Penticton Hospital's Dreadful Reputation

totoramona
Board Meister

Penticton Hospital's Dreadful Reputation

Post by totoramona »

I am not surprised in the least about the lawsuit brought forward against IHA by this Summerland man :
http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ior-Health

Having spent recent weeks in the Penticton Hospital, I have seen shocking and dangerous situations I never thought possible. In my own experience over many encounters at the hospital, none have ever been good and when speaking with friends and family, I never hear anything but horror stories about this hospital and staff. I have actually made a pact with myself that the next time I need hospital attention, I will drive to Kelowna.

All of the excitement and anticipation about the new Patient Tower won't make an iota of difference when the administration and staff at Penticton Hospital are so complacent about the incompetence within their walls. These problems stem from the top down. Here's to hoping that this lawsuit will make a difference.
pentona
Übergod

Re: Penticton Hospital's Dreadful Reputation

Post by pentona »

totoramona wrote:I am not surprised in the least about the lawsuit brought forward against IHA by this Summerland man :
http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ior-Health

Having spent recent weeks in the Penticton Hospital, I have seen shocking and dangerous situations I never thought possible. In my own experience over many encounters at the hospital, none have ever been good and when speaking with friends and family, I never hear anything but horror stories about this hospital and staff. I have actually made a pact with myself that the next time I need hospital attention, I will drive to Kelowna.

All of the excitement and anticipation about the new Patient Tower won't make an iota of difference when the administration and staff at Penticton Hospital are so complacent about the incompetence within their walls. These problems stem from the top down. Here's to hoping that this lawsuit will make a difference.

My own personal experiences in PRH have been the complete opposite. I found the staff, conditions, food, etc, etc all very very good. Others have also commented in past just how great our hospital is. No desire to ever go to KGH; was there once; twas not a nice experience. Each to their own opinion.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm wondering how this could have been prevented, strap him down to his bed? Post a 24 hr guard?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

Article does not elaborate on details. Did patient require supervision and assistance walking? Was he able to ask for it? Did he ask for it and not get it? Did he trip on an obstacle and so on...

Most patients have their unique expectations, needs and opinions of their experience.

Friends and myself have had no complaints about the actual care from hospital health staff.

Complaints have been more about the meals, general cleanliness, run down condition, design and cramped conditions of the old building. Having to room with patients of the opposite sex and sometimes with patients with dementia who disrupt other patients in the room is another complaint.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

fluffy wrote:I'm wondering how this could have been prevented, strap him down to his bed? Post a 24 hr guard?

There aren't a lot of details being provided about this particular case; however, falls in general are prevented in many different ways. Call bells should be within reach and answered in a timely way. Bed alarms should be set and responded to immediately. Bed rails can be raised and beds kept in lowest position. Walking aids should be placed within an arms reach of the bed. Patients' should be checked on frequently and needs should be assessed and met. Any deficiencies in these areas will contribute to patients attempting to do more than they should to meet their own needs. Patients with dementia may forget what their injuries or particular disabilities are.

As I said, in my recent lengthy stay in hospital, I witnessed all of these deficiencies on a regular basis. I witnessed other patients up and walking around, putting themselves in jeopardy, as a direct result of these deficiencies. I even notified nurses of surgery patients walking without aid, and received the response, "oh, I am not on right now, I will have to find her nurse." Yeah, because having the right nurse help her to her bed is more important than immediately helping her from a potential fall. Sheesh.....
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

totoramona wrote:
There aren't a lot of details being provided about this particular case

That's the only thing accurate you have posted......the rest is pure conjecture and your personal opinion. I look at that news story and see a frivolous lawsuit by someone that in his "weakened state" should not have even attempted to get up without requesting assistance. I also see this as a waste of dollars now having to be expended on a frivolous lawsuit he will surely lose rather than spent on real medical care for all patients. Now a bevy of $300/hr lawyers are going to rob funds from actual patient care. I would also bet that this lawsuit was spawned by some indignant and litigious relative with an entitlement complex and guilt over their own neglect of the man rather than the 85 yr old himself. I say that cuz if he was competent enough to file a lawsuit, he should have been competent enough to know he needed assistance in mobility and asked for help.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

twobits wrote:That's the only thing accurate you have posted......the rest is pure conjecture and your personal opinion. I look at that news story and see a frivolous lawsuit by someone that in his "weakened state" should not have even attempted to get up without requesting assistance. I also see this as a waste of dollars now having to be expended on a frivolous lawsuit he will surely lose rather than spent on real medical care for all patients. Now a bevy of $300/hr lawyers are going to rob funds from actual patient care. I would also bet that this lawsuit was spawned by some indignant and litigious relative with an entitlement complex and guilt over their own neglect of the man rather than the 85 yr old himself. I say that cuz if he was competent enough to file a lawsuit, he should have been competent enough to know he needed assistance in mobility and asked for help.

What do you mean pure conjecture and opinion? I am not presuming to know anything about this case. The only opinion I have on this case is that I am glad it is being brought forward and I hope the hospital will make changes because of it.

The comments I made about fall risk are "nursing 101". Look it up if you want. To prevent falls, you limit risk. Pretty clear. Any deficiency in limiting risk will increase falls.

I saw these deficiencies first hand. I witnessed bed alarms not set, call bells not answered, weakened patients attempting to get out of bed, then walking around trying to get to the bathroom or looking for help. I have no idea what happened in the case being brought forward, but I saw failures in the nursing staff at PRH with my own to eyes.

As far as the 85 year old's competence, if the man does have dementia, it would explain his failure to evaluate his own needs as far as assistance, but it does NOT negate his entitlement to proper care in the hospital or his right to sue for damages. Surely you are not suggesting otherwise.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

It will never see a courtroom.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Maybe, maybe not. A settlement is likely.
But at least it is drawing attention to the circumstances at PRH. A new Tower won't correct the very serious issues at that hospital. Too many mistakes, too much arrogance and too little accountability.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I've had 4 fantastic life altering experiences at PRH that I wouldn't change for the world. 2 of my happiest and two of my saddest times. The staff there was incredible to me and my family.
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

I have nothing but praises for the PRH, and honestly can't say I personally know anyhow that has any complaints.

As for the article, check this part out....

"The lawsuit is claiming damages for pain and suffering, healthcare costs and a trust award for his son for the care he provided following the fall."

A trust award for the son??? My guess is the son helped his dad file the suit. :biggrin:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

0gopogo wrote:I have nothing but praises for the PRH, and honestly can't say I personally know anyhow that has any complaints.

As for the article, check this part out....

"The lawsuit is claiming damages for pain and suffering, healthcare costs and a trust award for his son for the care he provided following the fall."

A trust award for the son??? My guess is the son helped his dad file the suit. :biggrin:

Ain't that amazing? And no, we don't have a perfect medical system but it is still in the top ten percentile in the entire world despite it's flaws. Chit like this and the people that whine about it really need a reality check and a need to realize how blessed they are in the care we receive instead of ranting about the flaws and try to paint a picture of third world medical care.
Most of the world has family members that step up to the plate and provide for their elders. Here for some reason, some members of our society think you drop them off at a facility and not only have they dumped the care they could have provided family, the taxpayer is now liable for the level of care they THINK should be provided. Pure unrealistic entitlement syndrome from those that have some kind of altruistic notion of "perfect healthcare" and an endless pot of money to pay for it.
Sorry Toto, but I and many others are great full for the level of care provided. If you are so jaded about the level of care here, I would suggest you check yourself and family members when in need in a Hospital in Washington State. There you will receive the same level of care as here and you will get a bill that might make you realize how blessed we are with (according to you), with our terrible health care system.
BTW, Toto......this will never see a courtroom not because of settlement, but because the Gov't will waste huge tax dollars that could be spent on patient care just to fight a son looking to collect a trust payment for looking after his dad because of the dangerous precedent it would set. People like this mans son need to be stepped on and squashed.

totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

Twobits... you always take things too far... "terrible healthcare system??" No one is saying that. "Stepped on and squashed??" What?
Reframing things into a global view or a black and white scenario is easy when it isn't your family member or friend who has been hurt. There is such a thing as a reasonable level of expectation or care in our society. There is a thing called "malpractice" and every doctor and hospital has insurance for it because mistakes happen. Incompetence occurs.

I am happy some of you received excellent care at PRH. That's good to hear. My experiences have been different and it isn't because I am a whiner. And I have heard many other horror stories. I am also truly grateful for Canada's healthcare system. That does NOT mean any of us should put up with bad policies, poor training, or incompetence. In fact, we do a disservice to our system in general when we are complacent with poor quality! We shouldn't feel bad for pointing out where and when things are going wrong.

I am family/friends with a mother who brought her daughter to PRH ER no less than ten times in two weeks and was sent home each time, finally being admitted, then doctors were unable to diagnose, but arrogantly refused to send her on to Children's Hospital until her very life was in peril. She was sent down by air ambulance where she was diagnosed and successfully treated. The mother spoke out and challenged PRH policies, it made the news and PRH made ER changes as a result.

This is just one of the examples from my own experience that causes me to believe PRH has more problems than other hospitals. I have had stays at both Children's and St. Pauls and the quality in those hospitals is far better. Of course I am grateful for our medical system in Canada. I also believe vigilance against inferior care is needed. "Stepping on and squashing" dissident voices won't make anything better.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I have had several great experiences at PRH...including one of my children being born there and having to watch a family member pass on over several days.
Excellent, caring staff who maintained a professional, yet compassionate, demeanor throughout both events.

I have heard horror stories about KGH as well.
People being left in hallways...epic long waits in Emergency, and indifferent staff.

Remember this?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/parking-lot-not-close-enough-for-b-c-hospital-staff-1.522765
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

After experiencing a brain aneurysm my Mom spent a couple months in Penticton hospital after 3 months in KGH ICU. She managed to escape a locked ward and showed up at her front door in her gown and IV stand in hand. :D Other than that she had great treatment though until she recovered enough to return home with permission.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “South Okanagan”