Do restaurants make food from scratch any more?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Do restaurants make food from scratch any more?

Post by Bpeep »

Tootsie wrote:WOW! Queen K ! The Stetson Motel ! Flash from the past or what !!!!!!!

Did that place at one time have a Chinese restaurant attached to it? I seem to remember that for some reason. And the most surly old waitress delivering our order !

That surly old waitress was Queenie.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hardly, I was in grade 11 at the time. [icon_lol2.gif]
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Queen K wrote:Hardly, I was in grade 11 at the time. [icon_lol2.gif]

:spitcoffee: :spitcoffee: :spitcoffee:
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

w84u2 wrote:

:spitcoffee: :spitcoffee: :spitcoffee:

Yeah .......me too.........
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Working at the Stetson in 1981 was my first job, paid $3.50/hour and the owner very carefully let those of us earning $3.50 an hour that we were getting 0.25 cents more than was legally required to keep us kitchen prep staff/dishwasher/bottlewashers employed. I think all teens should work in a restaurant for at least one month, min. to keep them humble when being a patron to any restaurant. And Yes, I was in grade 11. Good times.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

So you worked there for what, five years. :topic:
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You and W84, to the corner. :admin:
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

so the french fries - in restaurants like Whitespot - the two star ones - do they come already prepared from Ontario with three different preservatives on them?

Bread that you get in better restaurants like Swiss Chalet - does it come from a bakery in town, is it baked right there, or does it come frozen from far away?

How does it work?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Thinktank wrote:so the french fries - in restaurants like Whitespot - the two star ones - do they come already prepared from Ontario with three different preservatives on them?

Bread that you get in better restaurants like Swiss Chalet - does it come from a bakery in town, is it baked right there, or does it come frozen from far away?

How does it work?

My personal opinion is if I am going to a chain restaurant probably nothing will be that fresh, local or scratch made.

When it comes to chains they want and need to keep consistency between all stores, and having different menus and products doesn't help that. So premade products tend to help keep food consistent and tasting the same no matter where you eat. Unfortunately, that is something the consumer is looking for.
hail Satan y'all
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

Tootsie wrote:YES....you're right! Did it have a Chinese restaurant attached to it? Do you recall ?

Empress Gardens was the Chinese food restaurant. Both my wife and I went there as children with our parents and was a treat!
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It depends what you mean by made from scratch. Most restaurants regardless of whether they're a chain or a high-end restaurant will use fresh produce.

To answer your question about White Spot fries, they source their fresh potatoes from BC growers, only use Kennebec variety, and prepare them inhouse. They also run a promo in the summer with BC blueberries and make their signature pies inhouse using fresh, not frozen, berries. They're a great supporter of BC growers.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

The last place in Kelowna that was "made from fresh" was the.......Fish and Chips shack on Sutherland, behind extra foods. (I forget the name....sorry.....). I don't know about the Burger Baron in Rutland, but they are still as close to as fresh as I am aware of. (okay, maybe not, but they are still worthy of an honourable mention) and as close as it gets to "ol' fashioned" as I remember it.
Sorry, it's near supper-time, I am hungry and I digress.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

There are a ton of from scratch kitchens in Kelowna. Some of my favs are Raudz, Bouchon's, BNA, and Mamma Rosa (mmmmm).
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

w84u2 wrote:The last place in Kelowna that was "made from fresh" was the.......Fish and Chips shack on Sutherland, behind extra foods. (I forget the name....sorry.....). I don't know about the Burger Baron in Rutland, but they are still as close to as fresh as I am aware of. (okay, maybe not, but they are still worthy of an honourable mention) and as close as it gets to "ol' fashioned" as I remember it.
Sorry, it's near supper-time, I am hungry and I digress.

Shady Rest on Sutherland is a landmark totally the best grease in Kelowna :biggrin: I cant sit still when eating the prawns!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Burger Baron, where I have not gone in 5 years (they burnt the patties, fries and buns) was completely disappointing. EVERYTHING was out of a frozen bag.........fries, meat patties. That pretty much covers the menu. If there was a time it WAS fresh, I was not familiar with it.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”