Minstrel Cafe Closed?

Retrosnap
Board Meister

Minstrel Cafe Closed?

Post by Retrosnap »

Drove by this evening at 7, saw that it looked closed. Checked out their web page, and they confirm they are under new ownership and will be closed ALL SUMMER?!?

Does anyone have any non-negative information about what has happened and what may be in store?
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Minstrel Cafe Closed?

Post by tsayta »

Boo
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I think the owners of Turtle Bay and what used to be the Blue Heron in Vernon bought the Minstrel......unless it failed for them and they shut it down already?
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There was an article on another news site that they sold it but no info on a re opening of any kind.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That's an old one ferri, it's been sold again.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

well for crying out loud. i saw it was old news. i'll look again. :cry:
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

aaaaand i was thinking of a different place...i found the article, it's just the wrong cafe. so nevermind. lol
― Albert Einstein
parent123
Board Meister

Post by parent123 »

Local media: Only Castanet, please.
Last edited by ferri on Jun 8th, 2016, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link to local media other than Castanet
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Barely 6 months under the previous new owners...in another article I read that the distance from their core holdings in the north made it a distraction.

I was a fan of the original ownership...I liked the menu and I liked that they had live music more than twice a week. I went a number of times under the "new" ownership, and for me, it was missing something.

The competition for dining dollars in Kelowna is fierce. An extended closure could make things difficult if they plan to start up again.
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I never understood why Claire, the original owner sold in the first place. He had a good little gig going there and it outlived a lot of others. Good location. Huh....?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I never understood why Claire, the original owner sold in the first place. He had a good little gig going there and it outlived a lot of others. Good location. Huh....?

May be it wasn't making enough money. May be she was tired of running it. May be it was more headache than it was worth it.

Running a business ain't all puppies and unicorns.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

mexicalidreamer wrote:I never understood why Claire, the original owner sold in the first place. He had a good little gig going there and it outlived a lot of others. Good location. Huh....?

Even Steven wrote:May be it wasn't making enough money. May be she was tired of running it. May be it was more headache than it was worth it.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/13 ... nges-hands

Clare Anderson and his wife opened the restaurant just 15 years ago, but his controlling partner chose to sell, and he couldn't get the financing to buy him out.

“It wasn't what I wanted. I had most recently expressed to him that I had spoke with some people who would potentially finance me in the fall, but he was in control and made the decision three weeks ago to sell it,” says Anderson.

“It is not what I wanted, no, but that is business, and it has new rightful owners based on the decision my partner made.”
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I believe there could be some restoration/reno work going on. Just what I heard.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Even Steven wrote:May be it wasn't making enough money. May be she was tired of running it. May be it was more headache than it was worth it.

When the new owners took over, they made many changes including no take out until further notice. Tried to order something there when they did a couple of times for take out and they would not accommodate me so I have gone elsewhere. Also, I've been told by friends that the live band / music is so loud in there its difficult to hold a conversation while eating.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.

Return to “Central Okanagan”