Road bikes hogging Valley Road

Home of the traffic rant.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Road bikes hogging Valley Road

Post by kelowna_proud »

On Tuesday May 9th I was following some traffic and 3 Spandexed out Road Bikes on Valley road. They were heading south on Valley and blew right past the 3 way stop going around 50 km/h. They weren't riding in the bike path but just outside of the white line. I watched the lead one fly into the middle of the road and ride a meter away from the bumper of a blue car. Then zig-zag back to the side again. I was behind a truck and trailer who I was following, then go to pass them as they couldn't keep up with traffic, and still not riding in the bike lane but just outside the white line. The one in the middle started yelling at the truck driver as he was passing. Truck driver looked to be motioning to move over/use the bike path. After the round-about at Longhill I passed the 3 and looked at them and they were all around 45-50 years old.

These bicyclers give themselves a bad name. The bike path was very clean but they would rather go slow, or go fast and cut into traffic. They don't have signals, brake lights, speedometers or insurance but they want to have fun and command the road like a motorcycle. BUT.......They like to break all the basic rules.

Ride in the bike path if there is one, and use those fancy disc brakes once in a while. Stop taunting road users and yelling and bitching at them when you get passed. You are the idiots pushing vehicles to cross the center lane to safely pass you.

We must share the road but next time maybe I should drive down valley with my right car tire 1 foot inside the bike path and see what bicyclist think of me.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Road bikes hogging Valley Road

Post by Jflem1983 »

Personally I hate the spandex . I cringe when I see a bunch of dudes in tights . The women don't offend so much but the guys are just lame
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
ken531a
Fledgling

Post by ken531a »

part of the attraction to many of these people is to push the buttons of vehicle driver and see what they can get away with . a little road rash is the only cure
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

im not sure what would make someone tempt fate on a bike with a vehicle the bike will lose every time and I see it almost every day these guys ride with the attitude that theyre invincible and the rules don't apply to them. I would like to see the rcmp start hanging around east Kelowna and start giving these offenders a tune up it seems the more in the group the worse they act giving them all a bad name.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Idiots who don't know just how much danger they're exposing themselves to.

Every time I see a cyclist have a boo hoo around town with an ambulance present and all the drama, I just shake my head. Just the other day, an old guy with no helmet cycling against moving traffic, where there was no bike lane. Idiotic beyond belief.

Two wheeled goofs. Lycra clad perils.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

I encounter a group of these people (maybe around 10 in the group) on Valley road sundays between 11 and noon. They ride 2 or 3 across and blow the 3 way stop by Union. I altered my route to the nearby roundabout after they almost hit me blowing the stop sign once, and multiple times where I was at the stop sign and had to wait until their entire group finished passing in front of me without stopping at their sign. Possibly the same group was heading up the Union rd hill last weekend riding 2-3 across preventing cars from getting past without crossing the center line.

Honestly I'm surprised they all haven't been run over by now.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just as their are brain dead idiots driving vehicles, their are bicyclists just as brain dead and believe rules of road don't apply to them.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

These must be the same morons that from Union in Wilden they take Long Ridge Dr. and decide this is the time to see how fast I can coast downhill on a residential street with vehicles parked everywhere along the street. 80 KPH is not an exaggeration in a 30 zone. One day someone will be backing out of their driveway and BANG..........$3,000 Carbon-fibre bike reduced to shreds. Hey, I will finally get to use my 100 FT. measuring tape. Maybe the Spandex helps to hold everything together for easier identification and less clean-up.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

lesliepaul wrote:These must be the same morons that from Union in Wilden they take Long Ridge Dr. and decide this is the time to see how fast I can coast downhill on a residential street with vehicles parked everywhere along the street. 80 KPH is not an exaggeration in a 30 zone. One day someone will be backing out of their driveway and BANG..........$3,000 Carbon-fibre bike reduced to shreds. Hey, I will finally get to use my 100 FT. measuring tape. Maybe the Spandex helps to hold everything together for easier identification and less clean-up.

Unbelievable.

I would add that it's recommended to back into a parking spot or your garage/driveway. Better visibility coming out.

These idiots are a reason why. On that street it's winding and has poor lines of visibility.

johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

lightspeed wrote:
Unbelievable.

I would add that it's recommended to back into a parking spot or your garage/driveway. Better visibility coming out.

These idiots are a reason why. On that street it's winding and has poor lines of visibility.

Better to have poor visibility backing into where my kids could be. Brilliant. Just had to get up at 5am to write this advice?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

johnny24 wrote:
lightspeed wrote:
Unbelievable.

Better to have poor visibility backing into where my kids could be. Brilliant. Just had to get up at 5am to write this advice?

I'll just leave this here. Someone else can help educate the ignorant and stupid.

https://dgidirect.ca/car-tips/why-backi ... ead-first/

according to the automotive experts at Wheels.ca, while parking frontwards is the most common way of pulling into a driveway, it’s the wrong approach to take.

http://drivinginstructorblog.com/q-is-i ... -driveway/

If you can, reverse INTO your driveway so that you don’t have to reverse OUT of it; usually that is a much safer option with much greater visibility.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”