48375
48176

NHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Re: NHL

Postby GordonH » Feb 19th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Knowing Hometown Hockey is in Cranbrook, figure I'd watch Toronto at Carolina (don't watch anywhere near as much NHL games as I once did).
This is what attendance is like in many of the southern NHL teams home buildings, its amazing the owners can break even.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: NHL

Postby ferri » Feb 24th, 2017, 1:54 pm

:200:

5 Vancouver Canucks players sidelined due to mumps outbreak

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3998731
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 42463
Likes: 12871 posts
Liked in: 7790 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: NHL

Postby GordonH » Feb 24th, 2017, 2:04 pm

ferri wrote::200:

5 Vancouver Canucks players sidelined due to mumps outbreak

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3998731


Since they are on the outside looking in, little chance of making the playoffs.

ferri likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: NHL

Postby ferri » Feb 25th, 2017, 10:52 am

More mumps.

http://www.castanet.net/news/WHL/189932/Mumps-hit-WHL

I feel so sorry for these guys. Mumps are miserable. And when you are past puberty it's really bad.
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

Poindexter likes this post.
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 42463
Likes: 12871 posts
Liked in: 7790 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 2:21 pm

Re: NHL

Postby JayByrd » Feb 25th, 2017, 11:18 am

A disappointing season for the Canucks gets even worse, as minor league reinforcements arrive to replace the isolated players.

With consensus 1st overall pick Nolan Patrick looking like a possibility in Vancouver, a new slogan has been suggested:

Swollen for Nolan.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2855
Likes: 485 posts
Liked in: 958 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Re: NHL

Postby GordonH » Feb 25th, 2017, 11:32 am

JayByrd wrote:A disappointing season for the Canucks gets even worse, as minor league reinforcements arrive to replace the isolated players.

With consensus 1st overall pick Nolan Patrick looking like a possibility in Vancouver, a new slogan has been suggested:

Swollen for Nolan.


Yep.... they should have did the complete rebuild i.e Toronto (of course no one could predict Mumps though)

Now Jim has been asking player with NTC's to consider waving them and teams of their choice.


Added: curious thing though on the Mumps thing Canucks & now WHL Medicine Hat Tigers Hmmm.... if I did not know better, something has it out for Trevor. lol
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: NHL

Postby Poindexter » Feb 25th, 2017, 2:28 pm

JayByrd wrote:A disappointing season for the Canucks gets even worse, as minor league reinforcements arrive to replace the isolated players.

With consensus 1st overall pick Nolan Patrick looking like a possibility in Vancouver, a new slogan has been suggested:

Swollen for Nolan.


:spitcoffee:
That's the worst slogan, especially if people around you didn't know about the Canucks having the mumps. :biggrin:
Last edited by Poindexter on Feb 25th, 2017, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4835
Likes: 2701 posts
Liked in: 3232 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 10:44 am

Re: NHL

Postby Poindexter » Feb 25th, 2017, 2:31 pm

GordonH wrote:
Yep.... they should have did the complete rebuild i.e Toronto (of course no one could predict Mumps though)

Now Jim has been asking player with NTC's to consider waving them and teams of their choice.


Added: curious thing though on the Mumps thing Canucks & now WHL Medicine Hat Tigers Hmmm.... if I did not know better, something has it out for Trevor. lol


Was actually getting a little concerned before the all star break when the Canucks were creeping into playoff spot. Now Benning's can hopefully pull tell trigger for some youth or picks instead of whiffing at the deadline like last year.

Tottally agree with you Gordon, the only way to get better at this point is to draft a better team. Free agents may keep a team somewhat competitive but can't build a cup winner that way.

Interesting about two teams, wonder if they share medical equipment or staff that could have been in contact with both team's players.

GordonH likes this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4835
Likes: 2701 posts
Liked in: 3232 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 10:44 am

Re: NHL

Postby GordonH » Feb 25th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Very quiet lead up to trade deadline this year, either next 4 days will remain quiet or Wednesday will be mad house of trades.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: NHL

Postby GordonH » Feb 25th, 2017, 2:45 pm

Poindexter wrote:Was actually getting a little concerned before the all star break when the Canucks were creeping into playoff spot. Now Benning's can hopefully pull tell trigger for some youth or picks instead of whiffing at the deadline like last year.

Tottally agree with you Gordon, the only way to get better at this point is to draft a better team. Free agents may keep a team somewhat competitive but can't build a cup winner that way.

Interesting about two teams, wonder if they share medical equipment or staff that could have been in contact with both team's players.


impo Vancouver needs to get away from NTC/NMC because it handcuffs management & the coach, sometime players need to be kept on there toes. If you are adding to the team, maybe its time for a change... with those clauses nothing can happen.
In case of twins it would be retirement since no team will take them both, way to big of a cap hit.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: NHL

Postby Thinktank » Feb 25th, 2017, 2:56 pm

ferri wrote::200:

5 Vancouver Canucks players sidelined due to mumps outbreak



[icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif]


they all had their shots. I read it in the Province today.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5834
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 455 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: NHL

Postby Poindexter » Feb 25th, 2017, 3:18 pm

Maybe just bench any player not wanting to wave no trade. Sooner or later they'll want to play.

Speaking of contract missteps, how huge a mistake was it not to sign Horvat to an extension prior to his all-start season? Doh!
User avatar
Poindexter
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4835
Likes: 2701 posts
Liked in: 3232 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 10:44 am

Re: NHL

Postby GordonH » Feb 25th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Poindexter wrote:Maybe just bench any player not wanting to wave no trade. Sooner or later they'll want to play.

Speaking of contract missteps, how huge a mistake was it not to sign Horvat to an extension prior to his all-start season? Doh!


I guess the good thing he is RFA, of course a Team could do what Philly did to Vancouver over Ryan Kesler
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18100
Likes: 1777 posts
Liked in: 5594 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: NHL

Postby JayByrd » Feb 25th, 2017, 9:31 pm

Poindexter wrote:Maybe just bench any player not wanting to wave no trade. Sooner or later they'll want to play.



That's a good way for a GM to find himself in a meeting with a union rep.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
User avatar
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2855
Likes: 485 posts
Liked in: 958 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Re: NHL

Postby JayByrd » Feb 26th, 2017, 8:12 am

GordonH wrote:Knowing Hometown Hockey is in Cranbrook, figure I'd watch Toronto at Carolina (don't watch anywhere near as much NHL games as I once did).
This is what attendance is like in many of the southern NHL teams home buildings, its amazing the owners can break even.


Actually, it's not. Carolina has by far the worst attendance, both in actual numbers and percentage, in the NHL. While they're not the only one struggling, they shouldn't be used as an example of what attendance is like.

The attendance figures for this season can be found here: http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I assume those numbers are all paid attendance, not actual bums in seats. I know teams will do little things to inflate their figures, such as counting all of their comp tickets as sold, even if they were never actually given to anyone, let alone used.

Southern markets like Dallas, Tampa Bay, and Nashville are doing just fine. Carolina and Arizona are really struggling, but that isn't news, and those organizations haven't given their fans much to get excited about in recent years.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
User avatar
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2855
Likes: 485 posts
Liked in: 958 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest