in their fantastic new arena. All too much for my simple mind, I guess.

I grew up with Phil Maloney and the old Vancouver Canucks; there was a professional franchise in New Westminster then, or for a while. BTW, last time I looked, Maloney, a hero of mine, was still alive and living in Ontario.

More then likely the choice of Langley over Abbotsford is being closer to Vancouver for diehard fans, Langley arena was built around same time as the one in Abbotsford smaller at 5,800.

Moving out of Pacific Coliseum opens up the possibility of Canucks farm club moving in from Utica New York. Similar setup Toronto Maple Leafs have with Marlies 8 minutes away at Ricoh Coliseum.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

The Langley Rivermen intend to relocate to the George Preston Arena in Langley, which hosted the various incarnations of Langley Jr A hockey prior to the opening of the LEC. What their long-term future will be, I don't know, but they will be around for the upcoming season. George Preston has a 1200 seat capacity. It had been the home of the Langley Knights Jr B club, and I don't know what they intend to do.

A quick scan shows that the Rivermen's attendance wasn't particularly strong this year, but not severely out of whack with the rest of the league. Some nights less than 1000, a few times over 2000. So I don't think a too-small rink will be their downfall.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote: Moving out of Pacific Coliseum opens up the possibility of Canucks farm club moving in from Utica New York. Similar setup Toronto Maple Leafs have with Marlies 8 minutes away at Ricoh Coliseum.

Utica's advantage is the dense population base in the Northeast. Their entire division is within a few hours drive. Thanks to the formation of the AHL's Pacific Division, a potential Canucks farm team in Vancouver (or Abbotsford or Seattle for that matter) wouldn't be alone on the west coast, but their closest opponents are in California.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:
Moving out of Pacific Coliseum opens up the possibility of Canucks farm club moving in from Utica New York. Similar setup Toronto Maple Leafs have with Marlies 8 minutes away at Ricoh Coliseum.

JayByrd wrote:Utica's advantage is the dense population base in the Northeast. Their entire division is within a few hours drive. Thanks to the formation of the AHL's Pacific Division, a potential Canucks farm team in Vancouver (or Abbotsford or Seattle for that matter) wouldn't be alone on the west coast, but their closest opponents are in California.

The advantage for Canucks would be availability of players to main team within minutes for 41 home games, instead of hours from east coast add in the little jet lag.
Main reason for farm club is emergency backup for injured players on main club, possibly punishment for players from main club who need wake up call (those that don't no movement clause, lol).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I'm surprised that Jr. A Langley will remain in Langley given their spotty history, but good luck I guess. Williams Lake once had a Jr. A team (not that long ago) as did Quesnel and, I believe I read once, Bellingham. Hmm, where else could we counsel them to go. Nelson has a very strong Jr. B team, but they seem happy with it at that level. Squamish? Just speculating.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

occasional thoughts wrote:I'm surprised that Jr. A Langley will remain in Langley given their spotty history, but good luck I guess. Williams Lake once had a Jr. A team (not that long ago) as did Quesnel and, I believe I read once, Bellingham. Hmm, where else could we counsel them to go. Nelson has a very strong Jr. B team, but they seem happy with it at that level. Squamish? Just speculating.

Currently their is 17 teams in BCHL & 131 teams Nation wide in J "A".
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:The advantage for Canucks would be availability of players to main team within minutes for 41 home games, instead of hours from east coast add in the little jet lag.
Main reason for farm club is emergency backup for injured players on main club, possibly punishment for players from main club who need wake up call (those that don't no movement clause, lol).

Well there is the player development aspect, but that can be accomplished in any locale. I agree with your reasoning for an AHL club in the Vancouver area, I just believe it would be cost prohibitive. Time will tell, of course.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

occasional thoughts wrote:I'm surprised that Jr. A Langley will remain in Langley given their spotty history, but good luck I guess. Williams Lake once had a Jr. A team (not that long ago) as did Quesnel and, I believe I read once, Bellingham. Hmm, where else could we counsel them to go. Nelson has a very strong Jr. B team, but they seem happy with it at that level. Squamish? Just speculating.

I have doubts about the viability of a Langley BCHL franchise as well. It's probably already too late to find a new home for the 2016-17 season, assuming they want to.

There is a group fronted by former Kelowna Rocket Rob Sandrock trying very hard to bring junior hockey back to Williams Lake, but they are hoping for a KIJHL (or other Jr B league) club. Though the PG Spruce Kings would be tickled pink to have one opponent that isn't an 8 hr bus ride away. Travel costs are just such a huge factor in junior hockey, and pro as well for that matter. As for Nelson, it's a city of 10,000 people with an 80 yr old arena. Not saying Jr A hockey could never succeed there, but I don't think it's a candidate for a BCHL club.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:The advantage for Canucks would be availability of players to main team within minutes for 41 home games, instead of hours from east coast add in the little jet lag.

JayByrd wrote:Well there is the player development aspect, but that can be accomplished in any locale. I agree with your reasoning for an AHL club in the Vancouver area, I just believe it would be cost prohibitive. Time will tell, of course.

Since 1994 Vancouver farm club has been jump around a bit.... Syracuse Crunch, Kansas City Blades, Manitoba Moose, Chicago Wolves & current Utica Comets.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Hmm, JayByrd, my No. 1 son got a look-see with the Nelson Leafs almost 10 years ago and they had a brand new arena.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

occasional thoughts wrote:Hmm, JayByrd, my No. 1 son got a look-see with the Nelson Leafs almost 10 years ago and they had a brand new arena.

I stand corrected and actually rather embarrassed. I recall visiting Nelson (it was 2003) and Leafs games advertised on the marquee at the old barn there. And just the other day, I was reading an article about the potential relocation of both the male and female major midget clubs from Nelson, both of which use the old rink as well.

The embarrassed part is because I do broadcast work in the KI and it's my business to know that sort of thing, though I will cop out and say Nelson is in the other conference and we only play them every second year. Oops.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

n/p of course but I was puzzled because that was the nicest, spankingest new 80-year-old arena I ever saw!

Seriously, it had everything; I think it was physically connected to the swimming pool? It had a wonderful work-out facility. Nelson was (is) quite fortunate to have sprung for it, and I thought they'd be a natural "enemy" for the Smoke Eaters and a fit for the BCHL.

Alas, my son didn't make Jr., although I thought he should have made the Leafs given my read of the other try-outs; he was one of the smartest players on the ice but maybe a semi-step too slow in skating. He went on to a (dare I say) brilliant final minor year with the Westside Midget AAA team (they were AA but played AAA and went on to AA provincials in Quesnel where they lost in the final). Now he's a musician.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

occasional thoughts wrote:n/p of course but I was puzzled because that was the nicest, spankingest new 80-year-old arena I ever saw!

Seriously, it had everything; I think it was physically connected to the swimming pool? It had a wonderful work-out facility. Nelson was (is) quite fortunate to have sprung for it, and I thought they'd be a natural "enemy" for the Smoke Eaters and a fit for the BCHL.

Alas, my son didn't make Jr., although I thought he should have made the Leafs given my read of the other try-outs; he was one of the smartest players on the ice but maybe a semi-step too slow in skating. He went on to a (dare I say) brilliant final minor year with the Westside Midget AAA team (they were AA but played AAA and went on to AA provincials in Quesnel where they lost in the final). Now he's a musician.

They seem to have it right when they build new facilities these days. I think the CNC here in Kelowna, with all of it's amenities, plus the H2o next door is a great thing for the community. Even Rutland Arena, though it's not new, is close to playing fields, the Y, and the motocross track. I love the idea of having that recreational hub.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”