Mary Kills People

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Mary Kills People

Post by Queen K »

Airing tonight at 9 PST. About a beautiful Dr. who is tall and good looking who happens to find it in her heart to help people end suffering. You know they're going to go into all the pros and cons right, and emotionally string you along.

Six part series.

How do we explain it to the kids when they see the nurse in Ontario being charged for eight murders by injecting her patients with insulin overdoses?

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... mpany-says

Do we say, well Mary Kills People is just a show to emotionally tug us around the issue of suffering and quality of life?
And the nurse was just, well, killing people, no context.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Mary Kills People

Post by Always Sunny »

Euthanasia and murder are quite obviously two very different things.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If that's all I was concerned about this would be the shortest thread ever.

Show's on now, gotta go see how it starts.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Well if people can't/don't want to explain assisted suicide to their kidlet's, maybe they shouldnt let them watch it??
hail Satan y'all
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Turns out it's very complex. No spoilers though. For the bargin fee of $10,000 they save you $20,000 from going to Switzerland though.

Good point Whatwhat, and who says every parent knows what their kid is watching?
Sleepstalker

Post by Sleepstalker »

My thanks to Queen K for starting this off. I was going to do the same thing yesterday but got distracted by something .This can be a prickly subject for some folks and I think it will be interesting to see different viewpoints on the subject.
I believe the if a persons life is full of constant pain and their quality of life has been degraded to the point of despair , having no light at all at the end of the tunnel. One should be able to arrange a graceful and dignified exit. However I think that there is a large difference between the plight of the terminally ill and the plight of a person driven to suicide through social embarrassment or some other type of destructive pressure. In either situation help is needed.
It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove *all doubt*
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Queen K wrote: Good point Whatwhat, and who says every parent knows what their kid is watching?

Well I guess life might be a little different now, but I figure most parents have some control over what their children watches until a certain age. I'd hope younger children, who parent's don't feel comfortable enough having them watch certain shows, wouldn't have the freedom and independence to choose their own TV programs. And if they do have that freedom, such as a TV in their bedroom, the parent's kind of have to face the fact that their children may watch something they may not truly understand and they will have to do some parenting when asked questions about it.

As for the TV show itself, I have seen the previews for it but didn't have much interest in watching it personally. But I do support assisted suicide even though it is a slippery topic and would be interesting to see how/if a TV show would cover those topics.
hail Satan y'all
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I would have no problem explaining assisted suicide to a child.
A health worker just secretly putting people down, without the proper procedures, is obviously murder.
So what is needed is a proper protocol for how and when, and who is to do it.
It's really only very complex when the person involved suffers from some mental condition where they may not be competent to decide. Not every suicidal person is beyond help or even wants to die. Are our medical services really dealing adequately with people's health problems for starters. I've had extreme pain at times, and I can honestly say, I wouldn't last long with it, if it didn't ease up before too long.
If we refuse to house and feed the homeless, is that just a form of assisted suicide?
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

If i'm suffering from terminal illness i don't want to suffer. If i end up a vegetable i don't want to suffer. I think people who are suffering have the right to a choice. If they chose to no longer suffer that is their choice.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The whole reason the producers on Mary Kills People insist that the patient drinks the liquid is so that they have made their own choice. Mary and her partner are the conduits to that liquid. The fact that they have to sneak around, and the entire title of the show, that MARY herself kills people is misleading if you go by the dialogue on the show.

Five more episodes left.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

TheBoss wrote:If i'm suffering from terminal illness i don't want to suffer. If i end up a vegetable i don't want to suffer. I think people who are suffering have the right to a choice. If they chose to no longer suffer that is their choice.

The issue is not the denial of that choice, but the legality of a medical professional assisting with that process.

I agree with you though, I'm generally in favour of removing the barriers that prevent this.

For me the water gets muddy though if we get to the point where physicians are recommending this route.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

easy one for me your life your choice
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#187340

And what were these nurses doing with the stolen fentanyl?

In Mary Kills People, her accomplice procurs the drug from a dealer, who is on to him and hates liars. Next five episodes should be great.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I tried to watch it last night, but soon fell asleep, guess it wasn't that interesting. Then when I woke up it was a bunch of commercials and I lost patience waiting for program to recommence, so I shut it down and went to bed. Hope I didn't miss anything too critical. I don't think most people have to worry about their kidlets watching programs that late at night, most are in bed by that time I think.
spooker

Post by spooker »

I'll be waiting for episode 2 ... while I saw some plot holes and the foreshadowing was a little obvious at times it was entertaining enough to see where it goes ... gotta have something to fill up the days between Cardinal ...

Return to “Social Concerns”