Pharmacy at Supermarket in Kelowna.

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
buteman
Fledgling

Pharmacy at Supermarket in Kelowna.

Post by buteman »

I was quite taken aback yesterday when I stopped in at the pharmacy department at the *removed* on Gordon.

I have a minor issue with carpal tunnel syndrome and my doctor had recommended acetaminophen with codeine which helps to take the edge off.

I asked the pharmacy assistant for the product she then asked me for my " profile " ? excuse me ? why on earth would you need my profile ?

Name, address, date of birth, e-mail address ? what ? no, not at all I'm not giving you my personal information, I have no wish to be in your system.

Okay then, no information, no pills ( she, the assistant should have taken some pills perhaps might have improved her rather snarly attitude ). I asked her " are you really telling me that unless I give you my personal information you are going to refuse to sell me those pills ".

So that was that, I had to go elsewhere, asked for the pills and was given them no questions asked and that is the case in every pharmacy other than the pharmacy at the *removed* .

Anyway I just wanted to pass that on, I have a real dislike for that particular supermarket anyway, I will have no reason to go there again it was simply convenient.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 1st, 2017, 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Negative business review
whitecandle
Board Meister

Re: Pharmacy at Supermarket in Kelowna.

Post by whitecandle »

Acetaminophen with codeine is kept on the shelves in all pharmacies so there is/was no need to ask a pharmacist or pharmacy technician.

Since the product can cause liver damage if used for a prolonged period or interact with drugs you may be using it's wise to double-check before using. That being said, pharmacists are very knowledgeable in drug contraindications and will advise if the product is suitable.

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/acetaminophen-codeine.html
http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplem ... G-20074117
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ T3's are behind the counter, no need for prescription. Don't know of any Pharmacy that has ASA with codeine on the shelf.

All med's have side effects, so ask the Pharmacist
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
buteman
Fledgling

Post by buteman »

whitecandle wrote:Acetaminophen with codeine is kept on the shelves in all pharmacies so there is/was no need to ask a pharmacist or pharmacy technician.

Since the product can cause liver damage if used for a prolonged period or interact with drugs you may be using it's wise to double-check before using. That being said, pharmacists are very knowledgeable in drug contraindications and will advise if the product is suitable.

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/acetaminophen-codeine.html
http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplem ... G-20074117

No, not at all, acetaminophen with codeine is not kept on shelves. That particular product is kept behind the counter and must be asked for.

Drug contraindications are not a factor if you are not taking any other medication. I would much rather trust the word of my doctor as to whether the medication is suitable or not.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Used to find it on the shelves but haven't shopped for it lately. Wouldn't be surprised if it's been moved behind the counter.

Doctors are good at handing out prescriptions but I'd trust the pharmacist, especially if you use the same pharmacy, to let me know of any drug interactions as they have your prescriptions on file.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

buteman wrote: I would much rather trust the word of my doctor as to whether the medication is suitable or not.

My Doctor tells me to take the advice of the Pharmacist over his if there is any doubt.
Drugs and their interactions are what the Pharmacies are trained for and should always be the one to trust first.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pharmacists are trained in drug interactions & side effects of med's. I go to my Pharmacist on this before my Doctor.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

whitecandle wrote:Acetaminophen with codeine is kept on the shelves in all pharmacies so there is/was no need to ask a pharmacist or pharmacy technician.

What pharmacy do you shop at? Codeine products including cough syrups are behind the counter. No prescription required, but definitely not kept front-store.

GordonH wrote:T3's are behind the counter, no need for prescription. Don't know of any Pharmacy that has ASA with codeine on the shelf.

T3s are behind the counter and absolutely do require a prescription. There is a significant difference in strength between T3s (300mg acetaminophen/30mg codeine) versus the non-Rx T1s (300mg acetaminophen/8mg codeine).

ASA with codeine is also available the same way T1s are.

None of this surprises me though. If you want anything with codeine in Alberta you need to be registered and they track your purchases.

Return to “Health”