Religion and society

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Religion and society

Post by w84u2 »

zzontar wrote:
w84u2 wrote:WOW! Talk about 2 + 2 = 32,834. Way to extrapolate and digress so far out to left field that is beyond comprehension of even the most devoted of the conspiracy theorists.

Just because things are beyond your comprehension doesn't mean no one else will get it. (In fact, many do :get it") I'm pretty sure most people realize that with no religion there would just be other excuses to have a war, it doesn't necessarily mean you will realize it though.

I believe that most, if not all Castanet readers, that are reading this forum can FULLY comprehend what I am saying and eluding to, even if you don't. I carefully worded my comment to ensure that my point/s were understood by all.

If the above noted poster is unable to comprehend my meaning and sentiments.....oh well.....that is not a surprise.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Keep this on topic and don't turn it into personal attacks
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

... not just personal attacks, don't forget about changing someone's quote. : )

doesn't mean no one else will get it. (In fact, many do :get it")
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

w84u2 wrote:
I believe that most, if not all Castanet readers, that are reading this forum can FULLY comprehend what I am saying and eluding to, even if you don't. I carefully worded my comment to ensure that my point/s were understood by all.

If the above noted poster is unable to comprehend my meaning and sentiments.....oh well.....that is not a surprise.

Here's an idea... I'm saying I think there's be wars without religion, you never agreed or disagreed but felt compelled to post. What is your view on it?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

zzontar wrote:Here's an idea... I'm saying I think there's be wars without religion, you never agreed or disagreed but felt compelled to post. What is your view on it?

People keep using the term "religion" like all religions are equal. I can tell you this that Mormons and Amish are far less violent and far less likely to cause wars than the average non-religious person. Now, the same cannot be said for all religious, and especially one known as the religion of peace, but even within Islam there are very peaceful sects like the Ahmadiyyas who are probably more peaceful than the average Canadian.

So yes, some religions preach violence against unbelievers, but many other religions preach for the end of violence against others. When you add it all up, there are probably fewer wars and conflicts with religion than without it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

mormons slaughtered people like sheep not to mention being wanted in most states for being con artists . just want make sure people know the mornons real past . :smt045
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Frisk wrote:Do we / did we need religion to build a moral society?

Definition of Religion: A huge group of people.
Definition of church: Small group of people
Definition of Christian" One person

Religion is a 100% scam.
Church can do some good or bad things.
Christian can be a moral person. A Christian can also be the crookedest rat you ever saw.

So to answer the question, we don't need nothing to be a moral society, because it's not going to ever happen.
Even Jesus said no one is good. He was wrong. Some people are good.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

No one is 100% good. Not even Thinktank. No one (or at least close to no one) is 100% evil. Even Thinktank.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

think there truly are good people no matter back ground . thats un debatble . but all humans are animals and humans so far have over time proved to be warring and parasitic on the earth itself .

as far as faith i think that it has made some folks lead better life in my opinion . it has been used to change folks outlook on being a fellow respectable neighbour . but i also agree that without faith humans would still beieve in same good ideas .
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

maryjane48 wrote:think there truly are good people no matter back ground . thats un debatble . but all humans are animals and humans so far have over time proved to be warring and parasitic on the earth itself .

as far as faith i think that it has made some folks lead better life in my opinion . it has been used to change folks outlook on being a fellow respectable neighbour . but i also agree that without faith humans would still beieve in same good ideas .

Sorry, undebatable that there are truly good people or that you think there are truly good people? I wouldn't dare argue your thoughts, but whether or not people are good IS up for debate.

Yes, humans are animals. Yes, humans engage in war. Humans being parasites is a bit off topic, but I'll grant that to you. :)

However, I don't see any proof that faith has made people lead a better life. I suspect those people would have lead a good life with or without their faith. In the same way that war would happen with or without religion. However, the important distinction here is that many people have died in wars because of religion. Take away the religion and the war may or may not have still happened. There is no way to know. How many wars have occurred because of two completely non religious groups BECAUSE of their lack of religion?

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”