Tents and garbage - Vernon north end

jimmy4321
Guru

Tents and garbage - Vernon north end

Post by jimmy4321 »

They ever gonna get rid of this. It's ugly as hell, they don't even try to hide their tents in the brush. One *bleep* had a tent pitched in the ditch if not far from it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Tents and garbage - Vernon north end

Post by bob vernon »

There will always be a small number in our society who just cannot look after themselves, or want to. There was a recent poll on Castanet that asked what we should do with the homeless. The largest number of voters said that we should "Crack down hard" on the homeless. What does that mean? Fine them? Some of these people don't even bother to pick up their welfare cheques. Move them to a place where we don't see them? Does that solve your problem with them?

Some homeless will join the rest of us if they are given a roof over their heads and regular meals. Some will continually lapse back into living in a tent in the bush. What should we do? Crack down hard? Real good and hard? Wading in with bear spray and night sticks will only disperse them briefly.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

“That camp is on the Ministry of Transportation-controlled right of way," said Kanester. "The city does not have jurisdiction over that area as it is an arterial highway."

“It would therefor fall to MOT to conduct any enforcement or removal along with perhaps the RCMP.”

Const. Jocelyn Noseworthy said police have not received any complaints about the camp.

Kanester said officials are reaching out to those in the camp to offer help.

“From the city's side, we have been ensuring through our COOL Team that the campers are aware of the services that are provided in the area for them,” said Kanester, referring to the Camp Okanagan Outreach Liaison Team which visits homeless camps on a regular basis.

“It is my understanding that the individuals in these camps are not interested in being provided services or moving into a shelter space, etc.”

Officials from the Upper Room Mission, which make up part of the COOL Team, have also contacted those living under the overpass, but their help was also declined.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192533
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
FullStop

Post by FullStop »

I think it's clear that we need to start occupying these spaces more routinely. Organize community groups to do "walk throughs" and make it known to vagrants that this is not their area. I think most of them are there because they have a form of solitude, a place where nobody bothers them. To me, "cracking down hard" means making them feel as uncomfortable as possible with their situation, while simultaneously offering them resources to change their situation or move on to somewhere else. Vernon should not be accommodating people who want to degrade our city - homeless or not!

No more hand outs, just pressure to move up or move on*

The homeless problem is creating a host of other issues for the city, including the formation of vigilante groups - something needs to be done about this - Vernon is looking like Detroit, dirty and full of gangs and derelicts!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

FullStop wrote:I think it's clear that we need to start occupying these spaces more routinely. Organize community groups to do "walk throughs" and make it known to vagrants that this is not their area. I think most of them are there because they have a form of solitude, a place where nobody bothers them. To me, "cracking down hard" means making them feel as uncomfortable as possible with their situation, while simultaneously offering them resources to change their situation or move on to somewhere else. Vernon should not be accommodating people who want to degrade our city - homeless or not!

No more hand outs, just pressure to move up or move on*

The homeless problem is creating a host of other issues for the city, including the formation of vigilante groups - something needs to be done about this - Vernon is looking like Detroit, dirty and full of gangs and derelicts!

I still believe that is the drawing card. You provide meals for these people, and that is what draws them close to your City. If you look at their costs to survive they are paid enough with Tax payers funding to feed themselves. Maybe they will move on if you stop catering to them. In many cases can collection, welfare and being fed they have more disposable income at the end of the month then the average MIDDLE CLASS family as we are taxed to death.

I wish they had people on welfare providing blood, if they are throwing their money away on drugs, cut them off and give them a job! Oilfield workers and other industries have to pee test or they are paycheck free!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

we have tried your nazi like approach to homeless and drug mental illness problems . its time for you type of folks to stop beaking off about things you clear cant comprehend . the proffessionals in these areas are starting to implement the ideas that work .

if you really were interested in helping your community you would engage these people and treat them like they were your sons and daughters because they are someones . :smt045
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

True Christian and Canadian values.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:if you really were interested in helping your community you would engage these people and treat them like they were your sons and daughters because they are someones . :smt045

Maybe some parents tossed them out - used a little tough love.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Following this Sunday's morning service, the congregation will be holding a visitation to the homeless camp at the north end of town. Members are asked to bring bear spray and softball bats. Brother James has kindly brought a two gallon can of gasoline to be used in cleaning out the camp. Following the visitation, members will return to the church for lunch, followed by an hour of Bible study.

And we think that the Taliban and Isis are messed up.
FullStop

Post by FullStop »

I don't understand why certain posters are making adversarial/sarcastic remarks about Christians, or how faith relates to this conversation at all. Ironically, it is the churches who are encouraging social initiatives to help the homeless people in our city.

I haven't noticed any improvements as an effect of the handouts homeless folk receive in Vernon. Has a tolerant and accepting approach done anything to reduce the poverty and drug issues that so many are plagued with? Being compassionate is a wonderful quality, but it should not get in the way of reason , or mindfulness of long-term consequences. If we (as a community) were genuinely concerned with helping these people improve their quality of life, we would not embrace pseudo-altruism; its effects are limited to the short-term alleviation of a minor symptom of a much greater problem. At times doing the "right thing" and taking the kindest action possible is actually counter-intuitive to what seems like an obvious solution.

I care about the homeless, but enabling them to suffer en-masse in our city is not something I will ever support just because a few politically-correct individuals want to feel like they're doing a good deed.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

They're baaaaaaaack!

Repeating this: there will ALWAYS be a small percentage of society who cannot take care of themselves. Period. Plus the province, many years ago, closed most of the psychiatric institutions in the province. Where did those patients go? Out onto the streets. Better to give tax cuts to the wealthy than care for the people at the bottom of the pile.

The number of children in foster care in BC has never been higher. When foster children reach 19 they have "aged out", and no longer are funded. They are turned out on their own. Where do they go? Out onto the streets. Christy claims that BC "leads the nation" in caring for kids who have aged out. Funny how we lead the nation in so many things, at least in the press releases. How many of us in stable homes still assist our kids when they reach 19?

The province decreases funding for shelter beds once the cold weather ends. Where do these people go? Out onto the streets. It gives new meaning to the words "summer camp".
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

bob vernon wrote:They're baaaaaaaack!
Period. Plus the province, many years ago, closed most of the psychiatric institutions in the province. Where did those patients go? Out onto the streets. Better to give tax cuts to the wealthy than care for the people at the bottom of the pile.

I don't know if all the street people are suffering, many it is a way of choice. You can't afford low income housing and still have bad habits. I believe too many think all street people are suffering from mental health issues. IF you believe a choice of life, blowing it up your nose, or injecting it is a mental issue, then your bang on.

I however look at it without rose colored glasses as I have spoken to many over my years!
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I have no issue with those that choose unconventional living arrangements or standards
I do have issue with parasitic behavior

If I want to live without the burden of debt or constraint, I'll do so. What I will NOT do is park my tent in the very communities I intend to separate myself from.

If someone wants to live in a tent, then all the power to them. We have VAST wilderness in Canada where you can do just that.
Don't claim to want to be separate from the very society that you expect to support you.
If you want to be a part of society, then you have to play by certain rules. That's simple.

If you choose to live outside of that society, then pack it on your back and get out of dodge country.
Learn to live separated from society and be self sufficient.

I choose to live within this society.
I have goals for my future that include living outside of this society. At that time I fully intend to live unplugged, off grid and self sufficient. I won't be panhandling, stealing or waiting for a support cheque. This I know.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Very well said, indeed !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “North Okanagan”