Churches not stepping up

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Churches not stepping up

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:This is what I find almost laughable ... nice gesture on behalf of the church, however if organized religion really wanted to make a difference with regard to social issues then perhaps they should instead of creating small, feel good look at what we have done aren't we wonderful, great press opportunities maybe just maybe. They could truly make a difference.

Photo Op? They needed to get the information to the public about the sale. Take a look at some of what this church does:
https://firstunitedkelowna.ca/ministry-outreach/
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

​"We still need emergency shelters and we absolutely have people in our community that still experience homelessness."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/m ... -1.3949030
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Sorry Fancy not drinking the kool aid. This is the organization ( United Church of Canada) that owns Nsramata Centre. From what I hear hundreds of rooms sitting empty .. emergency shelters .. safe homes .. in from the cold but nope they don't want to do that. Why not? It seens to me one word sums it .. you know the word say one thing do another.
Last edited by southy on Mar 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm not sure why Medicine Hat is calling itself free of homeless.
“With the weather being as cold as it is, finding a place to be during the day or to sleep is hard,” he said. “There’s a lot of homeless people in Medicine Hat right now and we all have to use things like the breakfast and dinner programs to get by every day — it’s really, really hard.”

http://medicinehatnews.com/news/local-n ... -services/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

southy wrote:Sorry Fancy not drinking the look aid. This is the organization ( United Church of Canada) that owns Nsramata Centre. From what I hear hundreds of rooms sitting empty .. emergency shelters .. safe homes .. in from the cold but nope they don't want to do that. Why not? It seens to me one word sums it .. you know the word sY one thing do another.

What hundreds of rooms?
One of the Okanagan’s most-needed community resources has opened the doors to its shelter for the winter season

http://www.kelownacapnews.com/news/kelo ... er-season/
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

Who provides the Gospel Mission, food bank and shelters with the majority of their funding? Who provides clothing, emergency food hampers, free counselling and more to the local homeless? Who sponsors Syrian refugees? Who provides Hands of Service and other programs? That's wonderful that you helped out a homeless person, perhaps you can guide him to his nearest church to gain more help.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Jflem1983 wrote:So there is a very telling letter to the editor. It speaks to churches doing nothing to help the homeless
I have taken money food and clothing to a homeless man many many times . He lived in a tent within a stones throw of a big rich church . Was a half mile from another big rich church . I asked him one Christmas as I was bringing him turkey . If the church ever helped . He laughed and said of course not . His tent was invisible to churches

Going back to the original post. We too regularly support a few 'fringe' (not in the downtown or Rutland area 'centers')

homeless folks...one of the complaints I've heard over and over is that some religious groups who do offer support expect

the needy to pray or participate in some kind or form of religious study/teaching/prayer before and or after getting a

meal or help.

While I know there is a lot of help out there from religious groups and I applaud the efforts, I sure don't agree

with anyone using help or food as a way to flog their religious beliefs.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Grandan wrote:
What_the wrote:In the case of the Catholic church i.e. the Vatican, they'd rather play politics, and sit in they're opulent gold embroidered clothes and hoard and count gold as if were lost souls saved.
An earthen alter was good enough for Christ.

Rank and file poor padre, yes.

The Vatican helps the homeless in many ways:
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/20 ... s-of-rome/

8 billion in assets and you're citing blankets during unusually cold weather in the Mediterranean? Ok.
And I thought it was generous the pope decided to forego tailored clothes and shoes upon appointment.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Barney Google wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:So there is a very telling letter to the editor. It speaks to churches doing nothing to help the homeless
I have taken money food and clothing to a homeless man many many times . He lived in a tent within a stones throw of a big rich church . Was a half mile from another big rich church . I asked him one Christmas as I was bringing him turkey . If the church ever helped . He laughed and said of course not . His tent was invisible to churches

Going back to the original post. We too regularly support a few 'fringe' (not in the downtown or Rutland area 'centers')

homeless folks...one of the complaints I've heard over and over is that some religious groups who do offer support expect

the needy to pray or participate in some kind or form of religious study/teaching/prayer before and or after getting a

meal or help.

While I know there is a lot of help out there from religious groups and I applaud the efforts, I sure don't agree

with anyone using help or food as a way to flog their religious beliefs.

Ya i agree it's messed up. However if I needed a roof and a meal . I'd listen to your speech . So part of me thinks so what they push their belief . They r a church . That's all they got . Then another part of me thinks . If these groups are helping large numbers of people. There would be a lot of people drawn into the church regardless . These are only my opinions .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeah.. Churches don't do enough and should pay taxes ..

Look around you people. Who funds the local charities ? Christie or Joe Potatoe ??

think again....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I'm wondering if only 3% of the money that goes to churches ends up helping poor people
and the 97% goes to build buildings, buy real estate, and pay wages.

And charities? 3% to the poor?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dunno - might start another thread about that. Clearly churches are doing something to help the homeless.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I feel bad having started this thread . I did not want it to be so anti church . Fancy . I think people like you who have faith are good people . I'm not there yet but my mind is open to faith . Hope I have not ticked anyone off with this
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Jflem1983 wrote:I feel bad having started this thread . I did not want it to be so anti church . Fancy . I think people like you who have faith are good people . I'm not there yet but my mind is open to faith . Hope I have not ticked anyone off with this

Not to worry. This is just the "Kelowna" thing. Get *bleep* off with people who are homeless, and get *bleep* of at churches for not doing enough, all the while pass them by, and not give them help, then go onto a forum and gripe about everything.

The people that will ha
elp, are helping. The ones who sit and moan about it, probably never put a dime in the Sally Ann kettle, nor ever helped a person who was really down and out.
Just the way it is. You never ticked me off.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:I feel bad having started this thread . I did not want it to be so anti church . Fancy . I think people like you who have faith are good people . I'm not there yet but my mind is open to faith . Hope I have not ticked anyone off with this
thank you from my heart. You certainly have not ticked me off. Any dialogue is a good thing if it makes people think. That's why I joined the forums - to get different perspectives.

Return to “Social Concerns”