Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Total Hip Replacement - Personal Experiences??

Post by pbear »

I've been following along and just want to pass on my best wishes! Hope you are soon back to a healthy, happy life.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

How are you doing Liam?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Bman wrote:How are you doing Liam?

Hey I'm doing pretty good over all thanks for asking!

Honestly just have so much respect for anyone that has had a joint replacement knee/hip whatever..I'm doing it at 27 and its hard knowing I'm going to be doing this at least once more at like 60ish probablly. I think memory blocks out how severe pain is/was. When I originally fractured pelvis/ankle/broke some ribs and collar bone when I was 18 I don't remember the pain being so brutal!

Thankfully everyday is getting better. It's 11days after surgery now. I saw my family doctor for the first time yesterday and he was very happy with how well I'm doing. He said his wife wasn't moving around near as well at 10days when she got her hip done. I'm seeing my physiotherapist today for the first time today! He's great but I'm nervous. I'm still very sore I just want bruises and incision to heal so so bad... I get the staples out in about a week I think now! I'm not sure what new exercises if any I'll be able to add yet besides the ones the hospital gave me. My painkiller use has gone down a bit but still way more than I'd like. Just a lot of sleeping and then moving around hurting like hell and going back to bed!

Each day though swelling, bruising is going down and I'm getting pretty good range of motion! I just wish I could fast forward my life a few weeks/months and be all healed already!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I empathize. I'm laid up with a broken ankle. The painkillers definitely suck the energy right out of you. 5 more weeks of fresh hell before I can start getting back to normal.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I also empathize.
I have tibial dysplasia ( both legs) and it's caused the talus in both feet to be arthritic.
The pain is overwhelming, and constant.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Bman and JLives I definitely empathize and feel for you both as well.

JLives a broken ankle that's gotta ruff! There's gotta be a story to share for that one, what happened? I only ever fractured mine and that was least of my issues at the time. I really hope you heal quick and well.

Bman I'm sorry to hear of your condition it looks like there's not a lot of options and that saddens me to hear you have to live with chronic pain.

So many people are quick to judge or misunderstand how hard it can be to go through the day in constant pain everyday.

I will pray for you both to have more good days than bad and to try and find ways that works best for you to manage your pain.

I have found medical marijuana to be a major help for my day to day osteoarthritis pain and helps with keeping a positive upbeat mood as well.

I'm trying to move away from painkillers and back to just medical marijuana myself again but painkillers do work well I just hate how sick,tired and poisoned I personally feel taking them daily.

Well I'm just off to physio now, I hope it goes well!

Have a good day everyone :)
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 14th, 2016, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

looks like I missed something above ^^ hope it was :130: and not :fence: lol!

Physio went good. Relaxed some of the leg muscles more and even I was impressed with how good some of my range of motion is! mainly just muscle pain right now! once I heal I think I'm going to recover quick and feel a lot better! Just gotta keep taking it slow but steady and doing my exercises!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Just trying to help , for those of you maybe taking to many pain killers for your pain,it slows down healing http://www.abc.net.au/health/minutes/st ... 204924.htm
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Ok well I got a bloody update for today!
Not much has changed in last 2 days very tired and sore still but bruising continuing to go down and range of motion feeling better/getting better.
However I woke up about an hr ago covered in blood...very scary...I looked down and bandage and bed was soaked in blood..Not a lot but it looked like a lot.
I get up blood running down leg and go to bathroom.
After removing bandage and inspecting it looks like a staple must have broke loose in my sleep and it bleed to the point bandage got full and couldn't hold anymore..
It's not bleeding to bad and only out of one spot so I've bandaged it up, cleaned up and unless it turns red and starts dripping blood again I'm sure fine but that was not fun to wake up to!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

your surgery was about 13 days ago, your wound should be closed up by now I think
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

the truth wrote:your surgery was about 13 days ago, your wound should be closed up by now I think

It looks really good with bandage off.. but yeah I dunno I think its healed for the most part. The doctor said it was looking good on monday. I'm getting the staples out on Wed the 22nd when I see the surgeon.. One staple looks lifted, and thats were it was bleeding from today so I think I just like pulled a staple causing it to bleed. Everything looks good and swelling/bruising is way down but If It gets nasty again I'll head to dr/hospital.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

you did all this and avoided the towel bar! :up:

for sure keep an eye on that. that seems a long time to have the staples in. :/
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

That sucks Liam. Hopefully it heals up. I just got my staples out on Tuesday. All 24 of them. I broke my tibula and fibula. They were in for 3 weeks before being removed. That part sucked. Now I'm recasted and will stay that way for several more weeks. Thank goodness for Percocet although it really affects my appetite and energy level which I don't like but is still very necessary.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Health”