Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Changes

Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Post by Changes »

This is a bad idea!! This is too large of an Addiction Recovery site. There will be wave after wave of men transitioning through this facility. Many will have criminal records and/or serious mental health issues such as bi-polar, aggressive personality and more. This proposed facility is close to 3 schools, rinks, soccer fields, ball diamonds, gymnastic club, The YM and a Senior's Center. Freedoms Door and the Knights of Columbus should listen to and respect this family neighbourhood and abandon this wretched plan. The idea to "integrate" this facility into a family neighbourhood will result in the disintegration of the neighbourhood. Parents will have to drive kids everywhere when they often walk now. Women won't feel safe in this area anymore. Seniors will be scared to leave the house. The KofC was started by Father McGivney to benefit women & children - why not use the site for that purpose???
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Freedom's Door 50 bed facility at Rutland & McCurdy Rd

Post by Bpeep »

It's also a 4 story building going into a family based community of 2 story buildings

If this proposed halfway house goes through (which it won't, I don't see the local community allowing it)
It'll permanently erode the local community.
Whoever the hell thought of a halfway house at the edge of a school zone should consider a different vocation.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the way the future . we need large recovery places to reverse decades of a failed drug war
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

maryjane48 wrote:the way the future . we need large recovery places to reverse decades of a failed drug war

Yea.
We need them next door to your house.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

I heard on the radio the other day that it's going to be a mix of residential and commercial??? Also, it's not going to be a short term facility but rather a long term one. I hope city council will listen to the surrounding residents as I don't think that such a facility should be located there.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

put it on hein road where it will be used the most or maybe in blue heights park its already a dump
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

LTD wrote:put it on hein road where it will be used the most or maybe in blue heights park its already a dump

they will all walk down to hein and the fleabag hotels on the highway every day to get drugs anyway.they should build these places half way up to big white so there is nothing to do but recover and rehabilitate
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This was discussed on a couple of threads:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=70322&hilit=Freedom%27s+Door&start=1140
and I wonder if anyone heard what happened at the meeting April 6th?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Bman wrote:It's also a 4 story building going into a family based community of 2 story buildings

If this proposed halfway house goes through (which it won't, I don't see the local community allowing it)
It'll permanently erode the local community.
Whoever the hell thought of a halfway house at the edge of a school zone should consider a different vocation.

lower mission, upper mission, glenmore , dilworth , winfield, westside , why not,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

voice of reason wrote:
LTD wrote:put it on hein road where it will be used the most or maybe in blue heights park its already a dump

they will all walk down to hein and the fleabag hotels on the highway every day to get drugs anyway.they should build these places half way up to big white so there is nothing to do but recover and rehabilitate

Build it in the Christian Valley.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Wherever it goes, regardless of one's feelings about the "where" - it's desperately needed. One thing that is for certain - you won't find it next door to Mayor Sugar Plum's neighborhood.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't know much about its effects as a drug recovery site. From what I know it would be a clean facility, and people there would do the hardest to stay away from drugs, not bring them in there.

But putting 4-5 story building there is not a smart idea. It's a low density neighbourhood.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lyea i agree. it should in wine vinyard country . nestled in amounst a nice plot of grapes :130:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I understand it has a curfew.
Come ten pm, the doors are locked.
Anyone not in at that time is left out and free to roam the neighborhood all night.

Return to “Central Okanagan”