Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Post by Bsuds »

Be very careful doing this update. I just spent a week with this after it bricked my laptop!

Hours on the phone with Windows support staff and they even threatened at one point to start charging me for the next level of support.

They finally claimed that the problem was a bad hard drive and I needed to get that fixed.

I gave up on Windows and downloaded and installed Ubuntu (in less than 20 min) and was up and running!
I have done a full scan of the hard drive and found no errors or bad sectors.

2 other computers have upgraded and are running just fine but I am now hesitant to do my Wife's Laptop.

If you do the upgrade through Windows and it fails it will revert back to the original with no problems. But if you try a clean install and if fails you are screwed. So be careful out there people!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update!

Post by Jlabute »

Well, if you got lemons, make lemonade. If u got bricks, make a nice fence ;-)
I wouldn't fool around with the wife's laptop. That will put you into the role of lifetime support.
I did the anniversary update on the surface pro without issue. It fixes some niggly things. Scared me at first... anything called Anniversary update probably includes something underhanded that we don't realize yet.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote:I wouldn't fool around with the wife's laptop. That will put you into the role of lifetime support.

lol I all ready have that designation.

I should apply for an MS Tech job. I know more about it than they do and as a bonus I can speak English!
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

I've performed the Win10 Anniversary update on the four laptops plus the all-in-one at home (all diverse hardware), as well as on my work laptop.

Only my work laptop had an issue that pertained to some third-party keyboard drivers (Steel Series Engine). Removing SSE2 and updating it to SSE3 fixed that issue.

Aside from that - no issues. On 5 very difference devices.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Ubuntu is great. So long as you don't need to run any apps ;)

It is an OS upgrade. Some people are going to have problems.

It will be really interesting to see how this new product lifecycle system for Win10 will work out in the end. The idea is to have more frequent OS upgrades, but each upgrade is supposed to be simpler and low-impact.

The average home user is on their "Current Branch" scheme meaning you can only delay upgrades for about 3 months before you're no longer supported. You're pretty much forced to take these updates.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

They should also have available more advanced help available when an install goes bad.
Your average user would not have the knowledge to do what I have done to try and rectify this and it still will not work!
I don't much want to spend a bunch of money paying someone else to try and fix it.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Bsuds wrote:They should also have available more advanced help available when an install goes bad.

Advanced help is available. There's a fee for that, however. You don't get advanced help for free (or for $150 if you didn't go for the free upgrade). You might point at apple and their techbar - I'd point at the $1500 macbooks that people are buying to fund that. If you actually bought the hardware from Microsoft, you might get better support - I know I do.

Bsuds wrote:Your average user would not have the knowledge to do what I have done to try and rectify this and it still will not work!

Microsoft Support:
Technical Support: 1-800-642-7676 (1-800-MICROSOFT)

Bsuds wrote:I don't much want to spend a bunch of money paying someone else to try and fix it.

Ahh - at the end of the day, you're cheap. I'd hate to be your mechanic.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So 36drew...it's ok with you that Microsoft's update has messed up my computer and now they want me to pay to help fix it?

That's about on par with a mechanic doing work on your car and it now won't run at all but he expects you to pay to repair what he screwed up!

Microsoft's help desk told me that I have done everything right and have no idea why it won't install and can't help me further.

Thanks Microsoft!

ps: why offer their phone #...been there done that! (read that in poor Pakistani English cause that's how most of their people speak)
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Bsuds wrote:So 36drew...it's ok with you that Microsoft's update has messed up my computer and now they want me to pay to help fix it?

The windows kernel is rather simplistic, and will almost always boot. Meaning that you should, at least, be able to get your computer into "safe mode" and review the system logs to determine what went awry.

As for Microsoft messing it up - they provide an operating system. It sounds as though the support tech was leaning towards a hardware fault - which is highly probable. It could have been an errant chipset driver, or perhaps a cache mode enabled on your hard drive that you do not have enabled on Ubuntu. There's a lot of variables, and none of them are Microsoft's "fault". I'm surprised you didn't call your laptop's manufacturer for support.

At the end of the day, you stated your laptop was bricked. The mere fact that you were able to boot it and install another OS is proof positive that it wasn't actually bricked (which often refers to not being able to progress to a boot).
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

36Drew wrote:At the end of the day, you stated your laptop was bricked. The mere fact that you were able to boot it and install another OS is proof positive that it wasn't actually bricked (which often refers to not being able to progress to a boot).

It was bricked as far as getting Windows 10 to load. The HD was formatted so there was no way "to boot it" other than to a different OS as windows would not.

It was working with Win 10 prior to the Anniversary Update and it went bad from there. Some of that may be my fault (the decision to try a clean install) but it was still working before and now it doesn't. (with Windows)
They were not much help!
How can I update drivers with no OS to boot to as well as windows is supposed to load them during install which very well could be where it is hanging!
I like Win 10 and have it on 3 other computers but I'm not so sure I will ever try and get it working on this one again.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Smart thing to do beforehand is to make a disc image backup onto an external. Simple to revert back if anything goes wrong. The free edition of Macrium Reflect covers this angle very well. Should look into it.
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So far I am doing fine with Linux Mint
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Bsuds wrote:So far I am doing fine with Linux Mint

That's good to hear. :smt045 Once I decide to move on from Win 7, it'll either be some Linux distro or something else I haven't discovered / doesn't exist yet. (perhaps holding onto 7 or going with 10 in a dual boot + totally disconnected from the 'net environment, for certain scenarios) Godspeed, good sir! :up:
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bump and update.

I have been using Win 8.1 since all this occured and decided to see if MS had fixed the problem.

Voila! Win10 loaded with no problem other than Wifi was disgustingly slow. A modem reboot fixed that.

added...well for 1 day then it went back to real slow. Load network drivers again and reset modem and now seems OK.
Last edited by Bsuds on Sep 4th, 2017, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:So far I am doing fine with Linux Mint

That's a really good distro and has been serving me well also on several computers.

Ironically my Windows 10 Insider preview edition did an update last night and for the first time broke some stuff. Thank goodness for Macrium Reflect. :200:

That's kind of the risk you take though when you want to be the first to play with stuff.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”