To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Home of the traffic rant.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Post by GordonH »

Usually couple times a year I post about this, it's usually in traffic section this time I'm posting here.
I know not everyone in central Okanagan reads this forum.

So pedestrians & cyclists I ask would you please wear something reflective. To friends or relatives of pedestrians & cyclists maybe buy an early stocking stuffer, for those in your family or circle of friends.
Reason is I still come across a number of both (pedestrians & cyclists) wearing dark clothing & nothing reflective them, or on their bikes (not all cyclists, many do have reflectors or lights).

it's good to be seen in the darkness, streetlights are sometimes not enough.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: To Pedestrians & Cyclists

Post by Queen K »

Here, here!

Yes, I see so many out there at dusk and at night with no helmuts, completely encased in black clothing and no running lights on the bikes etc.

Good thread topic, maybe it should be like the "Yer an idiot" one where we say where the cyclist was and at what time.

I've got too many to list.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

GordonH wrote:Usually couple times a year I post about this, it's usually in traffic section this time I'm posting here.
I know not everyone in central Okanagan reads this forum.

So pedestrians & cyclists I ask would you please wear something reflective. To friends or relatives of pedestrians & cyclists maybe buy an early stocking stuffer, for those in your family or circle of friends.
Reason is I still come across a number of both (pedestrians & cyclists) wearing dark clothing & nothing reflective them, or on their bikes (not all cyclists, many do have reflectors or lights).

it's good to be seen in the darkness, streetlights are sometimes not enough.

Good advice but some of those folks (mainly riding BMX bikes and wearing dark hoodies) don't WANT to be seen. You know why.

It would sure be nice, however to see the helmet law enforced, riding on sidewalks, no lights at night, riding against the traffic, etc. Makes one wonder why bother making laws that the cops turn a blind eye to. Then strike them off the books if they won't enforce them. The riding at night without a light is a no-brainer. I guess thats why they do it - no brains.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

pentona wrote:Good advice but some of those folks (mainly riding BMX bikes and wearing dark hoodies) don't WANT to be seen. You know why.

It would sure be nice, however to see the helmet law enforced, riding on sidewalks, no lights at night, riding against the traffic, etc. Makes one wonder why bother making laws that the cops turn a blind eye to. Then strike them off the books if they won't enforce them. The riding at night without a light is a no-brainer. I guess thats why they do it - no brains.

I have not come across those on bmx bikes, the ones I have seen have been mountain bikes & 10 speeds.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

You'd be surprised how many motorists don't see cyclists who are wearing yellow reflective jackets and have blinking lights all around. People with none of those don't stand a chance lol.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I like the reflective clothing...gives me sumpthin to aim at.

I hate to miss anyone. :D
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

Yesterday around 5 pm, a man riding his bike down Benvoulin past KLO heading to town, no reflectors, dark clothing, ONE tiny reflective strip on his backpack. Most traffic is doing upwards of 70K past him.
Hey buddy, YOU'RE INVISIBLE!
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Wrong way.
No lights.
No reflectors.
Hoodie up.
Headphones on.
Texting with no hands on the bars.
Dark ninja-like clothing.
Running red lights and stop signs.
Crossing on a red.
Crossing the road at various random points (jayriding).
And much more.

Idiocy. You are very vulnerable. Please stop your 2-wheeled/biped stupidity.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

The drug dealer cyclists are not going to add color to he noticed .
Yesterday there was an old fart ran across the road on gordon right by a@w . First thing i thought was no wonder you hear about pedestrians getting smeared out . Then drivers have to live with it forever . Goes both ways when twit drivers run over people following the rules .
I still drive my kids everywhere . I dont want them getting killed by texters .
Strong and free
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What about women pushing strollers?

Seriously, I've counted several over the Summer and one right out on my street, all of whom have adorable children in the baby buggy and what is mom doing? Watching her cell phone. Yup. So the child is not that interesting right? So okay, what about the situation you're in?

Driveways?
Texters driving?
Crossing ally ways?
Being on corners?

Mom, are you aware of every angle and where the stroller is pointed?

Sorry, but not if you're attached to the iphone.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spooker

Post by spooker »

Covered here recently:
http://www.castanet.net/news/Grind-My-G ... -the-light

Berated a cyclist early this morning (~6:50am) who I just barely saw at Ethel & Springfield riding in dark clothing with no lights ... and then turned around and said thanks to another cyclist who had lights and a bright safety jacket on ... and while I was out on my run I had a blinking light attached to my hat and an ankle reflector ...

And here's a good video from the Surrey RCMP that catches the attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUs5ugHHXv4
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

It's not only the cyclists with no lights, etc, that cause accidents it's also the ones who ride their bikes on the sidewalk and race up behind pedestrians and either scare the you-know-what out of them or get abusive because you are in THEIR way!

Bikes are not pedestrians nor are they supposed to be on the sidewalk. A great many of the roads are marked with lines showing where the BIKE LANES ARE. And that's not down the middle of a sidewalk.

Cyclists are just like car drivers in that they can seriously injure or even kill someone by running into them on the road or sidewalk.

You were given a brain, one hopes. that you can use to make decisions that can protect not only the other people using the roads and sidewalks but yourself as well. Just because you have two wheels between your legs doesn't make you invincible.

Think about it. How would you feel if you ran into someone with your bike, knocked them to the pavement or in front of an on-coming car and they were killed?
spooker

Post by spooker »

Otter wrote:Cyclists are just like car drivers in that they can seriously injure or even kill someone by running into them on the road or sidewalk.

And yet for all the times that I see people complaining about cyclists on the sidewalk I have yet to see the numbers of accidents that seem to be foretold by this ... and the majority of the time a cyclist who is on the sidewalk is not able to go at a speed that would cause the same amount of damage as someone behind the wheel of a car ...

Otter wrote:You were given a brain, one hopes. that you can use to make decisions that can protect not only the other people using the roads and sidewalks but yourself as well. Just because you have two wheels between your legs doesn't make you invincible.

And remind the drivers out there texting on their phones the same thing ... but in their case they are encased in a metal cocoon prepared to keep them safe even if they drive into a brick wall

Otter wrote:Think about it. How would you feel if you ran into someone with your bike, knocked them to the pavement or in front of an on-coming car and they were killed?

I would be heartbroken ... but that's not why I don't ride on the sidewalk ... I ride where drivers can see me ... being visible is what will keep a cyclist safe, same as for a pedestrian ... sorry to get back on topic ;)
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

lightspeed wrote:Wrong way.
No lights.
No reflectors.
Hoodie up.
Headphones on.
Texting with no hands on the bars.
Dark ninja-like clothing.
Running red lights and stop signs.
Crossing on a red.
Crossing the road at various random points (jayriding).
And much more.

Idiocy. You are very vulnerable. Please stop your 2-wheeled/biped stupidity.

and that's just the ones on motor cycles . crazy
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Queen K wrote:What about women pushing strollers?

Seriously, I've counted several over the Summer and one right out on my street, all of whom have adorable children in the baby buggy and what is mom doing? Watching her cell phone. Yup. So the child is not that interesting right? So okay, what about the situation you're in?

Driveways?
Texters driving?
Crossing ally ways?
Being on corners?

Mom, are you aware of every angle and where the stroller is pointed?

Sorry, but not if you're attached to the iphone.

This is a good one.........now that you have mentioned it. Where I live........the land of stay at home, bored out of their
:cuss: minds mom's. You are absolutely right........cell phone is glued to their face. I wouldn't doubt if some left the house with a stroller and forgot the baby. Add to that the "fitness nut job, do not want to work house wives"........$300.00 of Lululemon spandex, $200.00 runners and they WALK around the development glued to their phones and ear buds........oblivious to the surroundings..........but they are getting in shape!
Last edited by ferri on Nov 29th, 2016, 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: word censor workaround

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”