Sodium, Refined sugars and fast food go hand in hand

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Sodium, Refined sugars and fast food go hand in hand

Post by Queen K »

Sure but why tempt fate? Why fill up on junk when it's long past proven to be detrimental?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Why do some burgers taste so good? sugar in the seasoning. Sugar in the bread. Sugar in the bacon. Sugar in the cheese. Sugar in the ketchup. And just sugar in the hamburger. And MSG for flavor. Plus a lot of chemicals I don't even know what they are.

Pure Beef Patty

100% beef.
Seasoning
salt, sea salts (potassium chloride, sea salt), spices, sugar, cornstarch, garlic powder, dextrose, onion powder, yeast extract, caramel colour, spice extractives, high oleic sunflower seed oil, citric acid, natural flavour, silicon dioxide.
Processed Cheddar Cheese

cheese (milk, modified milk ingredients, bacterial culture, salt, rennet and/or microbial enzyme, calcium chloride, colour, lipase), modified milk ingredients, water, sodium citrate and /or sodium phosphate, glucose, salt, acetic acid, sorbic acid, soy lecithin, carboxymethylcellulose, colour.

Roasted Bacon
pork, water, salt, sugar, cultured celery extract, natural hardwood smoke flavor, smoke.
Sesame Seed Bun

enriched flour, water, glucose-fructose/sugar, yeast, sesame seeds, vegetable oil (Canola or Soybean), salt, calcium propionate, monoglycerides, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate. May contain wheat gluten, vinegar, calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate, ammonium chloride, potassium sorbate, acteylated tartaric acid esters of mono and diglycerides, monocalcium phosphate.
Mustard

vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, spices.
Ketchup
tomato paste (made from fresh ripe tomatoes), liquid sugar, white vinegar, salt, onion powder, spices.
Pickles

cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, calcium chloride, sodium benzoate, aluminum sulphate, natural flavour, polysorbate 80, colour (contains tartrazine).
Teen® Sauce

water, soybean oil, sugar, vinegar, modified corn starch, egg yolk, salt, mustard, spices, calcium disodium EDTA.
Onion Slice
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

^^I'd stay away from A&W.
The only burgers I eat are homemade - lean, mean and spicy and we know where the meat came from. Fast food places are a treat maybe once a year when travelling - the whole family prefers what comes out of their own kitchens.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

We eat out at burger places rarely. I still crave Big Macs, but the last time I ate one was about 5 years ago. Yes I crave them, but they make me sick. Literally. Most burger places do nowadays. I couldn't even eat Burger King when my body would tolerate McD's. (Burger Baron will still be good for a quarterly or biannual treat though)

Eating close to home, natural has a lot of health benefits. If your are growing your own food (like QK & Bman do, and I try to) it helps with the grocery bills too.

I am delighted to report my 19 year old daughter and I went out for lunch this weekend, and she announced she has decided to eat healthier and cut white sugar out of her food intake. After years of preaching healthy eating at her, she is finally getting the message :yahoo:

So, even at home, go as natural as you can. Don't drink juice, drink water.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

It's beginning to look more and more like carbs, fat, and sodium aren't the culprits leading to a lot of our health issues. It appears sugar is the real enemy.

To be clear, it's not the sugar found in fruit that's the problem. Our bodies know how to handle that sugar when it's also combined with the fibre fruit also provides.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've been looking at stevia more and more. I'm not liking the other sweeteners in some of the drinks nor the sodium but I do like fizzy water. Usually add a little fresh lime to water for a change of pace.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jonrox wrote:It's beginning to look more and more like carbs, fat, and sodium aren't the culprits leading to a lot of our health issues. It appears sugar is the real enemy.

To be clear, it's not the sugar found in fruit that's the problem. Our bodies know how to handle that sugar when it's also combined with the fibre fruit also provides.

Unfortunately once you get the diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, hypertension is not to far off. These 2 health issues tend to go hand in hand.
It is very rare to be diagnosed with 1 and not have the other show up sooner or later.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:I've been looking at stevia more and more. I'm not liking the other sweeteners in some of the drinks nor the sodium but I do like fizzy water. Usually add a little fresh lime to water for a change of pace.

I've tried stevia & splenda they both change the taste of my tea I did not like it. Still looking for sweetener that does the job without changing flavour.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I've been on a Low Carbs High Fat diet for three days now. Feels pretty good, not hungry at all. Who would would have thought bacon is good for you lol. No fruit, no sugar, no pasta/bread/rice, etc.

Sodium? Never use any.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I like the flavour of stevia in my coffee, but when it comes to tea I prefer local honey for flavour.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

So a lot of us are addicted to fast food because fast food is engineered to make us crave it. With sugar, salt, fat and chemical additives to improve the texture and excite our brain cells - we don't stand much of a chance. Most of the time I eat fast food because I'm bored, more than the fact I'm hungry.

We definitely have an overweight problem in Canada. In the youtube video Mark Wolters tells how he lost 50 lbs. I never watched it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIVT8NStZ8

http://modernhealthmonk.com/food-addiction/
http://coach.nine.com.au/2015/03/12/11/ ... ing-us-fat
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Time to think of something else when a craving hits and go for a walk. Take all the money that might have been spent on fast food and throw it in a jar for a well earned reward later. Funny I don't see the long lineups at fast food places like there used to be - probably why some have closed down.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Cravings do happen for a reason - it's the body telling you it's hungry.

Satisfying cravings though is up to you though. Carbs and sugars are very easy way to feed yourself because it shuts off your cravings but provides little nutritional value. You'll be hungry in no time. Eating a meal that is rich in nutrients is another way to satisfy the craving but in this case the body gets the energy you won't be craving anything for much longer.

The fact that sugars have almost toxic drug qualities that can get you addicted to said sugars makes life harder.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not all cravings are because of hunger. Pregnant women can have the weirdest cravings.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 3rd, 2017, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “Health”