Chickens left to die in the bush

AtticSalt

Chickens left to die in the bush

Post by AtticSalt »

Someone dumped some chickens on the side of the road on McCullough road (2nd hairpin road to SEKID's intake) As of toady they are still there..one has died and the others need to be brought home. I would pick them up but have no where to keep them. I honestly did not think that in this day and age there are still people that live amongst us that are that cruel. Why not advertise to give them away?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Chickens left to die in the bush

Post by ferri »

i don't know if the SPCA would do anything, but they may know someone that would rescue these poor things.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Man, is it me or is this chicken thing getting weird?

... maybe the OP from the "i lost my piggy" thread would like a few more pets?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

I did take pictures of them on Sunday (they are quite handsome and do not look to be old as in non-egg laying birds)...and today there is a dead one amongst them and the others are hiding in the bushes trying to scratch up some food. They WILL slowly perish everyday that goes by. I have also found on this road a corn snake and a lizard. I was able to adopt out the corn snake but the lizard died after a few days. This seems to be an area that morons like to 'dump' animals. If they are still around by next weekend I will try to round them up...unless someone wants to go get them sooner...PLEASE do!!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Unwanted chickens. What to do? Most people just kill them and throw them in the trash. SPCA will not take them.

Many people don't understand how many chickens are killed and thown in the trash every year. Hens only lay eggs for a few years and aren't good for eating. Males (roosters) are of no use and are generally killed as soon as it's discovered that they're male.

Dropping them in the bush has it's appeal. Least this way maybe a coyote or a lynx or something could have a meal. Chickens can survive in the bush for weeks on their own. Predators or the cold (well below freezing) will get them tho.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If chickens are hungry enough they'll eat the dead one. Some people are too lazy to place an ad - there's lots of people that would jump at free chickens.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

TylerM4 wrote:Unwanted chickens. What to do? Most people just kill them and throw them in the trash. SPCA will not take them.

Many people don't understand how many chickens are killed and thown in the trash every year. Hens only lay eggs for a few years and aren't good for eating. Males (roosters) are of no use and are generally killed as soon as it's discovered that they're male.

Dropping them in the bush has it's appeal. Least this way maybe a coyote or a lynx or something could have a meal. Chickens can survive in the bush for weeks on their own. Predators or the cold (well below freezing) will get them tho.

Cold, harsh reality. The circle of (chicken) life.

...better not let Pigletkb read this.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

phasyluck wrote:Seriously they're chickens and most of us eat them on a regular basis, nature will take care of them as it always does.

True...but...dying quickly vs suffering slowly is the difference.

Chickens are NOT part of the natural life cycle - they are domesticated animals.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Sep 26th, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

is this what he city of kelowna allowing back yard chickens has come to?
Maybe backyardchickens.com can rescue them and do what ever it is they do with them after they are of no use anymore
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Well after a short drive up McCulloch Rd I am the proud new owner of two black Australorpes, a Delaware hen, and a possible Rhode Island Red rooster. There were only four left by the time I arrived on scene, I would be curious to know how many the OP saw.
They are spending the night in a crappy abandoned camper as I don't have a coop to spare and hadn''t planned on bringing home a flock of bush chickens on a Monday night.
If you are going to keep chickens, you need to be prepared to care for them FOR THEIR LIFETIME or to end their lives humanely. Dumping them in the woods is a crappy solution.
AtticSalt

Post by AtticSalt »

chicken.jpg
Shannon G you ROCK sounds like you know your chickens!!! I did count 12 chickens on Sunday morning. But saving a few is awesome. Some of the comments I have been reading here are awful...I know they are just chickens but someone bought them...raised them and then just they let them go to fend for themselves?? that's just wrong. A Big High five to Shannon!! :up:
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

AtticSalt wrote:
chicken.jpg
Shannon G you ROCK sounds like you know your chickens!!! I did count 12 chickens on Sunday morning. But saving a few is awesome. Some of the comments I have been reading here are awful...I know they are just chickens but someone bought them...raised them and then just they let them go to fend for themselves?? that's just wrong. A Big High five to Shannon!! :up:

HOLY COW there were not that many tonight, and I doubt they would have split up, their instinct would be to flock together. I may have to go back and have another look. I did leave a big pile of chicken feed on the ground.
AtticSalt if you see any more please crate them up and PM me. I'll make arrangements to pick them up from you. Or anyone else who cares enough to go have a look, for that matter. Best time is as dark falls as they have lousy night vision and you can literally pick them out of the trees.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

great work people!

**Those that feel the need to derail the thread with childish, off topic, rude comments. Stop now. It won't be tolerated.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

ferri wrote:i don't know if the SPCA would do anything, but they may know someone that would rescue these poor things.

The spca likely won't do a thing unless there's some profit in it for them.
If they do anything for anything that's not saleable, you can bet it'll be euthanized soon.
Imo they're a poor excuse for an animal shelter.
There's a few organizations around that consider the animals, not their profit.
The spca with their paid board of directors would be the last ones I'd call.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”