Bose headphones subject of lawsuit

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Bose headphones subject of lawsuit

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sci-tech/l ... oPlay=true

Bose, the maker of a popular line of audio players and headphones, is being sued for allegedly tracking the listening habits of its headphone users and then selling the information to third-party companies without permission.
The proposed class–action was filed Tuesday in Chicago and alleges Bose has been collecting data of its users’ choices in music, podcasts, news programming and all other audio they listen to.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Bose headphones subject of lawsuit

Post by Jlabute »

So Zak identified a method that Bose 'could' use to steal customer information through the Bose Connect app, and Bose denies they do it. Zak has no evidence other than he identified a possible method?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Simple solution just don't use the app or download it, since its not needed to listen to anything with headset.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

A lot of so called "free" apps are really just ways for companies to steal your data.

Nothing in life is free.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Merry wrote:A lot of so called "free" apps are really just ways for companies to steal your data.

Nothing in life is free.

Exactly, and the sooner all people realize this the better.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Simple solution just don't use the app or download it, since its not needed to listen to anything with headset.

How is that a simple solution? If this were true (not saying it is), then it would be no different then me walking into a BOSE Store and stuffing a set in my jacket and running off with them without paying. To me, that isn't a solution, thats simply ignoring a problem, or possible problem.

Merry wrote:A lot of so called "free" apps are really just ways for companies to steal your data.

Nothing in life is free.

Old Techie wrote:
Exactly, and the sooner all people realize this the better.

The thing is that many apps have very useful purposes, such as the BOSE app, maybe not to you, maybe not to me, but to some it is a feature that works for them, maybe even a feature that is the deciding factor for them. If you download and install an app, an its doing more than it claims it should be doing - such as stealing your info, wouldn't that be illegal? Perhaps tougher control and laws on such apps may be something to look into?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I do agree that tougher laws need to be in place regarding what is, and what is not, acceptable when it comes to using people's personal information in ways that the person never intended for it to be used.

At the very least, companies should be forced to disclose the fact that they do intend to utilize such information to enhance their bottom line.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Simple solution just don't use the app or download it, since its not needed to listen to anything with headset.

Dizzy1 wrote:How is that a simple solution? If this were true (not saying it is), then it would be no different then me walking into a BOSE Store and stuffing a set in my jacket and running off with them without paying. To me, that isn't a solution, thats simply ignoring a problem, or possible problem. vast majority of app users don't bother to read ultra fine print on any of those many apps they have on there phones.... thats the real problem, if you don't read it... then don't bother bi :cuss: hing later

The only way if true they can track listening habits of those using this headset is via the unneeded app, don't download the app. At least they can't track the listeners habits.

Of course all those grocery store customers using store rewards cards etc... etc are most likely not bothered by companies tracking them, so it should not matter the I guess.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Merry wrote:At the very least, companies should be forced to disclose the fact that they do intend to utilize such information to enhance their bottom line.

I believe they are required to do so, but where the problem often arises, is that far too many people can't be bothered to read the terms of use, and just install whatever it is they want.

I've seen posts from some involved in the IT field on this forum, that demonstrate they don't fully grasp the implications of some actions.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote: vast majority of app users don't bother to read ultra fine print on any of those many apps they have on there phones.... thats the real problem, if you don't read it... then don't bother bi :cuss: hing later

The only way if true they can track listening habits of those using this headset is via the unneeded app, don't download the app. At least they can't track the listeners habits.

Of course all those grocery store customers using store rewards cards etc... etc are most likely not bothered by companies tracking them, so it should not matter the I guess.

So if I install an app, read the fine print and it doesn't mention anywhere that any of my personal info, if collected by them, will be sold off to third parties and it turns out, in fact they are doing this - your solution is just don't install it?

For most people, data collection on apps isn't the problem, thats how many apps work, thats how my travel apps work - many people understand this - its the selling off, in most cases undisclosed, of that collected data that needs to be addressed. Simply saying not to install something that could be useful of you because the programer isn't being upfront isn't a solution.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:
I believe they are required to do so, but where the problem often arises, is that far too many people can't be bothered to read the terms of use, and just install whatever it is they want.

I've seen posts from some involved in the IT field on this forum, that demonstrate they don't fully grasp the implications of some actions.

I absolutely agree with that, most people don't read the fine print - but in all honesty, the fine print for the most simples of apps are sometimes ridiculously long LOL!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

I absolutely agree with that, most people don't read the fine print - but in all honesty, the fine print for the most simples of apps are sometimes ridiculously long LOL!

I agree with you they are long, and I also think that the purpose being to foster impatience, and compel people to scroll faster and not pay too close attention to what is written.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:
I agree with you they are long, and I also think that the purpose being to foster impatience, and compel people to scroll faster and not pay too close attention to what is written.

Absolutely.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: vast majority of app users don't bother to read ultra fine print on any of those many apps they have on there phones.... thats the real problem, if you don't read it... then don't bother bi :cuss: hing later

Dizzy1 wrote:So if I install an app, read the fine print and it doesn't mention anywhere that any of my personal info, if collected by them, will be sold off to third parties and it turns out, in fact they are doing this - your solution is just don't install it?

For most people, data collection on apps isn't the problem, thats how many apps work, thats how my travel apps work - many people understand this - its the selling off, in most cases undisclosed, of that collected data that needs to be addressed. Simply saying not to install something that could be useful of you because the programer isn't being upfront isn't a solution.

What is your solution?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:What is your solution?

Did you not read my initial post?

Accountability towards the sellers would be a start.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”