Why Carey Price is so good

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Why Carey Price is so good

Post by Woodenhead »

Price is that good because he doesn't play for the Leafs. [icon_lol2.gif]

First time I saw him was in 2007 (my last year living in the Niagara region; Bulldogs games were a treat, being a Habs fan), when I caught a few games in Hamilton during the Calder Cup. He took the team on a helluva run.
Your bias suits you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote:Another player who deserves to be in the conversation is Dominik Hasek. Hasek only ever posted one losing NHL season. Won two Stanley Cups, multiple league championships in Europe, Olympic Gold medal, etc etc. He was a quirky guy who would disappear for long stretches due to seemingly-random injuries (sooperphreek will appreciate that). Part of his success was his unorthodox style...he would do things to stop the puck no one else was doing. Rolling onto his back to make a save on a deking shooter. Dropping his stick on a goalmouth scramble, and grabbing loose pucks with his blocker. Some of those elements have been adapted by others, but there's still never been anyone like him.

Hasek's final NHL season (with the Detroit Red Wings) read like this: 27W-10L-3T, 5 SO, 2.14 GAA, .902sv%. This was at age 42.

he was -- ALOT-- of fun to watch play,does anyone even play his style anymore ,I think not ,to bad :cry:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

Hasek used to look like a fish out of water, but he did make it work some how.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Walking Wounded wrote:Hasek used to look like a fish out of water, but he did make it work some how.

He was an entertaining goaltender to watch, as the game has continued speed up I'm not sure how well his style would do today.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:
He was an entertaining goaltender to watch, as the game has continued speed up I'm not sure how well his style would do today.

Agreed. Of course, if he played today, he'd also have the opportunity to adjust. Really, Hasek's flopping, rubber-bodied style forced shooters to raise the puck and make a perfect shot to beat him. The butterfly (which isn't a "style" anymore but is still used) does the same thing, they just take two very different routes to get there.

In some ways, I miss the varied styles of goaltending we saw up until the 2000's. Guys like Kirk McLean who stayed on their feet as much as possible, or undersized acrobats like Mike Vernon and Grant Fuhr, to the classic butterfly goalies like Patrick Roy and Felix Potvin. Now, there are some variances in technique, but they're not nearly as noticeable unless you're a goalie coach. Everyone basically plays the same way. It's necessary to succeed in hockey today but it's less fun I think.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Vancouver out-shoots Canadiens 42-21.
Price gets a shutout for a 3-0 Canadiens win.

6-0-0
GAA: 1.17
SV%: .964
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Woodenhead wrote:Vancouver out-shoots Canadiens 42-21.
Price gets a shutout for a 3-0 Canadiens win.

6-0-0
GAA: 1.17
SV%: .964

And to think, the last time I played hockey with him, I was twice the hockey player... though, it should be pointed out that I was also like twice his age, and he was 7.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So far this season Carey has not been very good at all, latest out with lower body injury.
Of course the whole team sucks so far this season.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Since the refusal to fire Therrien much earlier, then the Subban trade... I've pretty much given up on the Habs, under this management. One wrong move after another from our inept GM.
Your bias suits you.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Woodenhead wrote:Since the refusal to fire Therrien much earlier, then the Subban trade... I've pretty much given up on the Habs, under this management. One wrong move after another from our inept GM.

Yep, Carey deserve to be on a better team. Hmm.... which one
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Send him to Nashville with his pal PK. :up:
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm playing better hockey than Price these days, and I only started playing 2 years ago.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”