Money for Nothing

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Money for Nothing

Post by gordon_as »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/191 ... s-released

So folks , how much is your paycheque every 2 weeks ? I bet it's not $4850 before taxes.

Oh , then there is the expense account :
$1900 per month for travel ?
$1475 per month for a residence in Victoria ( actually not too bad )
$1342 per month for "other stuff" is more than a lot of people who work harder actually earn.

Over 10,000 per month for a constituency office in what is probably the cheapest building downtown ? ( not including staff)
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Money for Nothing

Post by Even Steven »

gordon_as wrote:$1900 per month for travel ?

That's like 3-4 trips to Victoria.

Not including taxies, shuttles, hotels, etc.

Seems reasonable.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Anyone can try to get a political party nomination to run in next Provincial election as a possible MLA.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

gordon_as wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/191726/MLA-s-expenses-released

So folks , how much is your paycheque every 2 weeks ? I bet it's not $4850 before taxes.

$1342 per month for "other stuff" is more than a lot of people who work harder actually earn.

Over 10,000 per month for a constituency office in what is probably the cheapest building downtown ? ( not including staff)

Seeing that it looks so good you should run in the next election and live high on the hog. :smt045
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

?
Last edited by gordon_as on Mar 15th, 2017, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Even Steven wrote:
gordon_as wrote:$1900 per month for travel ?

That's like 3-4 trips to Victoria.

Not including taxies, shuttles, hotels, etc.

Seems reasonable.

BC legislature was sitting for a grand total of 51 days in 2016
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

gordon_as wrote:BC legislature was sitting for a grand total of 51 days in 2016

MLAs are still working on numerous projects, committees, and so on. Part of the job.

I like when people present travelling as some sort of a perk. I travel for my job - US and Canada. I absolutely hate it - staying in hotels, flying, spending time in airports. Nobody likes it.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Was it Foster who leased a building from a relative , and then submitted renovation expenses of $ 78,000.00 a few years back ?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

gordon_as wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/191726/MLA-s-expenses-released

Seems low to have to put up with strangers on the internet dissecting your salary and life.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Does anyone actually look into what they do? Your point is that they work 51 days a year total. Before your point gets totally shot down as it should maybe we should let you actually do research into what a MLA does over a whole year and learn for yourself.
Last edited by ferri on Mar 16th, 2017, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Mine's more than that.

I wouldn't be a slave to the public 24/7 with a no-win job for what MLAs get paid, that's for damned sure.

I'm happier to make more doing what I do and have my free time to myself, without all the gum flap directed my way from jealous, chronic underachievers on the internet.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

if you offered to pay me $1mm a year to be an MLA I would turn you down.

Not worth the pain in the butt to have to deal with all the whiners complainer and naysayers that will jump on your every word and attack you from a keyboard.

Here is the part that sucks, I want to serve the public (so I do in my own private way) and I would be really good at it. But I wont put my family through the horror of public life.

I feel that I am not alone in this line of thinking, and the best people for the job, wont touch it with a 10 foot pole.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Chyren wrote:

Does anyone actually look into what they do? Your point is that they work 51 days a year total. Before your point gets totally shot down as it should maybe we should let you actually do research into what a MLA does over a whole year and learn for yourself.

I was looking for the part where I said they only work 51 days per year , and I couldn't find it.
Nice try putting words in my mouth.
What makes you think I don't know what an MLA does ?

My concern is not with the actual salary of an MLA , it is more about the overall cost to the taxpayer when all is said and done. $300,000 per year , plus the staffing cost , for just one of BC's 85 MLA's.

Then of course there are also the federal MP's , each with substantially higher expenses.

I am sure there is a better way.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Rwede wrote:Mine's more than that.

I wouldn't be a slave to the public 24/7 with a no-win job for what MLAs get paid, that's for damned sure.

I'm happier to make more doing what I do and have my free time to myself, without all the gum flap directed my way from jealous, chronic underachievers on the internet.

Not quite there but close. plus I only work 8 hours a day (mostly) and don't get whinny calls from the 'only my opinion counts' crowd in my off time.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two

Return to “North Okanagan”