Another shooting rocks the world

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Another shooting rocks the world

Post by Glacier »

Schools are already open in the States?

Atlanta (CNN) -- A man who opened fire at a Georgia elementary school Tuesday was armed with an AK-47 "and a number of other weapons," police said.

The shooter barricaded himself in the school's front office with employees before eventually surrendering to police, DeKalb County Police Chief Cedric Alexander told reporters.
No one was injured, authorities said.

Suspected shooter Michael Brandon Hill, 20, faces charges including aggravated assault on a police officer, terroristic threats and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said.

The shooter fired about six shots from inside the school toward officers as they approached outside, Alexander said, and police returned fire.

Police said it is unclear whether the suspect had any connection with the school, the Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy, which is about seven miles east of downtown Atlanta. Investigators think the gunman entered the school behind someone, Alexander said.
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 21st, 2013, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Glacier wrote:Schools are already open in the State?

Depends on the type of school year and hours the county/state has decided on. School can start at 7:00 a.m. in some states and 8:30 a.m. in others.

Traditional School Year - School starts up the week before or after Labor Day (1st Monday in September) and runs through early/mid June. Some districts run mid August to early June.

Modified School Year - Schools tend to go back mid to end of July, have two weeks off in October, two weeks for winter and two weeks in spring and get out early June.

Year-round Schools - The students are on different tracks so there are usually some kids in school and some out.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

A sad day in Oregon today.

13 dead and the gunman purportedly was encourage to go on his shooting rampage. Shouldn't those in that chatroom be charged with something? Anything? Accessory?

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#148903
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Kansas this time: What gives?

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#159421

And as the article says, fresh on the heels of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

How long will it take for the "blame Obama" crowd to say it?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

People should not be quick to blame the 2nd Amendment and the hundreds of millions of cheap and easy handguns in the US for these tragedies. The fault lies with the victims for not anticipating these shootings and packing their own pieces to defend themselves.

It takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun. Get with the program, you losers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Speaking of losers, a guy shot his family dead in WA today and then shot himself dead after a long stand off.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#159471

What were you babbling about?
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

The family should have known handguns are most often used for suicides and to kill family members, and therefore should have armed themselves in order to take out dad before dad took out them.

Guns are not the problem here.

I may not watch FOX nor read Breitbart nor The Daily Caller, but I do know all of the brilliant right wing NRA talking points.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ohhh "right wing talking points" right. Carry on. I now see satire.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#160312

Five dead, one big man hunt. Send the man hunters over to the Westside area, six are dead, unsolved.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

An alleged alcoholic and bipolar person with possible suicidal tendencies apparently had a loaded and cocked rifle sitting in a closet . . ..

Uh huh, and no problems expected with that.
Wife of Eagles' Randy Meisner Shot and Killed, Investigation Ongoing
Los Angeles County Medical Examiner treating death as accident

BY DANIEL KREPS March 7, 2016

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... g-20160307

CNN reports that, according to the Los Angeles Police Department, investigators believe that a rifle accidentally discharged while being moved in a closet. "As she lifted the rifle in the case, another item within the case shifted and hit the trigger of the rifle causing it to fire and fatally injure Mrs. Meisner,"

Meisner was placed under court-ordered 24-hour supervision following a January 2015 incident where he allegedly threatened murder-suicide with an AK-47 and pills. In July 2015, Meisner's friend James Newton filed documents necessary to attain a temporary conservatorship over the former Eagles member, with Newton claiming Meisner was diagnosed as bipolar and suffered from "suicidal ideations." . . .

At the time of the January 2015 incident, Meisner was being treated for alcoholism and was being medicated for a "mood disorder." . . .

A friend of mine's significant other had a similar problem and supposedly all the guns were cleared from the house, except for one handgun . . .. Registration laws weren't even much help with that one.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Like the NRA says, nothing wrong with all the guns in the States, move a long, move along.

Ohhhh, another five dead. Different day, same thing. Five dead here, five dead there. 39 homicides in Chicago over the weekend. But this is Pittsburgh, maybe this is a slow gun day when two shoot up a party:

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#160405
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Jonrox wrote:The problem is that Americans have created and fallen in love with their culture of guns. Allowing what are essentially militaristic weapons to be owned by civilians promotes it even further. Just the fact that they can be legally owned promotes the gun culture in the US.

Gone_Fishin wrote:No they haven't. Americans recognize that a gun is a tool, just like a hammer or saw.

You were just owned by Rwede who exposed your "I don't understand it so let's ban it" mentality. From that, you should endeavour to understand better, instead of screaming for bans. But I don't expect that is likely, as it's far easier to stay ignorant and call for bans.

I think what some of us are trying to explore is that while some tools can be used as weapons, that's not what they were built for. Tools like hammers and saws were clearly designed for non-lethal purposes. I grew up around rifles and understood that they are, with respect to hunting, simply tools. They helped to keep our family fed, and more than once while living in the bush I took one to the basement with me to investigate a noise, or to the biffy at camp to protect my children. So yes, I also understand the protection factor.

But I've never been comfortable with the notion of treating weapons which were clearly designed strictly for warfare, as anything other than weapons. Yes, they're the tools of war. But what place do tools of war really occupy in a peaceful civilian society? That's the part I truly can't get my head around, try as I might.

We insist on keeping these weapons in our grip in case our government tries to disarm the nation, but at a terrible cost. Few of us would argue we ought to keep grenades or rocket launchers or gunpowder or dynamite in our homes, despite their potential usefulness should our government ever go rogue.

When I weigh a collector or enthusiasts disappointment against the loss of life one of these weapons can cause in the wrong hands within a matter of seconds, it's difficult for me to remain sympathetic to the hobbyist.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

And then there's this:
Former Agriculture Commissioner Charlie Bronson, who ran the agency that issues the permits, doesn't believe gun laws need to be changed. He said assault rifles like the AR-15 Omar Mateen used in the Orlando attacks also are used for legitimate purposes.

"People use AR-15s to hunt deer, to hunt hogs, to hunt all kinds of game," he said. "Think of the over 1 million people that have them and have never misused them, and they want to do away with certain aspects of the gun permitting or buying weapons because of one person's lawlessness."

Mateen bought his gun legally at the St. Lucie Shooting Center. The owner of a gun store, Ed Henson, said Mateen passed a full background check and that if he hadn't bought the guns from him, he would've purchased them somewhere else. Henson told reporters during a news conference Monday outside his business that he is sorry this "evil person" bought the guns from his store.
http://www.castanet.net/news/World/168178/Assault-rifle-No-problem

So really, at the end of the day, we're back to battling the real bogeyman: intolerance, fear, hysteria and blind adherence to the ideologies that keep us divided and fearful and intolerant and angry.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

logicalview wrote:The thread title is "another shooting rocks the world". While the *removed* left wants to argue about whether the Muslim guy that just shot 50 people in Orlando was Muslim or not, while deflecting about US gun violence as a whole, mass shootings are going on every day all over the world, and it seems one certain religion is responsible for almost all of them. Putting your head in the sand and ignoring them is your choice. But sorry, just because reality conflicts with your PC tenet that all religions are equally bad doesn't mean that it's not on topic. Mass shootings happen almost every day. It's just the ones that occur in Western nations that get any attention. And whenever they occur, its full on spin mode by apologists.

http://www.presstv.ir/DetailFr/2016/06/ ... ujah-Anbar

30 innocent people gunned down just last Friday. But they weren't in a night-club in Orlando, and Christians, the NRA and the Republicans can't be blamed, so therefore these people don't matter.

They do matter. All of them.

But how do we work toward a solution? Do we start in our own communities, or in our own country, or on our own continent, or do we try to tackle the whole problem all at once and throw our hands in the air because it's just too big?

Is there a single solution, or are there several solutions we need to bring into play? Don't the solutions require an understanding of the cause, of all the causes? Some people are confident the cause is guns, others are sure it's a particular religion.

Can it not be a combination of many things, interrelated and independent, all of which need to be addressed to bring peace to the world?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Weapons charges laid in the LA case, but the intent is still uncertain. Looks like another very angry young man:
An Indiana man was charged Tuesday with three felony weapons violations after authorities say they found three assault rifles and explosive chemicals in his car before a major Los Angeles gay pride parade.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/168271/Arrest-before-pride-parade

Return to “World”