Spandex alert!!

Home of the traffic rant.
southy
Lord of the Board

Spandex alert!!

Post by southy »

Ok - almost got two today on Government. Due to cycling lanes being covered in sand they're using the main lanes. Could see a couple go down soon. Just sayin' - keep EYES OPEN!!
Even Steven
Guru

Re: SPANDEX ALERT!!

Post by Even Steven »

Yes, it's important to be able to see other vehicles in front of you.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Even Steven wrote:Yes, it's important to be able to see other vehicles in front of you.

Yup Even and behind you ... especially when you hammer your brakes and say .... "oops hit 'em - damn spandex bikers"!!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Helmetless geniuses ignoring every rule of the road will be knocked over on a daily basis very soon.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

It up to all drivers not to proceed, if the lane is not clear to do so.
That is asuming you have a drivers license...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
spooker

Post by spooker »

lightspeed wrote:Helmetless geniuses ignoring every rule of the road will be knocked over on a daily basis very soon.

No clue as to how your comment applies to this thread ... as far as I could tell it was discussing how drivers need to pay attention since the bike lanes are unsafe for cyclists so now they are needing to ride in traffic with cars

:topic:
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Helmetless geniuses ignoring every rule of the road will be knocked over on a daily basis very soon.

No clue as to how your comment applies to this thread ... as far as I could tell it was discussing how drivers need to pay attention since the bike lanes are unsafe for cyclists so now they are needing to ride in traffic with cars

:topic:

Well yesterday afternoon a cyclist was riding the wrong way down an oncoming lane.

But I'm sure you'll defend your type. Whereas I won't defend idiot drivers.

spooker

Post by spooker »

lightspeed wrote:Well yesterday afternoon a cyclist was riding the wrong way down an oncoming lane.

You know me so well ... of course I think people on bicycles should ride the wrong way, makes perfect sense ... I do it all the time and teach my kids to do the same thing ... you'll see me jumping on and off the sidewalk so I can get around cars stuck in traffic ... oh, helmets are for wussies ...

When we generalize any type of road user we're only setting ourselves up to be angry anytime we get on the road ...

Cyclists in spandex (a.k.a. out for a training ride) have all sorts of behaviours, wearing anything and their purpose/style could be anything ... pretty much the same as anyone in a car ...

Yesterday I rode in the vehicle lane from Baron to Enterprise along Dilworth ... then for the section from Enterprise to Leckie I rode slower in the dirt filled bike lane until traffic thinned out and I could turn left ...

A friend of mine is currently riding on the sidewalk when he rides home along Springfield because he doesn't trust cars to see him and he doesn't feel safe riding on all the crap in the bike lane ...

No, riding against traffic is old-school, it's what I was taught back when cars drove slower, had less safety features, and weren't as prevalent ... I was also 6 years old at the time so I didn't really know any better ... thankfully people have a chance to think it through and figure out if it makes sense, not everybody does the work to figure it out sadly ...

(trolling me by making assumptions works too well as you can see :smt045 )
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

spooker wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Well yesterday afternoon a cyclist was riding the wrong way down an oncoming lane.

You know me so well ... of course I think people on bicycles should ride the wrong way, makes perfect sense ... I do it all the time and teach my kids to do the same thing ... you'll see me jumping on and off the sidewalk so I can get around cars stuck in traffic ... oh, helmets are for wussies ...

When we generalize any type of road user we're only setting ourselves up to be angry anytime we get on the road ...

Cyclists in spandex (a.k.a. out for a training ride) have all sorts of behaviours, wearing anything and their purpose/style could be anything ... pretty much the same as anyone in a car ...

Yesterday I rode in the vehicle lane from Baron to Enterprise along Dilworth ... then for the section from Enterprise to Leckie I rode slower in the dirt filled bike lane until traffic thinned out and I could turn left ...

A friend of mine is currently riding on the sidewalk when he rides home along Springfield because he doesn't trust cars to see him and he doesn't feel safe riding on all the crap in the bike lane ...

No, riding against traffic is old-school, it's what I was taught back when cars drove slower, had less safety features, and weren't as prevalent ... I was also 6 years old at the time so I didn't really know any better ... thankfully people have a chance to think it through and figure out if it makes sense, not everybody does the work to figure it out sadly ...

(trolling me by making assumptions works too well as you can see :smt045 )

I anticipate some good (and constructive) discussions through the year.

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

southy wrote:Ok - almost got two today on Government. Due to cycling lanes being covered in sand they're using the main lanes. Could see a couple go down soon. Just sayin' - keep EYES OPEN!!

city want's more people to go green and ride are bikes, but do a sh :cuss: jog cleaning cycling lanes, what a joke
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It's too early to clean up the cycling lanes as we might get another dump of snow. They never clean them in February.

It's not scheduled till March.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

imo, they should clean the lanes year round if they want people to go green year round ,should they not
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

the truth wrote:imo, they should clean the lanes year round if they want people to go green year round ,should they not

That is just not practical, feasible or financially prudent.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the truth wrote:imo, they should clean the lanes year round if they want people to go green year round ,should they not

put proper tires on your bike and its not an issue the same idiots crying about some dirt on the bike lanes are usually riding with lightweight extra thin racing style tires that go flat if you ride over a pebble
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i get what your saying ,but it does not change the fact that if the city of kelowna is serious about wanting to go green they need to commit to a year round street sweeper to keep the bike lanes clear ,for those who do ride there bikes in the winter

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”