War plaques thrown in trash

monroe
Übergod

Re: War plaques thrown in trash

Post by monroe »

I was definitly no angel as a youngster -but there were some things i was taught to respect. War memorials were one.

As voice of reason said, its pure assumption to think it was a youngster.

Does anyone even know *bleep* was there.

And yeah, FINGER CHOPPING.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

youjustcomplain wrote:This thread is loaded with calls to kill, dismember and brand... Quite a bit of vitriol over the removal of a war plaque.

Grow up.

You just complain.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

monroe wrote:You just complain.

It's just a name.
Last edited by youjustcomplain on May 15th, 2017, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

the truth wrote:you do know what the plaque stands for i hope, its not just a plaque

I do know what it stands for. But the physical piece that was removed and trashed is just a plaque. The sentiment still exists and the plaque can and will be replaced. I like the fact that it happened, as much as you or anyone else here does, which is to say I don't like it. However lets keep things in perspective here. Someone was very thoughtless and did something stupid. Without knowing who it was, or why they did it, it seems a little stupid to call for their death or dismemberment don't you think?

What if it was a war vet with mental health issues who was really unwell and decided that the plaque was just lip service and was fed up? (I'm not suggesting this is the case, but would this group of internet tough guys still want him dead?)
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Who is calling for death?

Dismemberment, thats different.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

monroe wrote:Who is calling for death?
Dismemberment, thats different.

The author of the first reply in this thread has two likes at this time:

i hope whoever did this gets lynched by the locals before the police find them

lynch
verb
(of a mob) kill (someone), especially by hanging, for an alleged offense with or without a legal trial.

Regardless, murder, dismember, tattoo (brand). All three punishments belong in countries dictated by ruthless tyrants. That type of treatment to our citizens is not what the veterans went to war for. If they had wanted that, they could have just moved.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Vandalism is someone who has total lack of respect (someone else's property) for either private or public property. impo if caught should be punished by very large number of community service hours i.e cleaning & fixing vandalized items
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

This was likely done by someone who got a thrill from the outrage it would cause. Like most vandalism, it's not done because someone thinks it's okay, or that they have a special right to damage things. It's their FU to the world.

The outrage, the revenge fantasies...knowing people will feel that way is precisely why vandals do it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Is there a reason other than the previously noted outrage click traffic this thread is still in the Central Okanagan forums, and not in the North Okanagan forums? The offense was committed in Lumby.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Ugh ok, no. I've never vandalised a war memorial. I meant stupid juvenile antics. I'm European descent and I wouldn't even exist if it not for war. I shed literal tears on remembrance day....

And I get that some are angry, but fingers and limbs being suggestively chopped off is what they do in repressive regimes and dictator back water countries. Not in my home country and certainly not for a young teenager. an adult would have sold the bronze for scrap or if political protest made a more serious attempt.

My adult possessions have been vandalised so I sympathize.
But let's be real people. And if you want the wear the black hood may I suggest Saudi Arabia, you'll fit in nicely there.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bring back the lash. At the cenotaph some Friday afternoon. It's right across from the high school and attendance should be mandatory. To see what reward you get for being this disrespectful. Do you now see what happens to a society when the masses are given too much freedom?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bob vernon wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bring back the lash. At the cenotaph some Friday afternoon. It's right across from the high school and attendance should be mandatory. To see what reward you get for being this disrespectful. Do you now see what happens to a society when the masses are given too much freedom?

you got that right :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I like my brand them then ban them approach better

compulsory public lashing seems so archaic lol

How about putting them on a wheel of pain to generate electricity for the community they offend?

Now, to come up with a justice system based on time spent on the wheel.
At least we'd get something back from them as a society. Unlike jail, or other means of reprimand in place today.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

the truth wrote:
bob vernon wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bring back the lash. At the cenotaph some Friday afternoon. It's right across from the high school and attendance should be mandatory. To see what reward you get for being this disrespectful. Do you now see what happens to a society when the masses are given too much freedom?

you got that right :smt045

Honestly? I don't have much other than to say, go live in the ####ing jungle, as far away from civilized society that are my neighbours in a first world nation ruled by civilized law.

Animals
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I have yet to see civilized law in any nation

where is this Shambhala of which you speak?

Return to “North Okanagan”