The cure for mental illness

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

The cure for mental illness

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/18 ... al-illness at least this dr has it right, it's all about most doctor's giving out pills so big pharma gets its $$$$$$$,eat well , and exercize ,yes people take care of yourselves-wow :200: ,stop looking for the quick fix all the time a pill
Last edited by the truth on Feb 19th, 2017, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Triple 6

Re: The cure for mental illness

Post by Triple 6 »

if it was only that simple for some.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Truth;

Wow, this is something new. I agree. :200:

I'm sure some mental (physical) disorders are a direct result of the vast amount of pills ingested over
periods of time.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

We're creating an industry that expands exponentially.

So many tags and labels. Everyone wants a mental illness. Nervous kids now have social anxiety disorders. Shy introverted kids now have some anxiety or the other. Disorganized kids have one sort of disorder, and organized super tidy kids are now OCD.

So many labels. I gotta get mine! Maybe get me some filled up pill boxes and a dozen new excuses.

The less we label, stigmatize, and compartmentalize people with "character", the more relaxed and comfortable people will be about their own selves and their uniqueness.

Stop feeding big pharma, less visits to the doctor, less hang ups, and improved self confidence.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

lightspeed wrote:{snip}
We're creating an industry
The less we label, stigmatize, and compartmentalize people with "character", the more relaxed and comfortable people will be about their own selves and their uniqueness.

Those are the best words in your post.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My friends with schizophrenia & those with bipolar, will happy to hear The Truth has a cure.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i just posted a link that's all
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:My friends with schizophrenia & those with bipolar, will happy to hear The Truth has a cure.

i think this article was more about depression,anxiety and stuff than ,schizophrenia and bipolar , imo when people suffer a lose, whatever it may be , it is better to grieve -yes it can be healthy-- to grieve --- instead of taking meds to suppress feelings or not wanting to feel ,

too many people have no clue how these meds f up your brain chemistry,

https://www.madinamerica.com/2012/09/th ... pressants/
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:My friends with schizophrenia & those with bipolar, will happy to hear The Truth has a cure.

the truth wrote:i think this article was more about depression,anxiety and stuff than ,schizophrenia and bipolar , imo when people suffer a lose, whatever it may be , it is better to grieve -yes it can be healthy-- to grieve --- instead of taking meds to suppress feelings or not wanting to feel ,

too many people have no clue how these meds f up your brain chemistry,

https://www.madinamerica.com/2012/09/th ... pressants/

Maybe you should then change the title of this thread, since mental illness incorporates so very many
http://mental-health-matters.com/psycho ... disorders/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I know people who experienced a few panic attacks (never considering that the large amounts of coffee, energy drinks and crap diet that they enjoy might play a role) going to the doc to only be given a prescription for a Benzo in a heartbeat...

fast forward a few yrs and now they are depend on them (ask someone who's detoxed off Benzo's how pleasant that experience is) they gained large amounts of weight, they fight with everyone in their life, they expect their loved ones and friends to "understand" their constant often mean mood swings...can't see how it improved their lifes much...

I actually know one person who now takes 20 pills daily for her anxiety BUT her husband gets to claim her anxiety as a disability and receives a tax refund of close to $1500 per yr for her...

if there's another option, just try it first before popping a pill thinking it's gonna get better because of them...cause sometimes it does not...

and no, this does not include serious mental illness issues...
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I think one important thing to keep in mind is that these psychological issues that people are being diagnosed with now aren't "new," in the sense that they just started happening. They've existed for a very long time, but only recently have been able to be diagnosed properly. For example, there's various degrees and levels of depression and anxiety.

I think that's important, because 20 years ago, these still existed, but people either weren't provided any treatment at all, and had a very difficult time coping, or they were misdiagnosed and didn't receive the best treatment possible.

As far as drugs as treatment, I can't provide any opinion on that because I simply don't know enough about it. I can say that I've personally known people on treatments that ranged from very positive changes to very negative ones, but that's pretty much it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

W105 wrote:I actually know one person who now takes 20 pills daily for her anxiety BUT her husband gets to claim her anxiety as a disability and receives a tax refund of close to $1500 per yr for her...

Yes, because anxiety can be disabling for some people. People with severe anxiety issues can qualify for BC Disability and I'm sure Disability in other provinces as well. It depends how debilitating it is.

W105 wrote:and no, this does not include serious mental illness issues...

Except that anxiety is a serious mental health issue. I'm not sure why people are downplaying it. There's a difference between a person experiencing normal levels of anxiety and a disorder, but when it reaches disorder status it's extremely serious.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

the truth wrote:i just posted a link that's all

Add threw in your $.02, to which some take issue with.

Everybody is welcome to their opinion, and there is an element of "fix in a bottle" out there, but that only scratches the surface..

I mostly disagree with the jist of your comments in the opening post, but I respect that more than people who just post links to controversial topics and sit back and watch the fireworks without weighing in.
On a different forum
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

FreeRights wrote:I think one important thing to keep in mind is that these psychological issues that people are being diagnosed with now aren't "new," in the sense that they just started happening. They've existed for a very long time, but only recently have been able to be diagnosed properly. For example, there's various degrees and levels of depression and anxiety.

I think that's important, because 20 years ago, these still existed, but people either weren't provided any treatment at all, and had a very difficult time coping, or they were misdiagnosed and didn't receive the best treatment possible.

As far as drugs as treatment, I can't provide any opinion on that because I simply don't know enough about it. I can say that I've personally known people on treatments that ranged from very positive changes to very negative ones, but that's pretty much it.

A lot of the meds being used were actually developed for other issues, so its trial by error to find combination that works. Unfortunately the person needing the help goes threw hell to find that combination.
I am talking about the 2 illnesses I mentioned earlier.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
Except that anxiety is a serious mental health issue. I'm not sure why people are downplaying it. There's a difference between a person experiencing normal levels of anxiety and a disorder, but when it reaches disorder status it's extremely serious.

You are exactly right. The same can be said about depression. There is a big difference between people feeling sad or a little down for a few days over something that happened in their life, and people who have been diagnosed with a major depression disorder. The two are not even close to being the same and require different approaches.

In regards to prescribed meds, there absolutely is a need for them with many diagnosis's. Sometimes they can be prescribed to people in the short term to help them move forward, and other times a much longer time for those diagnosed with a mental illness. That being said, people need to know what they are prescribed, research it, and fully understand what it can and cannot do, and most of all, it's side effects and interactions with other drugs. It's also good to incorporate natural things into your life to help, like exercising, eating and drinking right, practicing mindfulness, going to therapy etc. Depending on how one is effected though, even that can be a challenge some days.

Are many of us being prescribed to many meds though? Yes, many of us are, which is why it's important for us to take an active roll in our own healing (when we can) and work in partnership with our Doctors.

Return to “Social Concerns”