Deep Water Boat Launch

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Deep Water Boat Launch

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Unless the city added another boat launch, there was 3 north of bridge.
Queenway (closed or about to close, due to tourist information building)
near Grand
near Tolko
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
crispin

Post by crispin »

Never mind deep water boat launch. The Eldorado boat launch is the only one left in Kelowna after they shut down The Water st launch and once we are all forced to go there, the parking lot will not accommodate the volume of boaters. I believe the City needs to step up and provide proper access to the lake for recreational boaters and tax payers ! The city claims there are boat launches at Cedar creek Gravel need 4x4 and boats less than 19 feet No Parking except on the narrow road. Sutherland park by knox Mnt. 3 feet deep at high pool ! can not launch boat larger than 19 feet and water unfit for swimming or wading ! City of Kelowna WAKE UP
spooker

Post by spooker »

crispin wrote:... The Eldorado boat launch is the only one left in Kelowna after they shut down The Water st launch and once we are all forced to go there, ...

Why do you think that the Water St. launch will be shutdown? Considering how much sway the Yacht Club holds I doubt they'd ever let that happen ...
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

It seems ludicrous to me that launch facilities are so few and far between in the Kelowna, West Kelowna areas. The lake is a major draw for people who live in the area and for people who come here as tourists. West Kelowna has a decent launch area, but the lack of parking for trailers and tow vehicles is laughable.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If the Queensway boat launch has to be closed, the Kelowna Yacht Club wants to see the existing Water Street boat launch modified to accommodate the sailboats.

Barton said the city is looking into that, but made no promises.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3843930
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Treblehook wrote:It seems ludicrous to me that launch facilities are so few and far between in the Kelowna, West Kelowna areas. The lake is a major draw for people who live in the area and for people who come here as tourists. West Kelowna has a decent launch area, but the lack of parking for trailers and tow vehicles is laughable.

^^This. The city, and greater Regional Districts should be ashamed at the lack of proper provisions for boat access on Okanagan Lake. From launching to mooring, this lake lacks big time. The ever-touted launch at the Eldorado is an absolute gong show at the best of times. If this current direction is to continue, then the city needs to seriously consider a parkade at the Eldorado launch as the complete absence of viable trailer parking for day boating anywhere else in Kelowna is a joke.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

WalterWhite wrote:
^^This. The city, and greater Regional Districts should be ashamed at the lack of proper provisions for boat access on Okanagan Lake. From launching to mooring, this lake lacks big time. The ever-touted launch at the Eldorado is an absolute gong show at the best of times. If this current direction is to continue, then the city needs to seriously consider a parkade at the Eldorado launch as the complete absence of viable trailer parking for day boating anywhere else in Kelowna is a joke.

What is sad, look around the lake. Many smaller communities, such as West Kelowna and Peachland are so much farther ahead when it comes to boaters. This City seems to cater to paddle boarders and wine sniffers. Not sure but I feel they are missing it!

Hear Basran on the news, almost made my supper come up, he needs to be more prepared when talking, and quit stumbling around like Trudeau.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Perhaps Council and the Mayor should actually see what (majority of ) people want, not just do things that please small special interest groups .
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Treblehook wrote:It seems ludicrous to me that launch facilities are so few and far between in the Kelowna, West Kelowna areas. The lake is a major draw for people who live in the area and for people who come here as tourists. West Kelowna has a decent launch area, but the lack of parking for trailers and tow vehicles is laughable.

How laughable is free parking as long as you want in WK? Get there early or don't be lazy and park along the streets and walk back to your watercraft!
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Does anyone think anyone from council actually had a look at this? went down there, observed.. asked folks that are around if boats got launched. Asked folks that pass by there, what they would like to see on that piece of land .
Its called research...some cities do that.
But what do we see more of? Maybe money spent on commities and studies not many asked for........like what new piece of public art...
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Perhaps Council and the Mayor should actually see what (majority of ) people want, not just do things that please small special interest groups .

I get what you are saying but honestly the majority of people are not all that concerned with a deep water boat launch to accommodate old sailboats.
Just like the majority of people are not interested in a private multi million dollar paddle boat club.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:Does anyone think anyone from council actually had a look at this? went down there, observed.. asked folks that are around if boats got launched. Asked folks that pass by there, what they would like to see on that piece of land .
Its called research...some cities do that.
But what do we see more of? Maybe money spent on commities and studies not many asked for........like what new piece of public art...

They had installed a camera down there to see how much it got used. From what I understand, only 30 boats launched there in six months.

The City monitored the usage of the Queensway boat launch with a video camera between June and November of last year. The City said the footage revealed that there were only 30 launches at that facility during the six-month period.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3323291/tough ... h-closure/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

had they not got rid of the drive through stalls so you can park a truck and trailer it would have got used a lot more so basically the city got rid of the necessary parking years ago and then decides the boat launch isn't being used so they can close it well done. idiots each and every one of them.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

The way I see it, the City of Kelowna is shooting itself in the foot by getting rid of mostly all the parking lots that tourist or anyone else for that matter can use in the downtown area by the Lake. I fully understand the reasoning for the city to build these massive parkades but not everyone has the capability to walk three and four blocks to visit the lakeside attractions. It's ironic that the only parking lot that hasn't been decommissioned is that of City Hall staff parking at Water St. and Doyle Ave. For a city that boast about all it's amenities that it has created, the thing they hasn't improved at all is the boat launch areas that for me attracts more tourists to this city because of Okanagan Lake and the water activities in the summer. Come on City of Kelowna, dummy up and do something right for once for the average Joe rather than spending tax payers money on useless and stupid things. If I'm visiting a tourist destination like Kelowna the last thing I want to worry about is parking otherwise I'll just bypass Kelowna and spend my money somewhere else down the road.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

fall wrote:I get what you are saying but honestly the majority of people are not all that concerned with a deep water boat launch to accommodate old sailboats.
Just like the majority of people are not interested in a private multi million dollar paddle boat club.

It is people that are uninformed that make statements and react just as this Counsel did. Old or new a fixed keel sailboat needs deep water launching.

The sad thing it, it is something that has been used, paid for in full, is likely part of the Simpson agreement and they take it away. I say two steps forward and two steps back. These areas in this City are limited. The costs to keep another deep water launch available will be huge. Look at the Eldorado, do you know how much it cost to dredge it last year and what it has cost the TAX payers this year???

It makes little sense to me.

Return to “Central Okanagan”