Wild Foraging in N. Ok.

ninaraelove

Wild Foraging in N. Ok.

Post by ninaraelove »

I am just curious as to what kinds of wild food might still be in season, mushrooms, berries, wild asparagus etc.? And if there are, what areas in the North Okanagan are accessible for foraging?
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Wild Foraging in N. Ok.

Post by Graham Adder »

I'm disappointing to see not one reply to this.
I'm disappointed that there are not more people into eating naturally.
I'm disappointed not to have any information to read.

Although I have not taken up on this past-time/task/necessity, I've been interested for some time.
I've got some local reference guides, but they've been packed away for so long I forget everything I ever read in them.
I need to get back into this topic, as I really believe this is one of the ways we need to get back to being grounded to our planet.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

When I lived in Peachland, I was able to harvest large quantities of blackberries, some saskatoon and gooseberries. And in the fall, some not so well-traveled roads gave me enough shaggy-mane fungi (mushrooms) to freeze. There were also some abandoned sites that had old apple trees on them but they would only suit for apple sauce - which was fine with me. There was the occasional wild asparagus patch but they were cropped often - by people who had known about them for far longer than me!!
Chill
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

FF, do you have much experience with mushroom picking?
I've wanted to go out and learn, but to be honest the two different mushroom pickers I have come across were both too far out for even me.
Would still love to get out there and learn from experience.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Graham Adder wrote:I'm disappointing to see not one reply to this.

Although I have not taken up on this past-time/task/necessity, I've been interested for some time.
I've got some local reference guides, but they've been packed away for so long I forget everything I ever read in them.
I need to get back into this topic, as I really believe this is one of the ways we need to get back to being grounded to our planet.

Do you have Food Plants of Interior First Peoples by Nancy Turner? It's published by the Royal BC Museum. It's pretty useful and straightforward for at least some plants around here.
I am... the law!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

there is plenty.

but I'm not sharing my spots
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Graham Adder wrote:I'm disappointing to see not one reply to this.

Sorry you're so disappointed. To cheer you up, I was eating thimble berries yesterday, Low-bush blueberries the day before. I was eating Saskatoons the week before that along with blackberries. Next month I will be picking myself 20 pounds of cranberries. None of those were in the North Okanagan, but the point, is there's lots to forage. You just have to know someone that knows where or get off your a$$ and find the spots for yourself.

In the North Okanagan I've foraged for Asparagus, but got nothing the last couple of years since so many people now know of the spots the sites are picked clean every time I look. I've had more success with choke cherries, saskatoons, and rose hips.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

gman313 wrote:there is plenty.

but I'm not sharing my spots

I too know where there are some good spots but don't share them with many because people sometimes don't 'get' that you can't harvest ALL the plants. Besides the berries which are out there in abundance for those that are willing to put in the time and harvest responsibly and are bear aware. Also there are the (rare) wild carrots, asparagus, mushrooms and one of my favorites water cress.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Ptolemy Soter wrote:Do you have Food Plants of Interior First Peoples by Nancy Turner? It's published by the Royal BC Museum. It's pretty useful and straightforward for at least some plants around here.

I do not have that.
Thanks.
Baulde

Post by Baulde »

Foraged a mule deer and some Shaggy Mane Mushrooms this weekend.
Mushrooms are really starting to come out everywhere. Just don't eat the wrong ones.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I spend a lot of time in the bush, but foraging isn't one of the things I commonly do. Even with a bunch of survival training. I find it a lot of effort for little food. and to be honest - I'm not a fan of most wild foods/berries. Except wild strawberries, man those are tasty - just wish they weren't also tiny.

Mushrooms are everywhere and have a really wide season. Careful not to get the wrong ones, but to be honest - very low chance of serious poisoning from local mushrooms. Upset stomach, mild hallucination, diarrhea, cramps yes, but death or hospitalization is very rare.

Saskatoon berries are very common, especially at lower elevations. Gotta find them in the right week tho.

Many people don't consider wild nuts. Wild Hazelnuts are very common in wetter areas and gullies. If you can beat the birds and rodents, you can find some very tasty wild hazelnuts out there.

Pretty much everything else - you need to find the "spots". If you go out on a random all-day hike, quite likely you won't find anything other than mushrooms and Saskatoon berries.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Berries are pretty much done now, but this year was exceptional and we have enough jam to last a few years.

Shaggy manes are plentiful right now, just have to find the right road. There was frost last weekend so time is running out.

And, we foraged a couple of deer as well. Good start to the winter's supply of meat for us!
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Hey there Rwede that 'old hen' paprikish from the 'hens left in the bush' thread

looks like maybe could have beens 'hens left in the bush'.

You wanna 'fess up or are you gonna keep some of your 'wild' foraging secrets to urself?

Lol

Me, I never tell where I forage and I 'take no survivors'. :up:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Wild Foraging pros: the Masai and the "Honey Guide Birds"

...cool.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

So, I spotted a few wild asparagus last year, post-harvest, and when I went to check on them a week or so ago, I saw that some $(%&*@# had dug all of them up and removed them, save for one plant. Choked here, though I suppose that's what happens when they are too close to fairly well used trails.

Return to “North Okanagan”