NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: NHL

Post by GordonH »

Knowing Hometown Hockey is in Cranbrook, figure I'd watch Toronto at Carolina (don't watch anywhere near as much NHL games as I once did).
This is what attendance is like in many of the southern NHL teams home buildings, its amazing the owners can break even.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:200:

5 Vancouver Canucks players sidelined due to mumps outbreak

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3998731
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

ferri wrote::200:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3998731

Since they are on the outside looking in, little chance of making the playoffs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

More mumps.

http://www.castanet.net/news/WHL/189932/Mumps-hit-WHL

I feel so sorry for these guys. Mumps are miserable. And when you are past puberty it's really bad.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

A disappointing season for the Canucks gets even worse, as minor league reinforcements arrive to replace the isolated players.

With consensus 1st overall pick Nolan Patrick looking like a possibility in Vancouver, a new slogan has been suggested:

Swollen for Nolan.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd wrote:A disappointing season for the Canucks gets even worse, as minor league reinforcements arrive to replace the isolated players.

With consensus 1st overall pick Nolan Patrick looking like a possibility in Vancouver, a new slogan has been suggested:

Swollen for Nolan.

Yep.... they should have did the complete rebuild i.e Toronto (of course no one could predict Mumps though)

Now Jim has been asking player with NTC's to consider waving them and teams of their choice.

Added: curious thing though on the Mumps thing Canucks & now WHL Medicine Hat Tigers Hmmm.... if I did not know better, something has it out for Trevor. lol
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

JayByrd wrote:A disappointing season for the Canucks gets even worse, as minor league reinforcements arrive to replace the isolated players.

Swollen for Nolan.

:spitcoffee:
That's the worst slogan, especially if people around you didn't know about the Canucks having the mumps. :biggrin:
Last edited by Poindexter on Feb 25th, 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:
Yep.... they should have did the complete rebuild i.e Toronto (of course no one could predict Mumps though)

Now Jim has been asking player with NTC's to consider waving them and teams of their choice.

Added: curious thing though on the Mumps thing Canucks & now WHL Medicine Hat Tigers Hmmm.... if I did not know better, something has it out for Trevor. lol

Was actually getting a little concerned before the all star break when the Canucks were creeping into playoff spot. Now Benning's can hopefully pull tell trigger for some youth or picks instead of whiffing at the deadline like last year.

Tottally agree with you Gordon, the only way to get better at this point is to draft a better team. Free agents may keep a team somewhat competitive but can't build a cup winner that way.

Interesting about two teams, wonder if they share medical equipment or staff that could have been in contact with both team's players.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Very quiet lead up to trade deadline this year, either next 4 days will remain quiet or Wednesday will be mad house of trades.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Was actually getting a little concerned before the all star break when the Canucks were creeping into playoff spot. Now Benning's can hopefully pull tell trigger for some youth or picks instead of whiffing at the deadline like last year.

Tottally agree with you Gordon, the only way to get better at this point is to draft a better team. Free agents may keep a team somewhat competitive but can't build a cup winner that way.

Interesting about two teams, wonder if they share medical equipment or staff that could have been in contact with both team's players.

impo Vancouver needs to get away from NTC/NMC because it handcuffs management & the coach, sometime players need to be kept on there toes. If you are adding to the team, maybe its time for a change... with those clauses nothing can happen.
In case of twins it would be retirement since no team will take them both, way to big of a cap hit.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

ferri wrote::200:

[icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif]

they all had their shots. I read it in the Province today.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Maybe just bench any player not wanting to wave no trade. Sooner or later they'll want to play.

Speaking of contract missteps, how huge a mistake was it not to sign Horvat to an extension prior to his all-start season? Doh!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Poindexter wrote:Maybe just bench any player not wanting to wave no trade. Sooner or later they'll want to play.

Speaking of contract missteps, how huge a mistake was it not to sign Horvat to an extension prior to his all-start season? Doh!

I guess the good thing he is RFA, of course a Team could do what Philly did to Vancouver over Ryan Kesler
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Poindexter wrote:Maybe just bench any player not wanting to wave no trade. Sooner or later they'll want to play.

That's a good way for a GM to find himself in a meeting with a union rep.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:Knowing Hometown Hockey is in Cranbrook, figure I'd watch Toronto at Carolina (don't watch anywhere near as much NHL games as I once did).
This is what attendance is like in many of the southern NHL teams home buildings, its amazing the owners can break even.

Actually, it's not. Carolina has by far the worst attendance, both in actual numbers and percentage, in the NHL. While they're not the only one struggling, they shouldn't be used as an example of what attendance is like.

The attendance figures for this season can be found here: http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I assume those numbers are all paid attendance, not actual bums in seats. I know teams will do little things to inflate their figures, such as counting all of their comp tickets as sold, even if they were never actually given to anyone, let alone used.

Southern markets like Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Nashville are doing just fine. Carolina and Arizona are really struggling, but that isn't news, and those organizations haven't given their fans much to get excited about in recent years.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”