Sodium, Refined sugars and fast food go hand in hand

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Sodium, Refined sugars and fast food go hand in hand

Post by wthwyt »

Every fast food as well many of restaurants period menu items have very high sodium levels. Oh and yes those prepare items in the groceries soups, frozen meals etc etc.

Here is an example I can't use the name so here is a link, now look what size they show than double levels for full size.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Re: Sodium, Refined sugars and fast food go hand in hand

Post by wthwyt »

WTHWYT wrote:Every fast food as well many of restaurants period menu items have very high sodium levels. Oh and yes those prepare items in the groceries soups, frozen meals etc etc.

Here is an example I can't use the name so here is a link, now look what size they show than double levels for full size.

So for the hell of it I check out restaurant that is in Kelowna again not going mention just a link here kids menu Ouch. Parents I know you would treat your kids out, they are better off with homemade pizza & movie.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

*Bumped*

Number 1 killer in North America is heart attacks & strokes. 2 of silence contributors (1) is sodium (hypertension...AKA high blood pressure)

(2) sugars which contributes to type 2 diabetes

As you go shopping at your local grocery store check labels on those canned or packaged items.

Daily recommended amounts of sodium 1800 mg (not per/meal)

As for sugars try to keep that as close single digits in gram amounts.

Eating out is fine as long as it is not all the time. Restaurant food can be very high with both sodium & sugars.
(Especially fast food)
Don't believe me check your fast food (or restaurant) of choice & their nutrition facts, be ready for a <<shocker>>.

I'm not interested in Government involvement to reduce the levels, but consumers should be telling manufactures & restaurant/fast food outlets reduce these numbers.

Of course the best way to do this eat at home (not order take-out) by cooking & baking your own food so you know how much to put in.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

Tax fast food like cigarettes putting all money towards healthcare. Also ban fast food from being consumed indoors except in designated fast food areas. That stuff stinks!

Mcdonalds and 'prepared' foods should cost at least 10x as much as real food.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

High blood pressure + diabetes = big deal
http://www.diabetes.ca/for-professional ... -pressure/

Sodium is the part of salt that increases blood pressure. There is more sodium in salt than any other food that we eat. We eat salt because it makes food taste better. It enhances the flavor of almost everything we eat. Yet eating too much salt is dangerous.

The body needs sodium to hold water in the blood vessls. Sodium also regulates water balance in all parts of the body. If too much water is held in the body, the amount of blood increases. If it increases too much, problems will arise.

The increase in blood makes the heart work harder. The result can be high blood pressure. Other conditions, such as diabetes, can cause high blood pressure. The most common cause is eating too much salt/sodium. When high blood pressure is not controlled, it can lead to a heart attack, stroke or kidney disease.

Source(s):

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/thriftyliving/tl-salt.html

http://www.subliminalsales.com/sublimin ... tloss.html
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

mrj222 wrote:Tax fast food like cigarettes putting all money towards healthcare. Also ban fast food from being consumed indoors except in designated fast food areas. That stuff stinks!

Mcdonalds and 'prepared' foods should cost at least 10x as much as real food.

I would prefer that people smartened up themselves rather than we had big brother government dictating to us what we can or can't do - and taxing us for making wrong choices.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

These days everything goes hand in hand with sodium.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

grammafreddy wrote:I would prefer that people smartened up themselves rather than we had big brother government dictating to us what we can or can't do - and taxing us for making wrong choices.

I agree with you here GF, ending up with heart disease and/or diabetes is high enough taxes for foolish choices.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Perhaps all foods associated with high sodium and high carbs should come with warning pics and labels just like tobacco has. This would include restaurant meals, groceries, processed foods, prepared meals like TV dinners, fast foods, deli meats and many others.

They could include pics like this cheerful lady ... a triple amputee from not looking after her blood sugar levels ...

This is sexy - a gangrenous foot...

How about a damaged heart?

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

Couple days ago Fast Food joint re-opened in Rutland area.

Since not 1 of this places can serve food without it being extremely loaded with sodium or packed with refined sugars. Hey every once & a while no big deal, we have all heard everything in moderation.

There are some who eat these place far to often, to this I'd say you are on a fast track to some bad events worse being heart disease followed very closely type 2 diabetes.

Sodium is only half of what you use at your homes that is table salt which has both parts in it sodium chloride. So it's not pure sodium it has about 35 +/- 3 percent of sodium.

Each adult total daily intake should 1,500mg

1 WHOPPER® with Cheese has 1,320mg of sodium (this is single patty)
1 Baconator has 1,860mg of sodium
1 Big Mac has 950mg of sodium
etc...etc

There are item on each of these menu's with higher amount of sodium, you get the point.

Don't make this regular daily meal, it will catch up to you.
Hypertension is a silence killer, you never know you have unless to check your blood pressure regular.

Systolic of 120 & Diastolic of 80 is normal healthy blood pressure
Systolic of 120-139 & Diastolic of 80-89 is prehypertension
Systolic of 140-159 & Diastolic 90-99 Stage 1 hypertension
Systolic of 160+ & Diastolic 100+ Stage 2 hypertension
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I was told to cut down on sodium, but seriously what the ehll else can I cut down on?

I cut Timmies.
I cut a lot of fast food places.
When we travel we don't even go to fast food places, not like we used to.
I cut alcohol (all joking about Crown Royal and vodka aside, I rarely drink any more)
I cut freaking treats with coffee on days off.

So the Dr says no more salt on anything.

Water and celery sticks please.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Sodium and fast food go hand in hand

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:I was told to cut down on sodium, but seriously what the ehll else can I cut down on?

I cut Timmies.
I cut a lot of fast food places.
When we travel we don't even go to fast food places, not like we used to.
I cut alcohol (all joking about Crown Royal and vodka aside, I rarely drink any more)
I cut freaking treats with coffee on days off.

So the Dr says no more salt on anything.

Water and celery sticks please.

Again everything in moderation, home cooking just be aware how much salt you add to what your cooking. Baking there are sugarless items you use.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

All good advice.

I suspect my issues are from other things, not food sourced. Can't wait for home growen lettuces and greens of all kinds.

Fast food, last bastion of being bad next to smoking.
And parents, are parents now bad parenting if they take their kids there knowing what we know now?

:runforlife: Do we dare open that door?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Genetics can fug up any plan to live a healthy life.

Learn from the best.

Better to burn out than fade away.

Return to “Health”