We Invented Jesus Christ

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
cliffy1
Übergod

Re: We Invented Jesus Christ

Post by cliffy1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 23rd, 2016, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

do not start making it personal and get back on topic please! thank you.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

fluffy wrote:I see. You'll make sure they are indoctrinated into the atheist school of thought then?

I'll play with this one Fluffy. :)

Back to the default position of not knowing about god. If we can agree that kids are born without an understanding of god... It makes sense to myself, and likely to all atheists, that teaching kids that god exists and that you are a filthy sinner that needs to be saved isn't such a healthy thing for them. I, as a father of two young kids and as an atheist, do not feel that I'm indoctrinating them into any school of thought. I'm teaching my kids to keep an open mind about things they don't understand; not to conclude that the unknown can be explained away by magic.

Also, atheist isn't a school of thought. it's a lack of belief in a god. Us atheists are not all the same and don't have a common thought, outside of not believing.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

youjustcomplain wrote:Us atheists are not all the same and don't have a common thought, outside of not believing.

That's true. The same can be said on the theist side. There's nothing in common outside of believing in something beyond the physical. Unfortunately, the small minority of extremists like the Starbucks cup boy (AKA Steven "pisseth against the wall" Anderson) on the theist side and those few atheists posting the Horus is Jesus bunk are loud and vocal, giving every normal theist and atheist a bad name. Then when confronted with their bunk, they double down as they spiral down into the abyss of perpetual stupidity. That's largely why most non-believers refuse to identify as atheists and why a significant percentage of believers try to distance themselves from religion.
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 24th, 2016, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

youjustcomplain wrote:I'm teaching my kids to keep an open mind about things they don't understand...

As it should be. Responsible parenting is about giving our children the tools to make informed decisions on their own and without selfish influence from others, including parents.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

Glacier wrote:Just the pseudoscience of the zeitgeist movies and Horus is Jesus kinda stuff instead?

While I freely admit I was hasty in adding the Horus "comparison" (when actually there isn't one to be made) to the bottom of my second message to this thread, the message itself regarding "borrowing" (or outright theft) of religious practices by christians remains intact.

I have never seen zeitgeist movies.

And yes, I am quite happy creationism has been removed by our Public Schools, aren't you?
Did you know 1 of 3 Biden voters are as dumb as the other 2? #LetsGoBrandon!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Necro wrote:While I freely admit I was hasty in adding the Horus "comparison" (when actually there isn't one to be made) to the bottom of my second message to this thread, the message itself regarding "borrowing" (or outright theft) of religious practices by christians remains intact.

I have never seen zeitgeist movies.

And yes, I am quite happy creationism has been removed by our Public Schools, aren't you?

Yes, obviously.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

fluffy wrote:I see. You'll make sure they are indoctrinated into the atheist school of thought then?

While I'm not quite sure what you are referring to when you say "atheist school of thought", I believe children should be free to make their own choice, as no-one has the right to force their beliefs on the most vulnerable of minds.

I also believe "faith" is the absence of critical thought, and we should be teaching children to question not only the physical world/universe we inhabit, but the philosophies handed down to us by notable figures in human history.

As far as your apparent need to continually move the goalposts without addressing any of my responses, or the topic at hand, I would ask for at least a modest contribution to the discussion.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Necro wrote:...I would ask for at least a modest contribution to the discussion.

I'm probably not the best person to ask for comment on the life (or not) of Jesus Christ. I view the Bible as a collection of fictional parables meant more to convey a moral lesson rather than be an accurate historical account, so it really doesn't matter if he existed or not. It's the strength of the message that matters.

It's reassuring that you give your children the right of individual choice. Should they choose a religious path, would you treat them with the same level of respect that you extend to believers on this forum?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Necro
Übergod

Post by Necro »

Nomaster wrote:Do we have evidence for a man named Jesus.

I hope you're not referring to Josephus with this comment.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 26th, 2016, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i started a thread for these. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=69606
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Jesus's tomb opened for first time in centuries

Jerusalem (AFP) - Preservation experts have opened for the first time in at least two centuries what Christians believe is Jesus's tomb inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem.

Some of the historic work was witnessed by AFP photographer Gali Tibbon who captured images of the site believed to contain the rock upon which Jesus was laid in around 33 AD as it was uncovered as part of ongoing restoration at the site.

A marble slab covering the site, among the holiest in Christianity, was pulled back for three days as part of both restoration work and archaeological analysis, experts on the scene told AFP.

It was the first time the marble had been removed since at least 1810, when the last restoration work took place following a fire, and possibly earlier, said Father Samuel Aghoyan, the church's Armenian superior.

A painting of Jesus can be seen in the narrow area above where the marble slab was removed.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jesuss-tomb- ... 34029.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Wow, people (who are convinced of oneof the world's myths) took pictures of an area where they are convinced their personal favourite myth took place.

Woo. NEWS.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

there is at least ten versions of jesus , maybe he was cloned?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”