Developers Can Do Better/Highrise

TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Developers Can Do Better/Highrise

Post by TMBOkanagan »

Now that a few people have written letters to the editor regarding the Council meeting on Monday - where Council said "Developers can do better" - I am curious to hear some of the other views and opinions out there. Should the City and Council be pushing for higher quality design that could be potentially a higher cost to developers?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... -do-better - Developers Can Do Better
https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/1 ... g-together - Working Together? (Letter to the editor)
https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/1 ... g-too-much - Are we building too much? (Letter to the editor)
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Developers Can Do Better

Post by lesliepaul »

Amazing that THIS city council would say that derogatory remark about a developer that without any doubt funded their election campaign.............probably came up short in $$$$ contributions so council will sacrifice the weaker developer to save the rest.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lesliepaul wrote:Amazing that THIS city council would say that derogatory remark about a developer that without any doubt funded their election campaign.............probably came up short in $$$$ contributions so council will sacrifice the weaker developer to save the rest.

Or maybe if the developer did contribute it shows that Council can't be bought.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Developers Can Do Better.

Hmmmm.......

What was the FIRST clue ????
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

I think that this developer is actually from Alberta - so campaign contributions weren't a factor.

My question was more - is it better to push the developers to do better which would improve the "look" of Kelowna, but may mean higher prices? Or is it better to be more lenient in order to get more housing & development quicker and at a lower cost?
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

I've listened to members of council who say developers can do better but they vote for the project anyways. They should quit whining and say no. Then, they will do better!!
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

TBOkanagan wrote:. Should the City and Council be pushing for higher quality design that could be potentially a higher cost to developers?

imho, council doesn't seem to think the above tradeoff exists. They point to a couple of the affordable housing units that have better aesthetics than some higher cost developments that weren't intended to be budget and say stuff like:

"it doesn't have to be expensive to be appealing and a lot of it's in color selection and breaking it up" - Luke Stack

and yeah those features matter but i feel like its pretty naive to say this and a lot of developers in town and abroad would take issue with this (although i do get what councillor Stack is saying).
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Council's of the past pretty well gave developers a free hand along with absolutely no push back on a lack of affordable housing.
How all of a sudden this council has grown a small backbone.... Wow
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

TBOkanagan wrote:I think that this developer is actually from Alberta - so campaign contributions weren't a factor.

My question was more - is it better to push the developers to do better which would improve the "look" of Kelowna, but may mean higher prices? Or is it better to be more lenient in order to get more housing & development quicker and at a lower cost?

Interesting line city council is walking by making these statements, and while true in all likelihood - I don't think it's really their job to decide on a project's aesthetic value. A number of years ago, the city used to have step in the development process, that would see proposals brought before what if memory serves me correct was the advisory design committee. This committee was made up of architects and members of the public. Their mandate was to give input regarding this present day issue - the aesthetic values of proposed developments. The issue however, was that just like any visual medium - it's entirely subjective - and as such,I think was part of the reason the committee was eventually disbanded. The responsibility of council is not, and should not be to decide what is or is not visually appealing about a project as it is completely subjective - after all, who are they to dictate? What formal training have any of them had with regards to design? The only way this would be permissible, is if the city invoked a general design policy that new developments had to adhere to - much like a building scheme that is often part of subdivision development stipulating what builders and homeowners may apply to the exterior of a residence regarding such aspects as wall, roof and general landscaping design guidelines. Again, the problem with that - is it's entirely subjective. In addition to being subjective, as has also been mentioned - it can have a very significant impact on the cost of a project and becomes the age old dilemna of "form over function". City planner Ryan Smith clearly indicated the same: "In this case, we felt this met the standard, but does it exceed the standards of an architectural masterpiece? No, certainly it's a rental building, and there needs to be some economies of scale so when you build these types of buildings it keeps them affordable." You can't always have your cake and eat it too.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

WalterWhite wrote: City planner Ryan Smith clearly indicated the same: "In this case, we felt this met the standard, but does it exceed the standards of an architectural masterpiece? No, certainly it's a rental building, and there needs to be some economies of scale so when you build these types of buildings it keeps them affordable." You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

100% agree with Ryan. Come to think of it he has always been an all-star at city hall. Always took issue with how staff always run the city and not the council. But so long as Ryan is at the helm I look the other way [icon_lol2.gif] Will be a sad day if he ever moves away to a bigger municipality that deserves talent like him.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:Council's of the past pretty well gave developers a free hand along with absolutely no push back on a lack of affordable housing.
How all of a sudden this council has grown a small backbone.... Wow

Hmmm - not sure how this is an example of council having "grown a small backbone". It appears to be the opposite, as they aren't so much as sticking up for affordable housing - they're clearly more concerned with how it looks rather than whatever benefits it may provide in regards to affordable housing, and oblivious to the fact the fancy comes with a cost, and at some point that fancy cost detrimentally affects the affordability of affordable housing.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

TBOkanagan wrote:I think that this developer is actually from Alberta - so campaign contributions weren't a factor.

Have you heard of Westcorp? Google them.

Westcorp Head Office
Phone: (780) 431-3300
Fax: (780) 431-3331
Email: [email protected]

Address:
200 College Plaza
8215 - 112 Street
Edmonton, AB T6G 2C8
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Do you actually think the powers that be in Kelowna give a rats *bleep* about cost savings? It's a goldmine for anyone with money to make more money.
Sure do love Rutland!!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

100% agree with Ryan. Come to think of it he has always been an all-star at city hall. Always took issue with how staff always run the city and not the council. But so long as Ryan is at the helm I look the other way [icon_lol2.gif] Will be a sad day if he ever moves away to a bigger municipality that deserves talent like him.
[/quote]

I'll be glad to show him the door along with at least 5 other council members and the mayor............all of them are more than welcome to lend their incompetency to another part of the province.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Anonymous123 wrote:

Have you heard of Westcorp? Google them.

Westcorp Head Office
Phone: (780) 431-3300
Fax: (780) 431-3331
Email: [email protected]

Address:
200 College Plaza
8215 - 112 Street
Edmonton, AB T6G 2C8

Is it being done by WestCorp? I haven't had a chance to look up this info again - but I thought I read somewhere this particular development was being done by Trane Developments?

Return to “Central Okanagan”