Bumper cars on icy roads

Home of the traffic rant.
Whyme2
Übergod

Re: Bumper cars on icy roads

Post by Whyme2 »

Noisy Boater wrote:As a part time highways plow operator Hwy conditions were good considering the behavior of most Okanagan drivers. If you only were able to ride around for a nite you would sing a different tune. You do not have a clue.

Maybe being "Part Time" is the problem. :smt045
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've been out and about all over town the last couple of days and got to where I was going with no problem and no white knuckles.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Whyme2 wrote:
Maybe being "Part Time" is the problem. :smt045

They complain about the job not being done, then when the city hires additional help part time.... they still complain...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: They complain about the job not being done, then when the city hires additional help part time.... they still complain...

My observation this snow fall, is the main roads could be better. I feel when you look at Glenmore being one of the high volume roads it could have had more attention. The turning lanes appeared to be overlooked. I personally had not trouble, however witnessed a number of vehicles in trouble. Fortunately, no-one was involved.

Glenmore and Kane is a high incident accident location, even with dry roads. I feel they should focus on the main roads, my little side street, just for JWs racing, that is not so necessary.

Over all, not bad but not great road care here in Kelowna.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Always funny to read these threads when you know a CoK plower.

Everyone's a expert.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I have been part time for 12 yrs now. I have a day job. This just makes me my Mexico vacation money. :smt045
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Fancy wrote:I've been out and about all over town the last couple of days and got to where I was going with no problem and no white knuckles.

Same. Way too much drama in Kelowna.

- turn your lights on
- slow down
- keep more space around your vehicle
- leave early
- allow more time
- winter tires
- cut down the unnecessary trips
- fewer trips to Starbucks
- stay home
- anticipate stupidity, and people who do none of the above
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I was chatting with a neighbor who admitted he was just over the bridge and heading up the hill doing 95km/hr. Thought he would test how good his winters were!?!?!?!? Nothing you can say about something so dumb.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

just dropped off the wife at work, i did some driving on harvey ave and springfield, untouched by snow plows , ok maybe just a little what a joke
this town is :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
eires37
Banned

Post by eires37 »

the truth wrote:just dropped off the wife at work, i did some driving on harvey ave and springfield, untouched by snow plows ,what a joke

I drove in from Revelstoke in a fully loaded Super B last night, seen 1 sanding truck out over the entire journey. Tanker truck stopped on hill in Vernon, right across from hospital - not sure if he was broken down or chaining up. I barely got around him, spinning out and having trouble getting traction. Even through Winfield truck was struggling to maintain traction, feathering the throttle was the only way to maintain traction.

The crew that maintains the Crowsnest Highway is one of the best crews and could teach them all how its done.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Its typical winter driving and snowclearing efforts..
However some folks get bent, EVERY year, when their personal route, does not get cleaned up perfectly with a bricklayers trowel.. Ooohhh snow on my route..lets start a thread about it..
Doesnt much matter, they are going to start a thread about something..anyway...

Sure wish I knew what they did for work...it must be to the HIGHEST level of Perfection attainable... Is the impression I keep getting.
Oh well , no sense in missing a year...complaining about the snowclearing efforts..

I'm not sure why they need to have snow clearing. Reading these threads, sounds like we have a lot of really skillful drivers in this city.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lightspeed wrote:Same. Way too much drama in Kelowna.

- turn your lights on
- slow down
- keep more space around your vehicle
- leave early
- allow more time
- winter tires
- cut down the unnecessary trips
- fewer trips to Starbucks
- stay home
- anticipate stupidity, and people who do none of the above

You forgot to say "PLEASE SIGNAL" If you are turning right the vehicle traveling towards you or to the right also might have a safe opportunity to turn. IT is common sense I know, but I can't read your mind.

I drive Summit many times a week. It never fails someone tuning off Dilworth will wait and the last 50 feet signal to make the turn. Traffic flows so much better is you drive signalling your intentions. The people who live on Lillooet Drive seem to be the most inconsiderate, blowing stop signs instead of waiting for you to pass by, cutting you off to make their left hand turn....
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

We're Canadian. It's Winter. It snows.
That being said, proper winter tires make all the difference in the world, and they don't have to cost a fortune. I discovered a guy in Glenmore who sells used winters on Castanet with free mounting/balance. We got two sets from him and haven't looked back. He does a good job, works out of his backyard shop.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

the truth wrote:just dropped off the wife at work, i did some driving on harvey ave and springfield, untouched by snow plows , ok maybe just a little what a joke

Maybe you should call the city and then Argo let them know where you are off to today and they could plow and sand only minutes before you go out.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

ShannonG wrote:We're Canadian. It's Winter. It snows.
That being said, proper winter tires make all the difference in the world, and they don't have to cost a fortune. I discovered a guy in Glenmore who sells used winters on Castanet with free mounting/balance. We got two sets from him and haven't looked back. He does a good job, works out of his backyard shop.

We have 4 - 1 yr old winters on rims 4x100 bolt pattern off a VW golf. On Castanet classifieds seller is mck.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”