Vehicle tires made for specific spot

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Vehicle tires made for specific spot

Post by fvkasm2x »

So, odd question perhaps...

I am not overly informed about vehicle maintenance. In the past, I've done my own brakes/pads before, my own oil changes and some very minor tinkering. I take almost everything into a shop for the job though, just because I am not overly ambitious about learning and it's simply easier.

I have always changed out my summer/winter tires though.

We've recently bought a newer vehicle with the sensors in them that tell you on the dash computer what your tire pressure is and all that stuff. Damn technology!

I changed over my tires from winters, but then ran over a screw and got a flat. Took it in for repair and the dealership told me that I had my tires in the wrong spots. I was told that certain tires are for the front/back and left/right sides.

How in the hell does one know which goes where... and what is the purpose of this?

I've never heard of this before and can't find anything on Google. Any info would be appreciated.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Vehicle tires made for specific spot

Post by Bsuds »

A long as they are all the same size then front back should not matter. Many tires today are directional meaning they are designed to turn one way. So they would be mounted on the rims for which side of the car they are on. Usually there is something on the sidewall showing the direction.

https://www.kaltire.com/whats-differenc ... -patterns/

I found that with the search for "directional tires"
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It's those damn sensors! The sensors have to be programmed with each tire rotation. Kal Tire on the Westside charges $60 for mounted change over and programming. When you buy the tires from them, they charge $0 for programming at the time of mounting. If you have the damn sensors, you need brand new sensors with each mounting and balancing, but I don't know the cost for that.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote: If you have the damn sensors, you need brand new sensors with each mounting and balancing.

I have not heard that before and on my Ford Escape new sensors were not required. On my newer VW the computer measures the tire rotation and is a simple setting in the menu. You also have to tell it when you put snow tires on because the size is a bit different and changes the setting.
TPS sensors can be expensive depending on the type.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Uh oh... someone I know was duped into new ones for the changeover.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

A quick Google search did bring up the possibility of them having to be replaced as they could wear out or be damaged during a tire change. So it's not impossible, but I never had that problem and had the Ford for 7 years.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

kgcayenne wrote:It's those damn sensors! The sensors have to be programmed with each tire rotation. Kal Tire on the Westside charges $60 for mounted change over and programming. When you buy the tires from them, they charge $0 for programming at the time of mounting. If you have the damn sensors, you need brand new sensors with each mounting and balancing, but I don't know the cost for that.

Yup, not required unless the shop damages them. I purchased a programming tool online for about $80. Used it many times. On most vehicles the sensors can be reprogrammed through the vehicle by letting out some air of each tire ( check manual).
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm old school, I'd be looking to tell the dealership to take those senors and shove them were sun does not shine.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

When I was going to put Rims and Snow tires on the Escape one tire shop insisted I had to buy the sensors as well.
I went to a different shop and spent about $400 less without sensors. Hell I drove without sensors for close to 40 years and I'm pretty sure I can tell when I have a flat. They lost a $1200 sale over it.

I just ignored the warning light on the dash and it went off after a few minutes driving.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

kgcayenne wrote:It's those damn sensors! The sensors have to be programmed with each tire rotation. Kal Tire on the Westside charges $60 for mounted change over and programming. When you buy the tires from them, they charge $0 for programming at the time of mounting. If you have the damn sensors, you need brand new sensors with each mounting and balancing, but I don't know the cost for that.

Ya, I don't know much about these new things... but I know that's not true.

I changed them over myself and the sensors worked just fine and in fact... I bought these tires off Kijiji from a guy with the same kind of vehicle as mine.

So they were never on my car before I changed them over myself for the winter.

Unless your friend was buying new sensors with the tires? It's possible to buy just the sensors and/or tires by themselves

Bsuds wrote:A long as they are all the same size then front back should not matter. Many tires today are directional meaning they are designed to turn one way. So they would be mounted on the rims for which side of the car they are on. Usually there is something on the sidewall showing the direction.

https://www.kaltire.com/whats-differenc ... -patterns/

I found that with the search for "directional tires"

Cool, thanks for that
hurricanejohn

Post by hurricanejohn »

you could have directional tires if you do have them there should be a arrow on the sidewall indicating rotation

Return to “Creative Endeavours”