Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Home of the traffic rant.
cbar

Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by cbar »

I have lived in Kelowna for the past 10 years and have always been a little concerned about the very poor driving habits and the condition of vehicles in this town (lane hogging, cell phone use, rusty, smoky, bald tyred, DIY tune ups, people parking inside buildings due to pressing the accelerator instead of the brakes !! etc etc.

Coming from Europe we are used to roundabouts which when used properly are very safe and a fast way of moving traffic...its a shame that people i Kelowna don't know how to indicate on them.
* If you are taking the first exit indicate RIGHT as you are approaching the roundabout.
* If you are taking the second or third exit indicate LEFT as you are approaching the roundabout THEN when you have passed the last exit before the one you want indicate RIGHT.

It really is very easy.

I have seen people doing all kinds of weird signals which puts everybody at risk of an accident.
IF YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO INDICATE ON A ROUNDABOUT THEN IT IS BETTER TO NOT INDICATE AT ALL!!

Rant over...I feel much better now...thank you. :)
Last edited by cbar on Mar 10th, 2017, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Roundabouts

Post by lightspeed »

Semi drivers in Winfield: try to read the road signs so you don't get stuck in a small roundabout trying to make a right turn that would defy the laws of physics.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

cbar, I share your sentiments.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It is safer NOT to signal in the roundabouts here.........leave them guessing and they tend to stop. Too many puzzled looks and a turn signal does not guarantee someone is turning around here.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

lesliepaul wrote:It is safer NOT to signal in the roundabouts here.........leave them guessing and they tend to stop. Too many puzzled looks and a turn signal does not guarantee someone is turning around here.

I agree, when you are IN the circle and an approaching car sees your front turn signal on, they will think that you are going to turn right and exit before they enter. They will likely turn out in front of you.
On the other hand, everyone knows that since you are in the circle, you will eventually have to exit it, to the right, somewhere around that circle. If there is no signal indicated, the approaching car will have to by default, fall in behind you. This may cause a 1.3 second delay in their entry.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Learn to use Roundabouts! (Traffic Circles!)

Post by kgcayenne »

People who are confused by turn signals ought not to be driving.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:People who are confused by turn signals ought not to be driving.

That would pretty much clear the roads here in Kelowna. Most seem to either not use them at all or use them incorrectly.

It happens so much we don't trust the one who do use them right.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Traffic circle is easy just go . Unless there is a car rite there that u will hit .. go . No signal needed .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
wolfenone

Post by wolfenone »

Anyone having to navigate the two "traffic circles" on Webber Road takes their chances . They are so small that signals on all my vehicles can't be on long enough before your steering must be reversed which cancels the signal. Everyone approaches these circles with a different idea of who yield, proceed, or barrel *bleep* through or over them without reducing speed at all thinking they have right of way if driving on Webber RD. I have seen so many close calls at these circles.

I guess most of the engineering budget went into the "WHINE TRAIL" :-X
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Traffic circle is easy just go . Unless there is a car rite there that u will hit .. go . No signal needed .

That pretty much sums it up.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

lesliepaul wrote:It is safer NOT to signal in the roundabouts here

It's never safer to ignore the rules.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

cbar wrote:I have lived in Kelowna for the past 10 years and have always been a little concerned about the very poor driving habits and the condition of vehicles in this town (lane hogging, cell phone use, rusty, smoky, bald tyred, DIY tune ups, people parking inside buildings due to pressing the accelerator instead of the brakes !! etc etc.

Coming from Europe we are used to roundabouts which when used properly are very safe and a fast way of moving traffic...its a shame that people i Kelowna don't know how to indicate on them.
* If you are taking the first exit indicate RIGHT as you are approaching the roundabout.
* If you are taking the second or third exit indicate LEFT as you are approaching the roundabout THEN when you have passed the last exit before the one you want indicate RIGHT.

It really is very easy.

I have seen people doing all kinds of weird signals which puts everybody at risk of an accident.
IF YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO INDICATE ON A ROUNDABOUT THEN IT IS BETTER TO NOT INDICATE AT ALL!!

I dont see anything about using your left turn signal anywhere here:
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roundabouts/ It is your right signal only that you use on exiting the traffic circle.
It is no wonder you are confused. Forget all that LEFT signalling you are in Canada now and this is the law here.
If you don't know what the rules are don't pass them off as truth!
Waste not
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

cbar wrote:I have lived in Kelowna for the past 10 years and have always been a little concerned about the very poor driving habits and the condition of vehicles in this town (lane hogging, cell phone use, rusty, smoky, bald tyred, DIY tune ups, people parking inside buildings due to pressing the accelerator instead of the brakes !! etc etc.

It really is very easy.

I really don't understand all of the rants about roundabouts. I have never had one issue or even close call using a roundabout.

Also don't understand why the Europeans come over and tell us the right way of using them. Who cares how you do it where you came from?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

johnny24 wrote:Also don't understand why the Europeans come over and tell us the right way of using them. Who cares how you do it where you came from?

It's quite simple really. We Europeans build better cars. We build better roads. And simply, we know how to drive better :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Traffic circle is easy just go . Unless there is a car rite there that u will hit .. go . No signal needed .

w84u2 wrote:That pretty much sums it up.

And you wonder why we have such a ridiculous accident rate ...

"I don't care how it should be done, I'm doing it my way because I think it's better"

Good grief
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”